Officiating

OldSchoolCharger

Here we go again!! First game of the season and officiating is getting worse! Whats really bad is I am a fan of the team who won in a blow out. I just watched a game between McMinn Central and WIlliam Blount Girls and it was one of the worst officiated games I have seen. A total of about 45 fouls were called and believe it or not, ONE official called 37 of those fouls!!!! When the TSSAA went to 3 officials a game, I feel officiating went down hill. I have played, coached or watched for over 35 years and it is worse now that ever. Officials don't hustle to get into position like they used to, they don't talk to the players like they used to. Consistancy is non-existant, players will adjust IF the games are called consistantly. Old school refs would tell a player, "back off" or "hands" early in a game and set the tone for the game. Someway, somehow, some changes need to be made!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go again!! First game of the season and officiating is getting worse! Whats really bad is I am a fan of the team who won in a blow out. I just watched a game between McMinn Central and WIlliam Blount Girls and it was one of the worst officiated games I have seen. A total of about 45 fouls were called and believe it or not, ONE official called 37 of those fouls!!!! When the TSSAA went to 3 officials a game, I feel officiating went down hill. I have played, coached or watched for over 35 years and it is worse now that ever. Officials don't hustle to get into position like they used to, they don't talk to the players like they used to. Consistancy is non-existant, players will adjust IF the games are called consistantly. Old school refs would tell a player, "back off" or "hands" early in a game and set the tone for the game. Someway, somehow, some changes need to be made!! /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE.....there was a couple of really bad calls and no calls that were obvious. I remember the ref calling a foul on a 3 point shot...it was a very clear foul about the time the ball got to the rim and he called it in the act of shooting...the worst call of the night and there was several of them!

Here we go again!! First game of the season and officiating is getting worse! Whats really bad is I am a fan of the team who won in a blow out. I just watched a game between McMinn Central and WIlliam Blount Girls and it was one of the worst officiated games I have seen. A total of about 45 fouls were called and believe it or not, ONE official called 37 of those fouls!!!! When the TSSAA went to 3 officials a game, I feel officiating went down hill. I have played, coached or watched for over 35 years and it is worse now that ever. Officials don't hustle to get into position like they used to, they don't talk to the players like they used to. Consistancy is non-existant, players will adjust IF the games are called consistantly. Old school refs would tell a player, "back off" or "hands" early in a game and set the tone for the game. Someway, somehow, some changes need to be made!!

WELCOME TO DISTRICT 5 !!!!!!!! It has been like this for the past few years. When these teams travel to the region, substate or state tour. the refs seem to be alot better. That game at McMinn Central last night was rediculous. The one official called nearly all the fouls and another seemed to try to balance them out. Just as I saw in the past two years, they seem to pick on Lambert and Jordan. They kept Jordan out of the game and held Lambert to one point into the middle of the 3rd qtr. But during the 3 minutes she got to play I think she ended up with 12. What the other teams must worry about is, look at the rest of the Chargeretts and how many points were spread across 8 to 10 girls. They will be asking themselves......... who do we guard?????

WELCOME TO DISTRICT 5 !!!!!!!! It has been like this for the past few years. When these teams travel to the region, substate or state tour. the refs seem to be alot better. That game at McMinn Central last night was rediculous. The one official called nearly all the fouls and another seemed to try to balance them out. Just as I saw in the past two years, they seem to pick on Lambert and Jordan. They kept Jordan out of the game and held Lambert to one point into the middle of the 3rd qtr. But during the 3 minutes she got to play I think she ended up with 12. What the other teams must worry about is, look at the rest of the Chargeretts and how many points were spread across 8 to 10 girls. They will be asking themselves......... who do we guard?????

First off Lambert needs to keep here hands to herself and as Coach M. says "guard them with your feet". Trys too much to steal the ball. They need her in the game to take care of the ball and run the offence. As for Jordan, she will always have a little foul problem. It is expected, she is a tazmainian devil out there. She just needs a little tuning in to the silly fouls. She rejects more points from the other team on defence for Central than Central can score. And I agree with your points spread across the team. The other coaches will be pulling their hair out knowing Lambert can score 30 or more and then when they are doubling her, each other girl is dropping in 10 to 20.

Refs for sale or trade......... any other district?

