Gville vs South Pittsburg

OLD PIRATE

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 - zip? I don't see that happening. Tigers don't fold when they're down...they scrap to the very end. If SP wins (and I acknowledge that as a very real possibility) I doubt it will be anywhere near that margin.

Here's looking for a good game. I haven't seen SP since I sat through that C-cc-cc-old game last year. What's the weather looking like for Friday?

We may very well win but I do not expect a shutout either...it would be nice but just won't happen

It's supposed to be cooler on Friday and partly cloudy. The high is supposed to be about 53 during the day so it should be in the mid 40's by game time heading towards the 30s. Forcast is saying it will be breezy so dress warm

good post 1994 pirate, just for clarification, Gordonsville and SP played each other 3 straight years from 2001-2003. Sp went 2-1 in that span. Gordonsville was the better team in 2001 and everyone new that, but I believe we looked ahead to Cloudland the next week for a shot to play for a state title. We got beat 20-6. The next year, the teams were pretty much even IMO. It was a dogfight until the end. with us, Gordonsville winning in the end. And well in 2003, SP just flatout embarrassed us, and was the much better team, no doubt about that. This will be the 9th time these 2 teams have hooked up in the playoffs, I don't think no 2 other teams have played each other more times in 1A, but I could be wrong...

What is interesting is that before the playoffs we were 2-2 playing TC, 1-1 playing FC and we are still 4-4 playing G'ville. That shows how even it has been over the years. I don't know about all of 1A but no other team has played SP as many times in the playoffs. Pretty cool stuff

We may very well win but I do not expect a shutout either...it would be nice but just won't happen

It's supposed to be cooler on Friday and partly cloudy. The high is supposed to be about 53 during the day so it should be in the mid 40's by game time heading towards the 30s. Forcast is saying it will be breezy so dress warm

Thanks ZonePirate! I'll be sure to dress warm...and I guess (sad to say) the wife and I will come up in the car instead of on the bike. Brrrrrr....

Win or lose, I think it's going to be a great night for HS football. Just my opinion, but I think the winner of this game will go on to win the state.

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

Bishop and Croz, thanks for the encouragement. Like I stated in my last post, I have seen SP vs Gordonsville just about every time we have played. I respect your program and tradition. I kind of expect the kind of game that we had against TC in the first round. TC is a well coached team and I knew that would not be an easy game. FCA scared me a bit, but I think the 99 yard run on the first offensive play just took some air out of them. I hate to say a team quit, but I really feel like some of their players did (except for the quarterback, he was tough). We did against you last year. Our kids had better come to play Friday, or they might get smacked in the mouth so to speak. Just out of curiosity, can one of you give me a breakdown of the TC-Gordonsville game? That must have been a slobber knocker of a game! Maybe I can meet up with some of the Gordonsville faithful before the game, but it will depend on whether my wife and son come with me.

Zone, the only other team I can think of that we have played several times in the playoffs is Greenback. When I played at SP, we played them three years in a row (all losses) and then my senior year they were in our region. We finally beat them that year, but I think we have played them 4 times, maybe 5. They used to be real good, but have really not made much noise the last few years.

hey guys, I haven't been on in about a day, and the thread has gone about 5 pages. We are burning up the CoachT servers. But anyways, all I can say is regardless, these 2 teams made it to this round in the playoffs because they have done things right. I think it will be a very good game. I have watched about 95% of SP's games including playoffs and state games for about 20 years now, 4 years of which I played. And I will watch them to my grave. I am sure there are those same fans in Gordonsville. The players and coaches really appreciate the support. How long has Gordonsville High School been around?

What is interesting is that before the playoffs we were 2-2 playing TC, 1-1 playing FC and we are still 4-4 playing G'ville. That shows how even it has been over the years. I don't know about all of 1A but no other team has played SP as many times in the playoffs. Pretty cool stuff

Zone, SP is 4-4 in the play-offs and 1-1 in the regular season against GV.

i know SP had some players out last week (Fitzgerald and Terrell Robinson) ive heard theyre supposed to be back this week or next. Is Gville healthy. just curious. Go Pirates

Everybody is banged up in G'ville. QB broke his throwing hand and both legs he runs on. 1st - 3rd string running backs are doubled over with food poisoning (our cafeterias are the pitts). All receivers are suffering from pulled hamstrings. Our linemen (offense and defense) are suffering from trench foot and jock itch, and the DB's are all hungover after a late night party. Looks like we'll have to play our 7th-8th grade team.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Might as well take the week off and not practice to get ready for us.

/wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Couldn't resist. Fact is - we did have a bunch this last week who had a bad cold. Penicillin had most everybody ready to go by gametime last Friday. Junior center dressed, but the sophomore started. I think most everybody is in pretty good shape. I know my kid is anyway.

Hope the kids from both teams are healthy and ready to give their all this Friday. Good luck to all, but Go Tigers! If you play with heart & grit, all things are possible.