A/AA State Tourney Bound

ERidger

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the game is what time?

7pm sharp, GBCat2. You won't want to miss the Lady Cats Mommas. They'll be 'performing' also, along with 'the sock-in-it lady' (trust me, you'll know her when you...hear...her). /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

So, be there or be square!...and tell all your friends!! We love BIG crowds.

None of our girls have ever been to a Sub-state game before so just to get here has been a blessing. Our future is looking brighter so an experience like this will play a huge roll in the coming years...

I think this is a very appropriate statement, and I hope the various Greenbrier posters would agree / can attest to this. Consider 2 years ago, they hosted Notre Dame in the sectional and lost, then last year hosted East Ridge and beat them to advance to the state and this year Greenbrier is the odds on favorite to win the state.

Absolutely appropriate...and humble, VballDaddy.

Greenbrier has a storied history of being good in v'ball, though. In fact, our former and current coaches (assistant, too) played on some very good teams in the 80's, I believe. And subsequently, Mitzi Grogan, a current GHS assistant principal and 'the' aforementioned former head v'ball coach, built this sport into a 'program' way before 'club' was a buzzword. I don't mean to sound exclusive or arrogant, but our players are expected to bump-set-spike from the first day on the court in our middle school program. 'Passing' over the net is considered a lost opportunity for us and I believe you'll see this displayed if you follow our teams. When excellence is expected, the program moves to another level. And those players that follow expect to win. Anderson Co. is a shining example of this concept as well.

I'm sure there will be at least a few former players (and parents) in the gym tomorrow night. Some even travel with us to this day. If we are fortunate enough to make it to next Friday, school will probably be let out early so students, teachers & administrators can come and support the team. In our small town of Greenbrier (pop. ~4,000), we loves us some volleyball!

GO Lady Cats! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Absolutely appropriate...and humble, VballDaddy.

Greenbrier has a storied history of being good in v'ball, though. In fact, our former and current coaches (assistant, too) played on some very good teams in the 80's, I believe. And subsequently, Mitzi Grogan, a current GHS assistant principal and 'the' aforementioned former head v'ball coach, built this sport into a 'program' way before 'club' was a buzzword. I don't mean to sound exclusive or arrogant, but our players are expected to bump-set-spike from the first day on the court in our middle school program. 'Passing' over the net is considered a lost opportunity for us and I believe you'll see this displayed if you follow our teams. When excellence is expected, the program moves to another level. And those players that follow expect to win. Anderson Co. is a shining example of this concept as well.

I'm sure there will be at least a few former players (and parents) in the gym tomorrow night. Some even travel with us to this day. If we are fortunate enough to make it to next Friday, school will probably be let out early so students, teachers & administrators can come and support the team. In our small town of Greenbrier (pop. ~4,000), we loves us some volleyball!

GO Lady Cats! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

You definitely have a reason to "thump your chest" but tell me was not last year the first time the Vball team made it to state?

Don't quote me, but I think the first time was in 2000 ??? A looong time ago. And let's not forget, our district used to be a battleground with Portland every year. Kind of like AC and KC now, and ND and ER last year. In 2003 we lost to Goodpasture (who lost to Page in the Finals) to advance, if my recollection is correct.

I don't mean to sound exclusive or arrogant, but our players are expected to bump-set-spike from the first day on the court in our middle school program. 'Passing' over the net is considered a lost opportunity for us and I believe you'll see this displayed if you follow our teams.

Correctamundo 5-Sport... the ol' bump-bump-bump in middle school SHOULD be a thing of the past. some schools still do that, but i think it is more of a lack of good coaching at that level.

my daughter was so lucky to have a former college player coach her in middle school. 3 years of doing it the correct way had her (and the others) prepared for the transition into high school, ok that and she was a 6'-0 freshman.

that coach is now the assistant coach at KC and two former KC players are coaching at the middle school feeder jess went to.

I think this is a very appropriate statement, and I hope the various Greenbrier posters would agree / can attest to this. Consider 2 years ago, they hosted Notre Dame in the sectional and lost, then last year hosted East Ridge and beat them to advance to the state and this year Greenbrier is the odds on favorite to win the state.

Hey KCDaddy, I wonder if any of of our little teams out East have a chance against the odds on favorite to win the state?

I don't know either, but if I was a bettin' man, I'd go with the favorite.

I hear the Finals on Friday are being sponsored by a local 'concrete' company. All the sand bags will have been used up by then. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Announcements