Greeneville at Sullivan South

KEV-O

Can't really beat it but John Bruhin (SR.) and Daryle Smith (Lee's dad) both played in the NFL.

And I'm speaking only of Powell grads I'm not sure about other Knoxville schools although I believe Jake Ryan's (QB Knoxville West) dad played in the NFL I know he played at UT.

And I'm not bragging about losing to Maryville, ur right at the end of the day Powell is just another number in the 50+ game streak. All I'm saying is that Powell and Knoxville Central have played Maryville (the best team in the state consistenly) better then anyone else. If you drop Powell from 03 05 or 06 Central from 05 06 into the "Mountain Lakes Conference" they win it going away. That's not to mention this years Halls team who only lost to Maryville by 8 or the Knox west teams from the past two years who would be competitive in region 1. The only reason that upper east tennessee teams get deeper in the playoffs is because they don't have to play Maryville as soon. Don't mistake the fact that you get deep into the playoffs for playing good football.

I would certainly hope that DB could man handle Karns. That's a basketball school through and through.... there's no pride in beating up on Karns. Secondarily I wouldn't consider Bearden to be a Knoxville power they have up and down years. The winning record over farragut is something to hang your hat on though.

Bearden has a great football tradition if you look back to the same time frame as many of the D-B and OR posters. In fact, I can remember a time in the 70's and 80's when they were the premier program in Knoxville.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? I was legitimately interested in hearing about this match up plain and simple. I stated my opinion and I backed it up with facts. Knoxville is historically the better region, thus there is no need for a debate. You can't prove me wrong because region three is the dominant region and thats a fact that can't be disputed.

Now if you want to get in to the talk of phillips being over rated then by all means show me that I'm wrong. All i'm saying is that I saw the same game you did, and you guys wouldn't know what to do with a lot of the athletes that I have played with and against. If you think Phillips is the real deal you would have been in awe of Huber and Jackson-Garrison (both SEC players). Again, I'm sitting at a computer talking about high school football not playing in college. I respect the fact that Curt earned a D1 ride. I've said before that Big Ten schools don't just hand out scholarships loosely. But all the guys up there in ur so called "bumpkinville" have talked him up to be the best player to come out of the state in years and that's simply not true from what I saw the other night. Now, respect is earned not given. When you show me a competent view to refute mine then maybe JUST maybe I'll respect what you have to say. I think that you man have been drinking a little too much sweetwater, sir.

Now like I said I initially came on to the board to talk about the game this Friday night. Is everyone in agreement that this is gonna be a shootout or do you think that the defenses will show up? I felt like South's D was pretty good...it's hard to imagine that Greeneville is going to be able to hang a ton of points on that crew, but I don't know anything about the Devils. The spread that they run, is it a spread option style in the same style of Oregon and WVU or is it more of a spread to air it out? And also no one answered me about the South O. Is it a true read or is it a designed give or keep. I saw Curt ride and carry out a run fake but I never saw him pull it and run on those plays that looked like they might be "read option" plays. Anyone have an answer fo me on that?

Panther, I don't think anyone here is saying Region 3 has not been the dominate Region. I do think, and anyone can correct me if I am wrong, we are trying to say:

1. Outside of Maryville, which is in Blount County not Knoxville, Region 3, in my eyes, has not been particularly impressive. I am not going into specfics of every 4a school in Region 3. D-B has represented very, very well in 5a over the years. In fact I would argue that D-B, outside of not winning the gold ball was on of the most dominate teams in East Tennessee in any class throughout the 90's and 2000's.

2. Playing Maryville year in and year out no doubt raises the competition in Region 3. For example, back in the 90's when Science Hill was winning Basketball State Championships, every school in Region 1 had to raise their game, the result was most teams in Region 1 were extremely competitive when they ventured outside Region 1. Florida and Steve Spurrier raised the level of competition in the SEC. When the classes were split to form 4a and 5a, D-B would schedule teams like MBA and have Oak Ridge every year, these tough teams raised the level of competitiveness for the Indians and showed them what it takes to compete on a state level.

3. The recruiting services that I have read tell me that you are wrong about Curt, some services list him as the TOP Qb in the state. I would take their opinion over any of our's any day and at the end of the day our opinions don't really matter.

4. Curt has deceptive speed, almost like Matt Jones that played QB at Arkansas a few years back, he looked like he was running slow, but no one could catch him.

5. Most everyone took offense to your critique of Curt, you could have worded it better, however it came out like "All I have heard is Curt this and Curt that, I saw him and he ain't all that." Were not saying you didn't play against awesome athletes in Region 3, just don't down ours, because according to Wisconsin and the recruiting services, he is that good. Will that translate into a great college career? Only time will tell. I have seen a lot of 5 star recruits turn out to be very sub par.

6. I don't know about the game becoming a shoot out. Both teams moved the ball well the last time the 2 met. South's D played better last week than they played in the previous two outtings. They are young and have gotten better as the season went along, however like computsatman alluded to before, we have yet to see the kind of intensity that was there for the Science Hill game. As far as South's O, someone else would have to answer that question for you, I don't know if it is a true read or not. I think it always favors the losing team when a rematch takes place, if the first game was close. (LSU vs UT 2001, UT wins then looses the rematch in the SEC Championship game.) Plus the game is at Death Valley. I think this game will be close with South's D holding the Devils and then the South O taking it down the field to score a late TD to ice the game. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Drawing attention away from this match-up is exactly why you came on here. If you had any respect you would have kept your mouth shut about all your region 3 smack. But no, you had to come on here and say Curt ain't all that...now let's talk about the game...BS! Your in a hornets nest Powell Pal. We don't go to region 3 boards and start stink and call people out...but you know what...we don't need to. We'll do it on the field. They call it the Volunteer State. You have any idea why? You have any idea where that notion originated? That's right...NET! Where you from boy. I did say boy. Because if you were a man you would have thought twice before you came in here like to charge cover fee or something...like in the region 3 opinion Curt is a mediocre' QB! Get out! Go to a Red Bank board and talk some smack. Go to Hillsboro...they think they got this wrapped up anyway. And your dating a Souther Belle? Girl needs to teach you some southern manners. First off when you come up in here you bring a gift. Then you talk some politics and state your ground. Then we have a drink of sweetwater and smoke the big cigar. Then we put you before the committee. That would be Cap1, VolmanScott, Maroonandgrey, TopVol98, Bud, Barb, and a few subordinates. Then if your colors don't wash out...THEN we will listen to what you have to say. Show respect my man.

Comp this boy's done wandered to far from home. I think his Momma is looking for him on the Knoxville threads. He better hurry over there before he gets another ear full. Whhewee!!! It ain't pretty when Comp brings the hammer. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This is true. Someone said we can bring up the past,but it doesn't matter.Well, no one is bringing up the past because until this year Greeneville didn't matter. TN High and South are 2 teams you can count on EVERY year to be good. And it is going to stay that way. TN High doesn't have to talk trash,they can let their record speak for themselves,as can South. Greeneville people apparently feel like they need to talk trash,since they haven't shut up about Greeneville all year,and well, I guess no one has given them a reason to,until this Friday. And don't judge me,I am neither a South nor TN High fan,I am a Central fan, and being in their conference you have to respect what they do every year,and that is what we are striving for.

Also, I am expecting a coming out party for Souths Defense this Friday. Not to mention too many big plays for Souths offense. They may stop Phillips and Fletcher for a while, but ya can't stop them,you can only hope to contain them.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

South-35

G'Ville-14

TN high not talk trash? What planet have you been living on? Shoot ask almost any of your conference foes how much trash Viking fans have been spewing all season...maybe you should just research a few threads before you go there. We Devil fans tend to be an excitable bunch and well.... its been a couple of years since we have had something to be excited about. So if we crow a little too loud, and react a bit too strongly to outside criticism(seriously, you are a Central fan and have never had a dog in this hunt) just know it comes from pride in our boys and their accomplishments. Win or lose, we know these young men have left it all out there this season and have the heart of our offense returning next year for another run at it...something our friends at South can't say.

East Tennessee has some good football this Friday...

