5A AP TOP 10

rigger101

Meaning no disrespect, but could you tell me who Brandon Messick is?

He is a player from Oakland who got his neck broke in the game against Smyrna last week. Great kid that got to come home yesterday but is going to have to wear a HALO device for the next two months. He still may have to have surgery though on the vertabre he broke.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you couldnt be more correct. will be VERY interesting to see how everything turns out, although i feel like for once HS football is more predictable this year than NCAA football is lol.

I would have to agree. To the topic: I still think you have to evaluate a region as whole before making a statement about who is best. In my opinion region 4 has it THIS YEAR as you can only evaluate these things on a year to year basis. Reason being, as I stated in another post, you have to look at the bottom teams. I think that the bottom teams in region 2 can't hang with the bottom teams in region 4. So I have to give it to Region 4 this year.

What does that mean.... Nothing

Don't agree....Cool.

Like others have said it really doesn't matter but it is fun to talk about and creates a good debate.

To that end, I think that this years playoffs will be the most competive playoffs in years!! Usually you could fill out most of your playoff bracket with a pen. Well bust out the pencil for this year!! It's going to come down to whoever is playing the best at years end (cliche). In years past the top teams in the state would blow out teams. I don't see a lot of blowouts across that state anymore. Is it just me?? EVERY week is dogfight.

I have personally seen games in both region 2 (Oak Ridge, William Blount) and Region 4( Riverdale, Blackman, Smyrna) and I must say the games have been competitve.

I can't wait!! Get your popcorn ready! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

It is a shame that Region 2 and 4 have to face each other in the semi's instead of the Championship game. For example in the 2004 semi's the game between Oak Ridge and Riverdale was MUCH tougher and a better game than the actual final game for the gold ball.

Different regions run in cycles. For instance Region 6 has some very good teams in it that can be VERY tough. They have proved this by how many teams they have sent to the finals each of the last few years.

Admitting I am prejudiced I will say Region 4 is VERY solid this year. Will we be in the big dance? I don't know, but that is the way I would bet right now. Will it be region 2 year? I don't know but the SEMI game will be one to watch!

Class 5A

1. Riverdale (16) 7-0 1

2. White Station (1) 7-0 3

3. Millington 7-0 4

4. Farragut 6-1 96 T5

5. William Blount (1) 5-2 90 9

6. Smyrna 5-2 81 T5

7. Oak Ridge 6-1 74 2

8. Bearden 7-1 65 7

9. Whitehaven 6-1 62 8

10. Wilson Central 7-0 30

Congrats to the young men from Region 2!

Farragut, WB, & OR all in the top 10! Ooltewah has been in the top 10 this year and I would think that Owls are somewhere in the top 12!

Is there a better region in the state this year?

BTW- I know Reg 4 has 3 teams also but the comp drops off after WC! IMHO - Ooltewah makes Reg 2 the tuffest region

As some others have mentioned, the only way to establish these rankings is on the field, and that isn't happening in a way that would allow anyone to prove what region has the edge over another.

I do believe Whitehaven is drastically under rated. I'm hoping White Station continues rolling and makes it to the championship game. But if we don't. I'd have my money on Whitehaven. Houston should still be in the top 10 in spite of their loss to Whitehaven.

I know the teams in central and east Tn are tough, and have a proven track record over the years. But I suspect the west Tn teams will be rattling some cages this year. Stay tuned! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

As others have said its to hard to determine which region is better of the 2. I am biased to region 2 because I am a William Blount fan but there is no doubt region 4 is a great region with teams like Riverdale, Smyrna, Lebanon, Wilson Central, and Lavergne. I hope that we get to meet up in the semi finals. GO GOVS!!!

also going a step further in the recent debate of these 2 regions (this thread and other threads)...

On The Ball Magazine has a good formula to compare the 2 regions, no suprise here that region 4 was marked at the top. riverdale was marked #1 in 5A by this formula and #2 overall in the state. this is a true formula going off of results, not speculation

http://ontheballmag.com/headlines.cfm?a=327

Thanks for that info.

I agree it changes every few years. However with OR being in the State Game a few years ago and the Owls within a few points of the game last year. Region 2 is on the move.

I agree there needs to be a system where regions do not face each other every year in the same round.

