Knox Central vs. Knox West

goblue08091

Of course it counts! I was talking about out of region games.

I certainly didn't mean to take anything away from the Panthers. They have had a really good season and I agree that Lowe has done a great job there and I expect them to be even better next year. I just don't agree with the way TSSAA decides playoff teams beyond the head-to-head play. I think they should at least use tie-breaker rule E2.

E2:"The team who has the greatest number of victories over teams winning at least 50 percent or more of their games"

Seriously all of West's out of region opponents were 5A and Central even played Farragut but look at Powell's schedule. You can't say (if West loses and Powell wins) that Powell deserves to go over West who they killed.

Powell played, and defeated, 5A Campbell County, who still has a shot at making the playoffs from their region. Nope, Campbell County isn't as stong as Farragut or Bearden, but they did get a win over a 5A school, and a decisive win at that.

If Central beats West and Powell beats Clinton, then, yes, Powell deserves to go to the playoffs.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell played, and defeated, 5A Campbell County, who still has a shot at making the playoffs from their region. Nope, Campbell County isn't as stong as Farragut or Bearden, but they did get a win over a 5A school, and a decisive win at that.

If Central beats West and Powell beats Clinton, then, yes, Powell deserves to go to the playoffs.

But it's still not completely fair. Cause if West or Powell loses somebody gets screwed. Powell who destroyed Central(who lost to South Doyle) wouldn't go if they lost. And same with West if they lose. There should be some kind of tie breaker not sure how but gotta be something better than this.

But it's still not completely fair. Cause if West or Powell loses somebody gets screwed. Powell who destroyed Central(who lost to South Doyle) wouldn't go if they lost. And same with West if they lose. There should be some kind of tie breaker not sure how but gotta be something better than this.

They should just do what they do in a lot of other states - implement a power ranking system that determines which teams go to the playoffs. In Ohio, it encourages teams to schedule tougher non-region opponents, and no one argues who's schedule was tougher/weaker.

totally agree with that....but Campbell County is nowhere near the talent level or the football level period of a Bearden or Farragut team both of which are expectd to make very deep runs into the playoffs where as somone stated earlier that CC will barely (if at all ) get in.......just a thought.....not to mention Powell lost to West.....

I don't disagree with you at all. Somebody is going to be left out in that scenario, but somebody would be left out no matter what the tie breaking procedure is. The bottom line is that only 4 teams can make it, and unless the three that are tied played the exact same schedule, including non-region games, no system is "fair".

I do believe that West will beat Central, so things will work themselves out, as they usually do.

On Mark Packer's High School Heroes program tonight he said that Central's game tomorrow will be extremely emotional for the players, but he said he had agreed not to reveal the reason why until tomorrow. Could it be that Joel Helton announces his retirement after this season? If so, will that give the Bobkitties the extra motivation they need to beat West and make the playoffs?

According to a source at the Halls Shopper it is because Helton had to leave practice this week and is in the hospital and had to have emergency surgery and likely will not be on the sideline, it being senior night and all. Let's all pray he is doing great.

I believe that to be the case, as well. I'm not sure about the surgery part, but I don't think he'll be at the game tonight.

I believe that to be the case, as well. I'm not sure about the surgery part, but I don't think he'll be at the game tonight.

I heard similar information earlier. I was at the school yesterday afternoon and don't recall seeing him at practice.

Hope he recovers.

As far as the game goes. Central just hasn't lived up to expectations to say the least. They lost two games to inferior teams. Powell and S.D. Tonight they play a very talented West team. West is just if not more athletic than Central. Defense for West is improving. It will take a stellar effort as well as the wave of emotion on senior night to carry the Cats to victory. Effort will be there emotion will be there but I am afraid it won't be enough.

West 23 Central 19