Officiating

OldSchoolCharger

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who played high school ball 25 years ago, one thing I know for sure.....the game has changed into a much more physical style. I go to a lot of high school games and personally I don't like where the game is today. Today's constant full court pressure, run and gun style leads to a much more physical brand of basketball. If refs today call 40 fouls a game, then the refs in my day would call 60 in the same game. Its difficult for me to understand why constant reaching, grabbing, hand and body checking supposedly makes the game better. To me, basketball has turned into something resembling Monday Night Wrestling. Its no wonder that so many fouls are called...and I don't think the refs call half of what could be called. The refs today have a much more difficult job simply because of the constant pressure that teams apply these days. Zone defenses have gone the way of the two-handed set shot. Everybody presses full court and plays man to man the rare times a team actually sets up and runs an offense. My daughter is just beginning middle school ball and its the same way there. Coaches aren't teaching playing defense with your feet....it's a constant reaching and grab fest. Call me old fashioned, but I think the game is played ugly these days. Oh well, Ill retreat back and watch old UCLA game films now. Just one man's opinion.

I agree. John Chaney at Temple(ret.), and Jim Boeheim at Syracuse were and are examples of those throw-back coaches working the zone defense.

As someone who played high school ball 25 years ago, one thing I know for sure.....the game has changed into a much more physical style. I go to a lot of high school games and personally I don't like where the game is today. Today's constant full court pressure, run and gun style leads to a much more physical brand of basketball. If refs today call 40 fouls a game, then the refs in my day would call 60 in the same game. Its difficult for me to understand why constant reaching, grabbing, hand and body checking supposedly makes the game better. To me, basketball has turned into something resembling Monday Night Wrestling. Its no wonder that so many fouls are called...and I don't think the refs call half of what could be called. The refs today have a much more difficult job simply because of the constant pressure that teams apply these days. Zone defenses have gone the way of the two-handed set shot. Everybody presses full court and plays man to man the rare times a team actually sets up and runs an offense. My daughter is just beginning middle school ball and its the same way there. Coaches aren't teaching playing defense with your feet....it's a constant reaching and grab fest. Call me old fashioned, but I think the game is played ugly these days. Oh well, Ill retreat back and watch old UCLA game films now. Just one man's opinion.

Good Post !

Also, the players today are not working on fundamentals as much as was stressed 'back in the day'. Players today are busy playing around 100 games in the summer on the AAU circuit instead of working on ball handling drills, 8-10 ft jumpers (a lost art) and foot work drills like jump rope and lane slides.

The game has evolved into a different 'brand' of basketball be it better or worse than years before is left up to each individual.

As a ref for the last several years for TSSAA, here are a few thoughts for all of you to ponder and digest....

I have a regular job like most of you do....refereeing is serious business, but an enjoyable hobby....I have a family of four and make a modest living....From Nov. to March I am officiating 3 nights per week by choice.....hoping to improve with experience in every ballgame....I take a closed book test that I must pass in December every year to qualify for post season assignments....I have leaves in the yard to rake.......I attend a camp every other summer (3 days) that costs me $200 to attend to make me eligible for post season assignments...I have to attend the annual state meeting in our area every October and then at least five more association meetings to be eligible for post season assignments.....I have an understanding wife....I am obligated to accept all assignments because of the committment I made to be an official....I pay association dues and assignment fees to our group...In addition, I pay $55.00 dollars to register with the TSSAA every year.....I referee preseason scrimmages for free to get back in referee form before the season starts over the month of October and early November.....I start running and jogging on my own in late summer to get ready for the physical nature of officiating....We get paid $80.00 for a high school varsity double header, which is less than Volleyball officials make in a night...we try to be consistent with our calls on the floor....I have friends who get divorced because of time spent on this hobby of ours....My partners and I try to carpool to games because some locations are 60+ miles away....I study the rule book and case book on my own from week to week.....We have had a ref get physically assaulted after a contest by an angry parent in the last year....The only days during the season when no games are scheduled are Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, or New Years, and of course on Sunday's(Sunday is when we have our association meetings)....I work hard on the floor and try to improve to hopefully one day get that special assignment of a State Tournament (Boy's, Girl's, Division II) as some of my seasoned partners have....Three-man crews have helped extend the officiating careers of some of our older veteran officials who may not have physically been able to referee much longer....Fouls occur mostly away from the ball, that is why you need that third set of eyes on the floor..and it does make the game better....I try to help younger officials improve thier skills...Our association needs more and more men and women to join our ranks so we older officials can pass on our knowledge and experience...I love what I do...The extra money doesn't equal out to the time put in, but it is nice around Christmas......I take pride in wearing the stripes when I hit the floor...All officials may not all have the same committment to this hobby as I do, but we all sacrifice...

Just some thoughts to think about.

ernieg,

...and we'd all like to have more like you...I guess.

I disagree with 'most fouls occur away from the ball,' though.

Thanks for your commitment and good luck on your quest to State.

About the fouls away from the ball, I guess I need to elaborate...In competitive quality games when teams are running complicated offenses and defenses, officiating off-ball is more important than ever (screening, posting, positioning, etc.), calls a 2-man crew would have trouble making. Just notice how many calls are made away from the ball this year - should be more calls if officials are following mandates from TSSAA. I appreciate your support. We need more educated fans out there too. I guess.

Sorry, 'ref?,' but that whole paragraph sounds like a cop out to me! I'm shocked that you're admitting all of that...and as a supposed qualified and certified ref? Whoa! YOU guys are the ones that "even it out" and most knowledgeable basketball fans know it. You're the ALL POWERFUL in every game, sadly, and nobody can do anything about it. So, you 'teed' a guy up for saying "it's 9-2 on fouls?" Was it...9 to 2? If so, he was probably just stating a fact and you guys shouldn't have gotten all tore up and lost control over it. Unless the coach said, 'It's 9-2 on fouls, you idiot!", I don't think you should use a technical foul. There must be more to the story, but that's all you're telling us, so... And "they don't keep up with the game???" WHAT?! Even most INcompetent coaches usually keep up with the game. I'm sure there are exceptions, but...it's YOU guys that I worry about. The ones in the stripes. If you really felt our pain, you wouldn't do and say such things. Pretty unprofessional, if you ask me.

You're correct! And, I think you get it: THEY AREN'T CONSISTENT!!!

In the game I referenced from last week there were almost 50 fouls called! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> UNbelievable!!

I believe I was at this game - or one very similar to it. Cascade Middle's coach was Teed for saying "It's 10 fouls to 1". No screaming or name calling. Just "It's 10 fouls to 1". I was sitting right behind their bench.

I would rather see the refs just let the players play and call a foul every now and then rather than see 40-50 fouls called...

I know refs catch a lot of flak and I've been guilty of handing out my share. So I wanted to commend the refs of the Wilson Central/Hunters Lane ladies game last night. I thought they let the players play and called obvious infractions and kept the game under control. The calls I felt were balanced, no need for "make up" calls. Some may not agree but in my mind I thought they did a superb job. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />