MBA vs. BA for STATE

vols98

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post...one humble spelling correction though, with all due respect to Red77, and out of respect to the late Dr. E. E. Litkenhous. I grew up following those rankings...I think his formula was similar to Jeff Sagarin's formula. The Litkenhous formula is stilled used in Kentucky to rank high school football teams and is published regularly in the Courier-Journal.

Sorry. I was very familiar with the poll in its time. "Lithenhouse" was a typo. Mrs. Bowen would not be proud.

I don't think Potter will lose twice in one season to the "little Big Red team". The offense MBA sees will have been adjusted. When did the adjective little include a 275 lb lineman and 250+lb linebackers? Looks like MBA found BA's recruiting list. Assuming your tongue was planted solidly in your cheek. I'm sure all are scholars and will graduate from UT Phi Beta Kappa!

Like to rephrase: "I think Potter will lose twice in one season to the "little Big Red team". The offense MBA sees might not have been adjusted. When did the adjective little include a 275 lb lineman and 250+lb linebackers? Looks like MBA found BA's recruiting list. Assuming your tongue was planted solidly in your cheek. I'm sure all are scholars and will graduate from UT Phi Beta Kappa!"

I'll stick with the recruiting comment.

Like to rephrase: "I think Potter will lose twice in one season to the "little Big Red team". The offense MBA sees might not have been adjusted. When did the adjective little include a 275 lb lineman and 250+lb linebackers? Looks like MBA found BA's recruiting list. Assuming your tongue was planted solidly in your cheek. I'm sure all are scholars and will graduate from UT Phi Beta Kappa!"I'll stick with the recruiting comment.

Are you serious? I just wanted to point out that the "recruits" you are mentioning have attended MBA since the 7th grade. In order to get into MBA you must prove that you are academically fit i.e. pass the ISEE test and then afterwards go into further consideration among a plethora of other applicants. Being accepted in and of itself is an honor. How they develop as gentleman, scholars, and athletes comes after their acceptance into MBA. If you're a BA supporter and are criticizing MBA for recruitment, please please please don't make a fool of yourself. I believe it was BA that was taken to court on recruitment violations and was placed on a lengthy 13 year probation period. The MBA football team as Coach McGugin most eloquently put is filled with student-athletes. Several were national merit FINALISTS, others were inducted into Totomoi, one of the most prestigious societies at MBA. Being successful athletically doesn't necessarily indicate recruitment you fool. Besides, I find it quite difficult to recruit players coming into the 7th grade, I'm pretty sure "growth" has to actually occur before any accusations can be made. This accusation is heinous, as is everything you speak.

Are you serious? I just wanted to point out that the "recruits" you are mentioning have attended MBA since the 7th grade. In order to get into MBA you must prove that you are academically fit i.e. pass the ISEE test and then afterwards go into further consideration among a plethora of other applicants. Being accepted in and of itself is an honor. How they develop as gentleman, scholars, and athletes comes after their acceptance into MBA. If you're a BA supporter and are criticizing MBA for recruitment, please please please don't make a fool of yourself. I believe it was BA that was taken to court on recruitment violations and was placed on a lengthy 13 year probation period. The MBA football team as Coach McGugin most eloquently put is filled with student-athletes. Several were national merit FINALISTS, others were inducted into Totomoi, one of the most prestigious societies at MBA. Being successful athletically doesn't necessarily indicate recruitment you fool. Besides, I find it quite difficult to recruit players coming into the 7th grade, I'm pretty sure "growth" has to actually occur before any accusations can be made. This accusation is heinous, as is everything you speak.

I think I remember reading in the Tennessean after the Supreme Court rendered its decision on the BA/TSSAA case that the TSSAA had prohibited Brentwood Academy from participating in post season play. Does anybody remember anything about this? (Hadouken, please do not respond.)

Like to rephrase: "I think Potter will lose twice in one season to the "little Big Red team". The offense MBA sees might not have been adjusted. When did the adjective little include a 275 lb lineman and 250+lb linebackers? Looks like MBA found BA's recruiting list. Assuming your tongue was planted solidly in your cheek. I'm sure all are scholars and will graduate from UT Phi Beta Kappa!"

I'll stick with the recruiting comment.

As of now, only 2 seniors plan on playing fball in college. Ben Bartholomew has a long family tradition to UT and MBA so don't act like we "recruit" these guys. Let me put that in perspective. This is a championship team with 30+ seniors. BA is sometimes assumed to be recruiting because it seems to find many big time athletes accepted in 9th grade or later. Even though I don't know anything for sure, I don't think BA's attracting athletes by having a good reputation as a football powerhouse is "recruiting" or unfair. At the time of this Junior and Senior class's 7th grade year MBA was going through a 2 year period of high quality, big name fball. 02 and 03 championships to prove it. Maybe some of MBA's talent this year can be a byproduct of that admission years success. However, your last statement is where u lose all credibility. Assuming every MBA fball player is dumb, going to UT, and rich, preppy fraternity boys is really wishful thinking. I could go on and on about this. Just one example: Christian Waddey, one of MBA's two running backs with 100+ yards against BA last weekend, is giving up fball, going to UVA, and majoring in physics.

I am pretty sure that you are not responding to a BA supporter.

You believe wrong. BA took the TSSAA to court. 13 years of probation? At the risk of you continuing your name calling routine, what 13 years was BA on probation?

So much vitriol since the title game! A few thoughts I have:

BA: As an MBA fan, I know rather well that the success MBA football has had, and particularly in DII, is a byproduct of the success BA has had on the football field. BA has long been one of the measuring sticks (if not the measuring stick) of Tennessee HS football, and has pretty much maintained that aura despite only one title in the past 11 years, and yet MBA's title game victories have been validated in large part by beating a program like BA. Of course, beating Bolles (FL) and Trinity (KY) and decimating Tennessee's DI (23-1 since '97) has certainly helped, but the shadow of BA has certainly made MBA better. It all started with the '95 playoff rout and the '96 OT close call - it showed that MBA had to step it up a notch. Add in some nice exchanges with some BA fans in private messages, and you won't find me dogging our rivals (but it's still nice to beat 'em). Hopefully some of you younger pups (i.e., under legal drinking age) will follow suit.

MBA/Academics/Recruiting: I used to feel compelled to spew data to prove a point, but it's no longer worth it - people will believe what they want. With that said, for all the non-believers, grab an MBA program from this year and see how many of this year's seniors started at MBA in seventh grade. Grab a 2003 program and cross reference the players from MBA's state title football teams with the National Merit list for the whole school. Over 20% of MBA's football players were NM Semifinalists/Commended students; show me a school in the state that had that percentage for its entire school. Also cross reference MBA's Valedictorian (went to UVA thereafter) from that year with the starting defensive lineup and you'll find a match. And finally, while I can't link my original post since CoachT had to purge a lot of posts from prior years, if you really want to be stunned, find the starting lineups from that same 2003 year, find an MBA grad who can tell you the names of the parents of those players, and then MapQuest where those players lived in relation to MBA. I'll save you the trouble - the average distance was about 5 to 6 miles. My guess is some of our public school brethren travel farther to their public schools.

Brotherhood: For some of you newbies, read some DI threads. Yes, we have our heated rivalries with one another in DII, but some of those guys really hate DII teams, and even more sadly, despite the fact that the former Super 7 won about 80% of their games against DI during the first 10 years of DII (including four instances when the Super 7 runner-up or also-ran handed an eventual DI state champ its only loss), they still discredit the strength of DII football (the short playoff road is a tried-and-true card they try to pull - all while 2-8 and 3-7 DI teams make the playoffs). Yes, we can still be rivals and talk smack to one another, but we need a little solidarity, too. We have a great Division - with compelling W-L records in our favor - that needs to be an example of overall pride and stength.

Off my soapbox...