Officiating

OldSchoolCharger

If you have 2 officials who hustle and want to do the job right, they are in position and their are no dead areas, it worked for a lot of years!! I know the comeback, the game is faster! I watch a lot of games and until recently, only district games around here were required three officials, all others were two. I swear that the two officials on the floor did a better job!! I know a number of retired officials and the vast majority of these folks agree with this opinion. The key observation is that with three, they get lazy.

I worked both and busted my butt every single time I put on the uniform. 3 Man crew coverage worked correctly is far superior to a 2 man crew. today's game would put a two man crew in so many situations of one official being forced to lock in on one or two players while the other official would be responsible for 8 to 9 players due to the three point shot. I do agree with you regarding hustle, over reffing, and refs not fully understanding the proper mechanics of the three man rotation.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.. I play basketball in high school, so my views on bad refs are of course stronger than some of yours.

But, explain to me why some games (not all) it does seem like fouls and walks etc are flying out of the ref's mouth for one team, but the other team are getting away with it? Such as this.. I was called for a hold while posting up. I am 6'3" and the other guy was 6'6" and had atleast 50-60 pounds on me. I had both hands at my face calling for ball when the foul was called. I didn't say anything, but a few plays laer, the bigger guy had one of my arms locked in his and an elbow in my throat while posting and a call was never made.

Another of my fouls. A guy drives in a little outta control and pulls an off balanced fade away from right to left in the lane. I stood both feet planted and arms straight up. No contact was made at all, but I got called for a push after the ball was shot. (air ball at that) But, on the other end, I turned with a post move and had someone's arm across both of mine forcing me to throw a shot up but nothing was called.

Or this.. A ball was passed to a teammate and he stepped with his right and dragged his left before dribbling. A walk was called. The VERY next playy on the other end, one of their players do this and isn't called for it and they score off that play. As soon as our coach said "If dragging your feet is a walk down there, it needs to be one here.." they called that walk on the kid the next play.

In this game, 1 of our players fouled out, 4 of them had 4 fouls, 4 had 3 fouls, and I am guessing at this number, but about 10 turnovers were called on walks.

They came out of it with 2-3 people with 3 fouls. 2 with 2 fouls, and someone fouling out.

Yeah. . I understand. Reffing games ain't easy. I know I wouldn't want to do it. But, sometimes it just seems like it is way lopsided like that. Granted that we commit some of the things they call us for, it just needs to be called on both sides of the ball.

Also.. I feel that they also need to call things the same for each position. If I hand check a post player, odds are it will never get called unless I outright push him. But, if you so much as to touch a point guard, it gets called. Anyone with me there?

Here we go again!! First game of the season and officiating is getting worse! Whats really bad is I am a fan of the team who won in a blow out. I just watched a game between McMinn Central and WIlliam Blount Girls and it was one of the worst officiated games I have seen. A total of about 45 fouls were called and believe it or not, ONE official called 37 of those fouls!!!! When the TSSAA went to 3 officials a game, I feel officiating went down hill. I have played, coached or watched for over 35 years and it is worse now that ever. Officials don't hustle to get into position like they used to, they don't talk to the players like they used to. Consistancy is non-existant, players will adjust IF the games are called consistantly. Old school refs would tell a player, "back off" or "hands" early in a game and set the tone for the game. Someway, somehow, some changes need to be made!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Well i wanted to add in the officiating down here in my area. IT IS HORRIBLE 40 fouls called in one game, that's just too much! I think they should just let the girls play it is way more physical in college ball than they are letting these high school athletes be.

well i'm sorry you have had a bad experience lately with officials. but all i can say is that it always evens itself out. already this year we have had to give tech for the coach saying its 9-2 on fouls or something to that sense. but they don't keep up with the entire game and realize that the fouls even themselves out, no we don't take the book and say ooo, we need to level this out, but just the game will even itself out for us. hope that helps, i understand how you feel cause i use to feel the same way in school.

Sorry, 'ref?,' but that whole paragraph sounds like a cop out to me! I'm shocked that you're admitting all of that...and as a supposed qualified and certified ref? Whoa! YOU guys are the ones that "even it out" and most knowledgeable basketball fans know it. You're the ALL POWERFUL in every game, sadly, and nobody can do anything about it. So, you 'teed' a guy up for saying "it's 9-2 on fouls?" Was it...9 to 2? If so, he was probably just stating a fact and you guys shouldn't have gotten all tore up and lost control over it. Unless the coach said, 'It's 9-2 on fouls, you idiot!", I don't think you should use a technical foul. There must be more to the story, but that's all you're telling us, so... And "they don't keep up with the game???" WHAT?! Even most INcompetent coaches usually keep up with the game. I'm sure there are exceptions, but...it's YOU guys that I worry about. The ones in the stripes. If you really felt our pain, you wouldn't do and say such things. Pretty unprofessional, if you ask me.