I read your post and I'm sure the refs may not have been what you would have liked. If they payed 300 dollars a game, I still would not consider being an official. The reason why is the fans. They may be the best people in the world away from the gym, but I have witnessed hollering and complaining on a unprecedented scale the last few years. Perhaps that is part of the reason there are not more good referee's. Its also part of the reason that one official seems to make more calls, that is the official that can take the fans ranting and raving. The other officials many times are more than happy to let their partners make the majority of the calls. Who wants to take all that verbal abuse, apparently the ones that do are less skilled than the refs of old. But I remember bad calls forty years ago, the difference then was nobody called for the officials head when he made a mistake like they do many times in today's sports. As to your statement that at substate or region the refs were better, I believe that if you took a state wide poll, you would see extreme dissatisfaction state wide at all levels of play. What is the solution, I don't have a clue. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I read your post and I'm sure the refs may not have been what you would have liked. If they payed 300 dollars a game, I still would not consider being an official. The reason why is the fans. They may be the best people in the world away from the gym, but I have witnessed hollering and complaining on a unprecedented scale the last few years. Perhaps that is part of the reason there are not more good referee's. Its also part of the reason that one official seems to make more calls, that is the official that can take the fans ranting and raving. The other officials many times are more than happy to let their partners make the majority of the calls. Who wants to take all that verbal abuse, apparently the ones that do are less skilled than the refs of old. But I remember bad calls forty years ago, the difference then was nobody called for the officials head when he made a mistake like they do many times in today's sports. As to your statement that at substate or region the refs were better, I believe that if you took a state wide poll, you would see extreme dissatisfaction state wide at all levels of play. What is the solution, I don't have a clue.

I guess my point is local refs tend to pick on local players once they get to know them and how well they play. A lot of cases around here, you see some of the "let the other team catch up" or "I fell sorry for that team that is not as good" calls. I feel that high school is the next step to collage ball and the calling needs to be at that level. There have been several girls I have followed their first and second year of collage ball and they were no where near ready or capable to play at that level of aggressiveness. I am not saying "LET THEM PLAY !" I just think they need to be more consistant and allow a slightly higher level of aggressiveness.

I guess my point is local refs tend to pick on local players once they get to know them and how well they play. A lot of cases around here, you see some of the "let the other team catch up" or "I fell sorry for that team that is not as good" calls. I feel that high school is the next step to collage ball and the calling needs to be at that level. There have been several girls I have followed their first and second year of collage ball and they were no where near ready or capable to play at that level of aggressiveness. I am not saying "LET THEM PLAY !" I just think they need to be more consistant and allow a slightly higher level of aggressiveness.

To become an official you take an open book test! All I ask for is KNOW the fundamentals!! A stutter step with the lead foot is not a walk, defensive position standing flat footed with the hands extended straight up is not a foul!! calling reach fouls from 30 ft away is guessing!! I actually saw one of the other officials roll his eyes when "Sir Whistle Alot" called his 30th foul. Again, be consistant first, know the rules and if you are a senior official, take the newbes aside and give them some leadership, it doesn't hurt to call them down a little and teach them.

I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE.....there was a couple of really bad calls and no calls that were obvious. I remember the ref calling a foul on a 3 point shot...it was a very clear foul about the time the ball got to the rim and he called it in the act of shooting...the worst call of the night and there was several of them!

I too remember the day when officials would tell you to back off. It seems they are very whistle happy, if I may say so. I like to see a consistant called game either way.

I read your post and I'm sure the refs may not have been what you would have liked. If they payed 300 dollars a game, I still would not consider being an official. The reason why is the fans. They may be the best people in the world away from the gym, but I have witnessed hollering and complaining on a unprecedented scale the last few years. Perhaps that is part of the reason there are not more good referee's. Its also part of the reason that one official seems to make more calls, that is the official that can take the fans ranting and raving. The other officials many times are more than happy to let their partners make the majority of the calls. Who wants to take all that verbal abuse, apparently the ones that do are less skilled than the refs of old. But I remember bad calls forty years ago, the difference then was nobody called for the officials head when he made a mistake like they do many times in today's sports. As to your statement that at substate or region the refs were better, I believe that if you took a state wide poll, you would see extreme dissatisfaction state wide at all levels of play. What is the solution, I don't have a clue. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

This is a good post. Hopefully since this is the start of the season, inconsistancies will take care of themselves. There are some rough spots. In a game with a district 8 team, nothing was called and it was hand to hand combat. In a game with District 9 team, a great deal of touch fouls were called along with a huge amount of walks. It appeared the first situation was a game the officials were getting their games worked out and the second game seemed the officials trying to get the teams to follow the rules better. An opinion is a few games played and things will even out but if not by then, things might need to be looked at.

It was impressive to this poster that at a recent tournament in the Mid State, a number of Officials were looking at and grading the officials at the tournament. This meat that they were taking the officials very seriously and making corrections. That was very healthy.

I could understand your point of view til you made the comment that officiating went down hill by going to three officials. There are just too many dead areas of coverage in two man officiating. I agree with talking the players thru situations but the T$$AA strongly discourages any verbal actions with the players other than the sound of the whistle.