Panther, I don't think anyone here is saying Region 3 has not been the dominate Region. I do think, and anyone can correct me if I am wrong, we are trying to say:

1. Outside of Maryville, which is in Blount County not Knoxville, Region 3, in my eyes, has not been particularly impressive. I am not going into specfics of every 4a school in Region 3. D-B has represented very, very well in 5a over the years. In fact I would argue that D-B, outside of not winning the gold ball was on of the most dominate teams in East Tennessee in any class throughout the 90's and 2000's.

2. Playing Maryville year in and year out no doubt raises the competition in Region 3. For example, back in the 90's when Science Hill was winning Basketball State Championships, every school in Region 1 had to raise their game, the result was most teams in Region 1 were extremely competitive when they ventured outside Region 1. Florida and Steve Spurrier raised the level of competition in the SEC. When the classes were split to form 4a and 5a, D-B would schedule teams like MBA and have Oak Ridge every year, these tough teams raised the level of competitiveness for the Indians and showed them what it takes to compete on a state level.

3. The recruiting services that I have read tell me that you are wrong about Curt, some services list him as the TOP Qb in the state. I would take their opinion over any of our's any day and at the end of the day our opinions don't really matter.

4. Curt has deceptive speed, almost like Matt Jones that played QB at Arkansas a few years back, he looked like he was running slow, but no one could catch him.

5. Most everyone took offense to your critique of Curt, you could have worded it better, however it came out like "All I have heard is Curt this and Curt that, I saw him and he ain't all that." Were not saying you didn't play against awesome athletes in Region 3, just don't down ours, because according to Wisconsin and the recruiting services, he is that good. Will that translate into a great college career? Only time will tell. I have seen a lot of 5 star recruits turn out to be very sub par.

6. I don't know about the game becoming a shoot out. Both teams moved the ball well the last time the 2 met. South's D played better last week than they played in the previous two outtings. They are young and have gotten better as the season went along, however like computsatman alluded to before, we have yet to see the kind of intensity that was there for the Science Hill game. As far as South's O, someone else would have to answer that question for you, I don't know if it is a true read or not. I think it always favors the losing team when a rematch takes place, if the first game was close. (LSU vs UT 2001, UT wins then looses the rematch in the SEC Championship game.) Plus the game is at Death Valley. I think this game will be close with South's D holding the Devils and then the South O taking it down the field to score a late TD to ice the game. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

This is a much more mature spread than you all faced in the first game... will be interesting to see how Greenway executes if blitzed... he was much improved in the East game and, after a shaky start, against Volunteer.

From a Hampton fan , Go South. I believe you will take this one. Also good luck to Phillips at the next level. We'll try our best to hold up our end of the bargain. They just seem to get tougher all the time.

Thanks and good luck to them Bulldoggies up there in Hampton. Not that you'll need it, but just in case. Great place to visit, you can watch good football, catch a few trout, watch the stars fall on the mountains, and maybe shoot off some fireworks to celebrate a Bulldog Victory. Beautiful Place. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

TN high not talk trash? What planet have you been living on? Shoot ask almost any of your conference foes how much trash Viking fans have been spewing all season...maybe you should just research a few threads before you go there. We Devil fans tend to be an excitable bunch and well.... its been a couple of years since we have had something to be excited about. So if we crow a little too loud, and react a bit too strongly to outside criticism(seriously, you are a Central fan and have never had a dog in this hunt) just know it comes from pride in our boys and their accomplishments. Win or lose, we know these young men have left it all out there this season and have the heart of our offense returning next year for another run at it...something our friends at South can't say.

East Tennessee has some good football this Friday...

I did not say they didn't talk trash. I said they have the right to. Year in and year out they either win the mountain lakes or get second. Also, the reason I said that was a response to one of your Greeneville fans saying they have no right to say something because they are done and they didn't care about them making it past the first round 7 years in a row,and I am sure,based on what you just said about Greeneville fans,is that if Greeneville made it past the first round of the playoffs 7 straight years we would hear about it ALL the time.

And my mistake,what was I thinking,I guess I didn't get the memo that you're not allowed to post on any other page if it doesn't concern your school. Respecting what another school has done the last few years in football is just absolutely RIDICULOUS. So my apologies.