REGION 25A IS BY FAR THE TOUGHEST IN THE STATE. FIRST OF ALL WE HAVE THE BEST RUNNING BACKS ( BRIAN MARSHALL, ANDRE STRERLING, JARED STEHENS) AND LEGENDARY COACHES LIKE BENNY MONROE AND TOM WEATHERS. ID LOVE FOR YOU TO NAME TWO BETTER COACHES THAN THOSE TWO IN THE SAME REGION. TO GIVE YOU AND EXAMPLE OF OUR LEVEL OF PLAY IF MCMINN LOSES TO WILLIAM BLOUNT THEY COULD FINISH THE SEASON AT 7-3 AND NOT EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. NOW NAME ANOTHER REGION EVEN HALF THAT TOUGH!!!!!

REGION 25A IS BY FAR THE TOUGHEST IN THE STATE. FIRST OF ALL WE HAVE THE BEST RUNNING BACKS ( BRIAN MARSHALL, ANDRE STRERLING, JARED STEHENS) AND LEGENDARY COACHES LIKE BENNY MONROE AND TOM WEATHERS. ID LOVE FOR YOU TO NAME TWO BETTER COACHES THAN THOSE TWO IN THE SAME REGION. TO GIVE YOU AND EXAMPLE OF OUR LEVEL OF PLAY IF MCMINN LOSES TO WILLIAM BLOUNT THEY COULD FINISH THE SEASON AT 7-3 AND NOT EVEN MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. NOW NAME ANOTHER REGION EVEN HALF THAT TOUGH!!!!!

One position and 3 players do not make a region. Same goes with naming 2 coaches. I could throw out Aydelott and Shadowens in region 4...both have championships, same goes for Crawford and Rector in Region 6.

Top to bottom region 4 has better TEAMS!!!!! Put region 2's 8 versus region 4's 8 and region 4 goes 6-2.

Actually Independence of Region 6 went 7-3 last season and did not get in the playoffs. And Coach Crawford of Brentwood and Coach Rector of Ravenwood both have State Championships in the last 5 years. Now I'm not argueing that region 6 is the best in the state, because it is NOT(both regions 2 and 4 are hands down better). However normally region 6 is the "cream of the crop" region across the state in 5a football they are just in a down year this season.

As some others have mentioned, the only way to establish these rankings is on the field, and that isn't happening in a way that would allow anyone to prove what region has the edge over another.

I do believe Whitehaven is drastically under rated. I'm hoping White Station continues rolling and makes it to the championship game. But if we don't. I'd have my money on Whitehaven. Houston should still be in the top 10 in spite of their loss to Whitehaven.

I know the teams in central and east Tn are tough, and have a proven track record over the years. But I suspect the west Tn teams will be rattling some cages this year. Stay tuned! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

As far as the schools that hold the most state titles (the only "ranking" that matters) here is where the number fall. As for Region 2 or region 4 only two teams make the list; Region 2 - Oak Ridge & Region 4 - Riverdale. A better measurement would be to look at east, middle and west. It does not show that historically there is a clear cut winner between east vs. middle, but it does show that west needs to sharpen their pencil.

East - 50

Middle - 43

West - 8

State Titles (Top 10)

1. Dobyns-Bennett - 13

1. Montgomery Bell Academy - 13

3. Maryville - 11

4. Brentwood Academy - 10

5. Oak Ridge - 8

5. Alcoa - 8

7. Battle Ground Academy - 6

7. Chattanooga Central - 6

7. Trousdale County - 6

10. Riverdale - 4

10. Marion County - 4

10. Milan - 4

10. Evangelical Christian School - 4

10. Baylor - 4

As far as the schools that hold the most state titles (the only "ranking" that matters) here is where the number fall. As for Region 2 or region 4 only two teams make the list; Region 2 - Oak Ridge & Region 4 - Riverdale. A better measurement would be to look at east, middle and west. It does not show that historically there is a clear cut winner between east vs. middle, but it does show that west needs to sharpen their pencil.

East - 50

Middle - 43

West - 8

State Titles (Top 10)

1. Dobyns-Bennett - 13

1. Montgomery Bell Academy - 13

3. Maryville - 11

4. Brentwood Academy - 10

5. Oak Ridge - 8

5. Alcoa - 8

7. Battle Ground Academy - 6

7. Chattanooga Central - 6

7. Trousdale County - 6

10. Riverdale - 4

10. Marion County - 4

10. Milan - 4

10. Evangelical Christian School - 4

10. Baylor - 4

Wildcat Gator, you put numbers to what I said. No question the West doesn't have the consistency in state championships that the East and Central areas do. But I do believe we have our pencils in the sharpener....we'll see what comes out! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />