Eurosports Rankings

global1

I guess what I'm reading is that it is a coaches poll and not all the coaches participate. Thanks

You are hitting on a very important point. We need to get ALL of our coaches involved in the voting process, as well as posting their schedules. This is not an exclusive club for only certain teams. I would recommend every coach join 2 very important organizations:

1. The National Soccer Coaches Association of America: this allows coaches to nominate and vote on All State players, as well as nominate for other awards. It also gives an additional $1,000,000 in liability insurance (which is something you can't get enough of)

2. Tennessee Soccer Coaches Association: this is a recently formed organization that organizes the TN soccer coaches to have a "voice" with the TSSAA, as well and keep informed with current changes, and like the NSCAA, allows nominations and voting for certain player and team awards.

The more your coaches get involved, the more they have a "say" in their teams across the state. I actually agree somewhat with global1, and I would like to see ALL coaches get their input. To do that, though, takes a little effort and time, the latter is something that is hard for coaches to find.

I would also be remiss if I didn't add that becoming a PLUS member here on Coach T allows these kinds of debates to exist. It is only $12 a year, which is a pretty good bang for your buck.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey. Let's look at some other measures, perhaps there are other teams that should feel "slighted" or maybe it's about performance over the season and not one game that should be considered....

W-L-T ....Who has the most W's this season?

. . . . . .

If you are going to use wins/losses you should include strength of schedule. Even so over the last several years the final 1 thru 8 rankings have historically been the 8 teams that made it to the state tournament. . . regardless of record and score of the games they played in the state. . .

If you are going to use wins/losses you should include strength of schedule. Even so over the last several years the final 1 thru 8 rankings have historically been the 8 teams that made it to the state tournament. . . regardless of record and score of the games they played in the state. . .

No argument. I was trying to open a pair of eyes to other "performers", not just Class AAA.

regardless of the performance in the state tournament the accomplishment of making the tournament deserves the recognition from the pollsters. if you finish last in the state tournament you are still in the top eight of the state and should be ranked accordingly. there is no rhyme or reason this discussion should be as long as it is unless there are someof you out there who cant handle the fact that the poll is wrong and are being defensive about it. that is why people are up in arms about the omission of the soddy girls. plain and simple. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

regardless of the performance in the state tournament the accomplishment of making the tournament deserves the recognition from the pollsters. if you finish last in the state tournament you are still in the top eight of the state and should be ranked accordingly. there is no rhyme or reason this discussion should be as long as it is unless there are someof you out there who cant handle the fact that the poll is wrong and are being defensive about it. that is why people are up in arms about the omission of the soddy girls. plain and simple. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I think we are just going to have to agree to dissagree on this one.

The state tournament and the Eurosport rankings are seperate, as they should be. Qualifying for the state tournament is no guarantee that a team is one of the best 8 teams in the state, and the polls merely reflect who the pollsters feel are the best teams in the state.

I understand why some of the SD folks are upset, but it's not reasonable to assume that a state tourn. appearance automatically makes you one of the best 8.

I'd be interested to see how you would rank the top 11 compared to Eurosport's rankings. Who would you place behind SD and why?

The state tournament and the Eurosport rankings are seperate, as they should be. Qualifying for the state tournament is no guarantee that a team is one of the best 8 teams in the state, and the polls merely reflect who the pollsters feel are the best teams in the state.

Big G I agree I wish more coaches were more involved with the poll that would give a more clearer picture to what coaches really think. But since not all coaches are involved Which coaches are? Are they voting all divisions or just their division? Is it only coaches? Are their more coaches voting from Middle Tn or East Tn or West TN ? At least when MJ from Tullahoma puts out his poll I know its one man's opinion and take for what it is one man's opinion.

Yes I'm a SD fan and do feel they got hosed in the poll, but I'm over it...There were other teams that I feel got over looked as well. Riverdale for one, you could make a stong case for them.

Big G I agree I wish more coaches were more involved with the poll that would give a more clearer picture to what coaches really think. But since not all coaches are involved Which coaches are? Are they voting all divisions or just their division? Is it only coaches? Are their more coaches voting from Middle Tn or East Tn or West TN ? At least when MJ from Tullahoma puts out his poll I know its one man's opinion and take for what it is one man's opinion.

Yes I'm a SD fan and do feel they got hosed in the poll, but I'm over it...There were other teams that I feel got over looked as well. Riverdale for one, you could make a stong case for them.

I am not sure who all of the coaches are. I get contacted by our A/AA rep (which is Coach Bowman from DCA for the boys). I would imagine, if the team is registered on Eurosport Scoreboard, and they have listed the coach with the e mail address, then they would be contacted. If they are not, but would like to be, have them e mail me, and I will do what I can to get them a "voice".

As far as who we vote for: I can only vote for A/AA in the boys season. Since I am unable to see all of the teams, I use the scoreboard to compare schedules, results, goals against and for, results against ranked opponents, number of ranked opponents in schedule, and shut outs. I am sure that there are a few who just put their top 10 favorite teams in, without much thought, but I put a LOT of time into my vote. I guess that is why I was rather perturbed.

Remember, this is why they started using a computer to generate some of the rankings in the BCS: to try and get less subjectivity and more objectivity. It still didn't work. People still dissagreed. It is the "curse" of the polls.

G, so you're telling me you keep spelling alcoa wrong in the spring in your vote. just playing, had to take a shot.

On a serious note, no voting system is perfect, would all the fans/parents/coaches/players rather have no rankings at all? I think it is neat to be part of team that is ranked (I was as a player, but never as a coach). But really it means little when you step onto the field and play. If more teams kept their info up to date it would be more accurate, but even then it would still have people mad, just ask MJUHB. I appreciate the system we have now. At least it gives us some idea of who is playing well.

Going back to the original post of the string, the question was: Who and How are the rankings determined? OK, I get it, seems it is a coaches poll???? Since no one specifically said who or answered how, I sent a few emails to the only contact I could find on EuroSportScoreBoard.com... after weeks... no response.

Maybe it was because I was asking for specifics and no one either wants to say or no one actually knows? lol it's a joke!

Or perhaps it was after commending the site for the thorough explanation of how match scores and schedules were obtained and posted that I suggested that NAIA utilized a great ranking system called the Longo Rating System /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />:)

The Longo system is interesting to me in that details are available as to exactly how the rankings are done and even who is involved in each region can be found on the NAIA website. If anyone is not familiar with Longo and is interested check it out.. it's pretty cool... use the link below and go to Appendix D:

http://naia.cstv.com/member-services/champ...er/wsmanual.htm

Not being critical of EuroSport at all but think it would be great to know more of the Who and How specifics of the rankings.

Speaking of rankings, the Adidas High School National Rankings have currently ranked BGA #9, Bearden High School #18, and Collierville High School #25.

The following was from my 11/16/07 post.

Look at NSCCA if you want to be more confused. Collierville (week of 11/6) was 6th in the Nation, loses by one goal and falls to 25th. BGA was not ranked and jumped to 10th. Go Figure. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />