Lenoir City at Maryville

jacketsfan66

Maybe I have a little Lou Holtz in me. I have just seen too many games where I thought Maryville was going to roll and get beat or barely win. Last years Brainerd game is a great example.

Football is a funny game. Halls lost to Central and got killed by Bearden 42-10. Halls beat Powell only 10-7. Halls then lights Maryville's defense up like a christmas tree.

You touched on it earlier. They forgot they could pass the ball because the running game has been getting results. Halls have been a work in progress and now with the playoffs looming they are a better team they were earlier in the year. We had two terrible games against Central & Bearden and have been fortunate to creep by Clinton & Powell being to predictable. The hope in Red Devil land we see more of the second half at West and Maryville gameplans. They look like a playoff contender if we see this. Enough of this jekyll and Hyde.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Class vs. Hubris...what a great debate! Actually no; it's not a good debate.

No one from Maryville said they were nervous about this game. And no one from Maryville predicted us to lose. It would be really silly for anyone to pick Maryville to lose at this point. We've not done that in a few years, and we are clearly the favorite in just about every game we play.

Nonetheless, the tactful, classy and pragmatic approach is to treat each game the same, both as competitors and as speculators. We all believe Maryville will win, but there's just no sense in coming out and saying that the other team has no business showing up...whether it's true or not. Just the same, it wouldn't make any sense for GQ to suspend practices this week, whether he believes that they need them or not.

And it's tough being on this side of the conversation too...one Maryville fan makes a bold prediction and the haters will be out in mere moments pointing out arrogance, etc.

Class vs. Hubris...what a great debate! Actually no; it's not a good debate.

No one from Maryville said they were nervous about this game. And no one from Maryville predicted us to lose. It would be really silly for anyone to pick Maryville to lose at this point. We've not done that in a few years, and we are clearly the favorite in just about every game we play.

Nonetheless, the tactful, classy and pragmatic approach is to treat each game the same, both as competitors and as speculators. We all believe Maryville will win, but there's just no sense in coming out and saying that the other team has no business showing up...whether it's true or not. Just the same, it wouldn't make any sense for GQ to suspend practices this week, whether he believes that they need them or not.

And it's tough being on this side of the conversation too...one Maryville fan makes a bold prediction and the haters will be out in mere moments pointing out arrogance, etc.

Basically, you have just defined "athletically correct" which is the sports version of politically correct. We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. We don't want to provide any bulletin board material. I understand that. I just don't subscribe to it. I've been a part of winners...I've been a part of losers. To me it's all fun. When I stink at something, I am aware of it and someone can tell me and it does not bother me. When I am good at something, I will tell you. We are all good at some things/bad at others. Why are we not allowed to point out the bad? Someone please enlighten me. I want to know so I can be more understanding to the "athletically correct."

Well, on this etcoach you've touched on a subject near and dear to my conservative heart. Perhaps the problem lies in our culture's nearly religious adherence to the principle of egalitarianism, which doesn't fit at all when it comes to sports, unless you don't keep score. Egalitarianism seeks to guarantee equality of outcomes, rather than equality of opportunity. Can't be no equality of outcome when you keep score. So too in life, where some folks succeed at different levels based on a variety of factors, including intelligence, drive, ambition, athletic ability, and on and on.

Well, on this etcoach you've touched on a subject near and dear to my conservative heart. Perhaps the problem lies in our culture's nearly religious adherence to the principle of egalitarianism, which doesn't fit at all when it comes to sports, unless you don't keep score. Egalitarianism seeks to guarantee equality of outcomes, rather than equality of opportunity. Can't be no equality of outcome when you keep score. So too in life, where some folks succeed at different levels based on a variety of factors, including intelligence, drive, ambition, athletic ability, and on and on.

Diver City, you just made my day. That is the best post I have ever seen on this site. Amen. Preach it Brother.

Well, first of all I believe what I predicted came true with the Halls game. I am glad Maryville played their most complete offensive performance of the year because Halls had a good offensize gameplan, made the necessary halftime adjustments at halftime, and made big plays. Will they play as well if the two teams meet again? I have no idea, but they did Friday night and gave Maryville all they wanted.

You are right, Maryville should win this game. I am hoping for a big first half lead and then let players get out and not get any more banged up (it's impossible to "get healthy" at this point of the season). Does that make you happy?

I still contend there are 3 teams on the east half of the state that are capable of beating Maryville in the playoffs, and then probably two to four more on the west half, as I'm not completely sure about the Memphis teams this year. I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying it's possible. Because of various reasons, Maryville is a little more down right now than previous years and doesn't have the room for error that you contend they do in every game.

I agree 100%

Maryville still has a great team capable of winning state. I just think the 2005 and 2006 teams were better. The margin of error was much greater in those years. I will say this. If Maryville has 6 turnovers against Rhea County like they did Brainerd last season they will more than likely get beat.

Basically, you have just defined "athletically correct" which is the sports version of politically correct.

I'm not sure I did that.

I think that athletically correct being equated to politically correct would be the youth leagues that don't keep score or the schools that have banned duck duck goose and tag. That's over the top, and in my opinion takes away one of the main purposes of competition.

I'm as fiercely competitive as they come, but at the end of the game (win or lose) you go and shake the other team's hand (unless you count the one time that I refused to do so after a certain volleyball game that I and our mutual friend lost a couple of years ago...he can tell you all about that). I believe in keeping score in games and in life. I think that sports prepare us for life both in wins and in losses. I believe that telling a kid that score doesn't matter is doing that kid a disservice, because in life it does. If I can't compete in the business world, I don't last in the business world. If a coach repeatedly fails, he doesn't remain the coach. If kids can't compete, they get a W hung on them. But they don't need us piling on...

It's just basic class to view your opponent as worth until you have proven otherwise and then to treat them with dignity and respect regardless of the outcome. That's something else that sports should teach us.

Diver that wuz a good xplnation, even if eye don't understand what hit meens.

Maybee hit has two do with me knot havin' my rebel flag to waive when Mairvul beets somebody and thay haiv to find sumthun else to complane about??????

Or maybee like eye've heered others say..."Because it's Mairvul."

I agree 100%

Maryville still has a great team capable of winning state. I just think the 2005 and 2006 teams were better. The margin of error was much greater in those years. I will say this. If Maryville has 6 turnovers against Rhea County like they did Brainerd last season they will more than likely get beat.

I agree. They could get away with a few more things the last couple of years and still win. They do have to execute a bit better down the stretch if they want to win it again.