Franklin @ Independence...(rematch)

BigDogDaddy

Woah nelly, this should be a good one. This is without doubt the best two teams in the 5-6 series, and are two teams that definitely deserve to be here. Both have been playing amazing football as of late. Can't wait for this one.

I know Franklin demolished Indy eraly in the year, but I think the Eagles have a slight edge in this game. They've won games this year with their 2-dimensional offense that has kept teams guessing. But their defense will be key here. They've shut down alot of good rushing attacks as of late, and Franklin's been inconsistent throwing the ball this year. If they can shut down Steele, Lee, and Dykes, I see them moving on easily.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad that you'd try to take away from the accomplishments of Alex Heckman. Very, very sad. Without him, I don't believe this team gets to the state quarterfinals. Sure, Smith is the better passer, but Heckman has a more complete game and he makes the plays he needs to make.

I agree. Heckman brings in a more mobile-attack that opens up the playbook alot more. Heckman's ability to move around in the pocket buys the receivers more time to get open, and open up plays that might not have been available if he stays in the pocket. QB's like Heckman keeps the defense guessing.

Woah nelly, this should be a good one. This is without doubt the best two teams in the 5-6 series, and are two teams that definitely deserve to be here. Both have been playing amazing football as of late. Can't wait for this one.

I know Franklin demolished Indy eraly in the year, but I think the Eagles have a slight edge in this game. They've won games this year with their 2-dimensional offense that has kept teams guessing. But their defense will be key here. They've shut down alot of good rushing attacks as of late, and Franklin's been inconsistent throwing the ball this year. If they can shut down Steele, Lee, and Dykes, I see them moving on easily.

Channeling Keith Jackson?

The comments about Heckman's passing abilities are valid in my opinion, but let's keep in mind that he is only a sophomore. I do believe he's going to have to make some changes to his throwing mechanics if he has any hopes of becoming a high level quarterback. High level quarterbacks beat you with their arm, not their legs. He obviously has a few more years to develop.

Here's a clip of Heckman throwing a swing pass...

This might not be the best clip to analyze, but it does make me wonder... does he have small hands? The reason I ask is because of how he breaks his hands. Here's a closer look...

Obviously there is more to being a successful high school quarterback than having quality throwing mechanics. Smith might have a leg up in that category, but Heckman has clearly been the more productive quarterback. He's done a better job managing games, and hasn't made the mistakes that Smith made. In fairness to Smith though, Heckman has faced a little easier competition.

This game should be a good one. Too close to call for me. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

The comments about Heckman's passing abilities are valid in my opinion, but let's keep in mind that he is only a sophomore. I do believe he's going to have to make some changes to his throwing mechanics if he has any hopes of becoming a high level quarterback. High level quarterbacks beat you with their arm, not their legs. He obviously has a few more years to develop.

Here's a clip of Heckman throwing a swing pass...

This might not be the best clip to analyze, but it does make me wonder... does he have small hands? The reason I ask is because of how he breaks his hands. Here's a closer look...

There is more to being a successful high school quarterback than having quality throwing mechanics. Smith might have a leg up in that category, but Heckman has clearly been the more productive quarterback. He's done a better job managing games, and hasn't made the mistakes that Smith made. In fairness to Smith though, Heckman has faced a little easier competition.

This game should be a good one. Too close to call for me. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Small hands? What is this, the Alex Smith excuse. I don't think his hands should stand in his way of becoming a good high school QB.

Small hands? What is this, the Alex Smith excuse. I don't think his hands should stand in his way of becoming a good high school QB.

hvillefootball,

Do you have any idea why I asked if Heckman has small hands? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you actually read and understood what I wrote by giving you a chance to explain to me why I asked that question.

Who is "Alex Smith"?

hvillefootball,

Do you have any idea why I asked if Heckman has small hands? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you actually read and understood what I wrote by giving you a chance to explain to me why I asked that question.

Who is "Alex Smith"?

I guess I don't judging by how angry it made you, please explain it to me.

By the way, Alex Smith is the current QB for the 49ers, one of the knocks on him coming out of college was that his hands were too small to grip the ball. I assumed that was what you were saying about this kid.

Sorry

hvillefootball,

Who is "Alex Smith"?

Alex Smith would be the starting quarterback for the San Fransisco 49ers, former #1 overall pick in the draft out of Utah.

hvillfootball,

I'm not angry. I apologize if I came across that way. I'm also not suggesting that Heckman can't become a top notch high school quarterback. I just think he has the potential to become more than that. I also don't think he will get there with his current throwing mechanics. One thing I don't like about his mechanics is how he breaks his hands. It's subtle but watch the second clip I posted and notice how he lifts the ball with both hands. This is a common trait in quarterbacks who have small hands. I don't know if he has small hands. That's why I asked.

hvillfootball,

Geez! You give up too easy. I'm not angry, and I'm not suggesting that Heckman can't become a top notch high school quarterback. I just think he has the potential to become more than that. I also don't think he will get there with his current throwing mechanics. One thing I don't like about his mechanics is how he breaks his hands. It's subtle but watch the second clip I posted and notice how he lifts the ball with both hands. This is a common trait in quarterbacks who have small hands. I don't know if he has small hands. That's why I asked.

All right, I'm glad you're not ticked. I certainly didn't feel like getting into another argument on here. Now I honestly don't believe that this will hurt him in high school, but I can see your argument if he tries to play in college.

All right, I'm glad you're not ticked. I certainly didn't feel like getting into another argument on here. Now I honestly don't believe that this will hurt him in high school, but I can see your argument if he tries to play in college.

Life is way too short to get ticked at people I don't know on a message board. Of course that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Speaking of Alex Smith...