Yeah. . I understand. Reffing games ain't easy. I know I wouldn't want to do it. But, sometimes it just seems like it is way lopsided like that. Granted that we commit some of the things they call us for, it just needs to be called on both sides of the ball.

Also.. I feel that they also need to call things the same for each position. If I hand check a post player, odds are it will never get called unless I outright push him. But, if you so much as to touch a point guard, it gets called. Anyone with me there?

You're correct! And, I think you get it: THEY AREN'T CONSISTENT!!!

Well i wanted to add in the officiating down here in my area. IT IS HORRIBLE 40 fouls called in one game, that's just too much! I think they should just let the girls play it is way more physical in college ball than they are letting these high school athletes be.

In the game I referenced from last week there were almost 50 fouls called! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> UNbelievable!!

Silly question, but I'll bite: The answer to your question is, as many as are committed. You're using very extreme scenarios. Just call the game and, for God's sake, let the game be played! Talk about flow, heck, most games can't even get that goin' because y'all won't let it.

I thought you were reasonable. Hmm... And I'm not the least bit paranoid about y'alls calls. They'll be what they'll be and everybody in the gym will have an opinion about the quality of officiating at the end of each game. All of this is not gonna change a thing. Just good dialogue and discussion.

I'm sure you'll disagree, but the majority of basketball refs are egotistical and in way over their heads. The best I've seen is Mr. Tim King...in all sports. He's reasonable, consistent and friendly (he even talks to the players, rulebook be danged!). Old school, but appreciates today's athletes. A good human being that doesn't get caught up in the 'look at me, I'm in charge' thang. Not perfect, but very good, in my opinion.

Sorry, 'ref?,' but that whole paragraph sounds like a cop out to me! I'm shocked that you're admitting all of that...and as a supposed qualified and certified ref? Whoa! YOU guys are the ones that "even it out" and most knowledgeable basketball fans know it. You're the ALL POWERFUL in every game, sadly, and nobody can do anything about it. So, you 'teed' a guy up for saying "it's 9-2 on fouls?" Was it...9 to 2? If so, he was probably just stating a fact and you guys shouldn't have gotten all tore up and lost control over it. Unless the coach said, 'It's 9-2 on fouls, you idiot!", I don't think you should use a technical foul. There must be more to the story, but that's all you're telling us, so... And "they don't keep up with the game???" WHAT?! Even most INcompetent coaches usually keep up with the game. I'm sure there are exceptions, but...it's YOU guys that I worry about. The ones in the stripes. If you really felt our pain, you wouldn't do and say such things. Pretty unprofessional, if you ask me.

You're correct! And, I think you get it: THEY AREN'T CONSISTENT!!!

In the game I referenced from last week there were almost 50 fouls called! UNbelievable!!

wow that is UNBELEAVEABLE! Man that is just way too many fouls called! You cant reff if their is no more players left to play from foulin out!

Refs were aggravating tonight. They were pretty consistent most of the game, things being called on both teams pretty evenly. Then in the last few minutes one team is down, goes into an aggressive, rough press, and for the most part nothing is called. They were allowed to play as aggressive as they wanted late and made a comeback in part because of it, in the first 90 seconds of the game they had picked up three fouls playing the same way. All most people want is consistency through the entire game, no matter the score.

Refs were aggravating tonight. They were pretty consistent most of the game, things being called on both teams pretty evenly. Then in the last few minutes one team is down, goes into an aggressive, rough press, and for the most part nothing is called. They were allowed to play as aggressive as they wanted late and made a comeback in part because of it, in the first 90 seconds of the game they had picked up three fouls playing the same way. All most people want is consistency through the entire game, no matter the score.

That I think is the refs just wanting to go home. I notice the same thing in all the games I play. If anyone was at Bolivar last year when we played them, you would know this. The scoreboard stopped working on one end, and the refs didn't call anything at all the second half. I even grabbed a jkids jersey and pulled him to me on a fast break just to stop him from trying to dunk. All that happened was the ref warning me that he will call it next time. This is times I frown on refs.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Have you ever seen it listed on the scoreboard . Home Team Fouls (7) - Visiting Team fouls (1). Scoreboard reads; two min. left until half time.... Then the next time you look up at the board you see; 30 sec. left before half. Home team ( 7 ) fouls - Visiting team (7) fouls.. or visa-versa.. (I wander just how many times that happens in a yr)? now that is what you call; "getting it all squared up"... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

i actutally think ;last year as a whole the refs were better than they had been in a while i have only been to a few games so far this year while there was a call or 2 i didnt like through my red and gold glasses lol there is no way in a sport like basketball that you will be happy for the whole game it is worse than baseball on all the judgement calls and calls that can go either way...there is one ref that a few years ago i couldnt standit when he was out there and now he has gotten to be in my opinion one of the top 5 -10 refs out there so be paitent allow them to develop and see what happens also if you are a big basketball fan you need to sign up and become a ref i am not saying if you can do better do it i am saying if you like the game you will have fun doing it (i am not a ref)