Hillwood 44point loss perplexing...

nrgrizzlies

Seriously. They played McGavock to a 9-7 game...McGavock only lost to Hunters Lane 7-6.

Then Hunters Lane beats Hillwood 44-0. The Toppers get 3 total first downs...less than a yard a carry rushing...

seven total passing yards...3 fumbles - I didn't see the game but could they have played worse???

McGavock who they played almost dead even recently won tonight 40-10.

Is it time for Coach Phillips to read his kids the riot act?

Maybe we can hear from a Hillwood person who was at the game for a better explanation if there is one.

keep in mind, a few years ago, they had a 12 game win streak in 4-a following a year that was almost as good as that one (9-2)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Phillips is good guy - coached at Centennial last year - give him time to turn things around!

I see Coach Phillips getting out of there as soon as the next metro opening comes available. He is too good of a guy to put up with the mess he inherited. Hillwood's only hope is for a miracle rezoning effort by the school board. The Hillwood community shouldn't hold their breath on that. Next year will be worse as they are losing most of the little talent they got.

I see Coach Phillips getting out of there as soon as the next metro opening comes available. He is too good of a guy to put up with the mess he inherited. Hillwood's only hope is for a miracle rezoning effort by the school board. The Hillwood community shouldn't hold their breath on that. Next year will be worse as they are losing most of the little talent they got.

Any rumors floating around out there as to who the HC for the new Cane Ridge HS will be? They are supposed to begin with only 9th-10th graders so I assume they will play only a freshman team/JV team the first year...Come to think of it, I don't know of any Metro public high schools that have JV teams, only freshman & varsity.

Any rumors floating around out there as to who the HC for the new Cane Ridge HS will be? They are supposed to begin with only 9th-10th graders so I assume they will play only a freshman team/JV team the first year...Come to think of it, I don't know of any Metro public high schools that have JV teams, only freshman & varsity.

There are lots of JV teams in surrounding areas they can play. I saw a listing recently that Creekwood had an open date for their JV's and was looking to fill it - so the opportunities will be there. Plus they can scrimmage the varsity teams of small schools for experience while building the program.

I will put my money on Greg Abner being the man at Cane Ridge next year.

I have heard that too, but I find that to be an incredibly short sighted hire by the powers that be in Metro. No offense to Abner, who really has a job that is possibly tougher than Hillwood at Glencliff, but wouldn't you go after someone who has some track record of success on the field for that job?? Cane Ridge could be the plum athletic sports job of the city, due to its proximity to athletes, but a good mix of some upper middle class neighborhoods in "Brentioch" that will be zoned there. To be honest, but I'm not so sure that a Mike Woodward wouldn't be a better fit there than right down the road at Antioch. But, as Runtheball and Batman have told me on here in the past, nothing Metro does makes a lot of sense.

People think I'm stupid, but I think a veteran guy like Buddy Brown or Terry Anderson would be better fits for that job. They know the area, they understand the foundation blocks for building a program, and they could groom a young successor, like a Trent Anderson, to take over down the road. But that........................would make too much sense.

Back to the topic of Hillwood's game last night...I guess nobody who posts here was there...all we have to go by is the box score. It makes no sense. Hillwood only got beat 35-7 at Lavergne (ok, maybe LHS it took it easy on them a little)...but why go from playing McGavock and Gallatin down to the wire to getting blown out in what sounds like (from the box score stats) a real one-sided debacle.

Back to the topic of Hillwood's game last night...I guess nobody who posts here was there...all we have to go by is the box score. It makes no sense. Hillwood only got beat 35-7 at Lavergne (ok, maybe LHS it took it easy on them a little)...but why go from playing McGavock and Gallatin down to the wire to getting blown out in what sounds like (from the box score stats) a real one-sided debacle.

Lavergne is REALLY GOOD. McGavock and Gallatin are mediocre at best. Give Lavergne some credit. Quite frankly Hunters Lane is better than Hillwood.

Hillwood is better than last yr though. I think Mose is doing good things there.

I have heard that too, but I find that to be an incredibly short sighted hire by the powers that be in Metro. No offense to Abner, who really has a job that is possibly tougher than Hillwood at Glencliff, but wouldn't you go after someone who has some track record of success on the field for that job?? Cane Ridge could be the plum athletic sports job of the city, due to its proximity to athletes, but a good mix of some upper middle class neighborhoods in "Brentioch" that will be zoned there. To be honest, but I'm not so sure that a Mike Woodward wouldn't be a better fit there than right down the road at Antioch. But, as Runtheball and Batman have told me on here in the past, nothing Metro does makes a lot of sense.

People think I'm stupid, but I think a veteran guy like Buddy Brown or Terry Anderson would be better fits for that job. They know the area, they understand the foundation blocks for building a program, and they could groom a young successor, like a Trent Anderson, to take over down the road. But that........................would make too much sense.

Why would you hire some "old fart" that has never been deep (semi-final or finals) in the playoffs for the Cane Ridge football position? If the school has that many good athletes go out and hire the best man possible even if you have to go out of state.