Independence @ Millington

donathan5507

One thing that is a plus is IHS never seems to have to chase kids down..... The D always seems to have that one extra guy to make the tackle... One thing about our D is they seem to bend but not break(if thats the best way to put it). The Team really works like a TEAM because of the seniors who spent 4 years of starting together, building this team to what it is. Now im not even going to pretend we have gone up against two rb's with 4.4 speed but like D said above.. these guys gameplan and seem to be in the right spot a lot.

I love the game of football and cant wait to see these millington guys.... Great future for them I hope!

Oh and is there a link to pure game by game stats like thetennessean offers??? Just a question... Thanks

The local paper here in the Memphis area is : commercialappeal.com

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that is a plus is IHS never seems to have to chase kids down..... The D always seems to have that one extra guy to make the tackle... One thing about our D is they seem to bend but not break(if thats the best way to put it). The Team really works like a TEAM because of the seniors who spent 4 years of starting together, building this team to what it is. Now im not even going to pretend we have gone up against two rb's with 4.4 speed but like D said above.. these guys gameplan and seem to be in the right spot a lot.

I love the game of football and cant wait to see these millington guys.... Great future for them I hope!

Oh and is there a link to pure game by game stats like thetennessean offers??? Just a question... Thanks

My observation on Friday was that if we were able to contain the Trojan running backs to the inside and get ahold of them around the line of scrimmage, we were able to compete. Our problem was that everytime they got outside and turned it up field, they were simply outrunnings anyone we had. Our secondary wasn't able to get the correct angles, nor had the speed to catch up.

Hopefully, during the upcoming week, you'll be able to hear from some of the Whitehaven fans and they can give some additional information. They had more success slowing down Millington's offense.

I'll also add....don't sell out trying to the run and end up neglecting their passing game. Although they don't bring that out very often, it is effective when they choose to use it.

Will the QB run some option and keep it or does he mostly just hand it off left right and up the middle

Millington will line up more times than not in a Wing-T formation. Freyerson (The QB) has the ability to run the ball, but typically does not. On the biggest play on the Year vs Whitehaven, He ran the option out of the Wing T formation, pitching the ball at the last conceivable second to Travis Simpson who in turn raced 60 plus yards for the game winning touchdown.

Freyerson has a nice arm as well. He is not called upon to throw it very often, but when he does, he generally puts the ball right on the money. He has thrown in the neighborhood of 10 touchdown passes this year. Many of which have been caught by our featured receiver(6'3" 195 pd 38inch Vertical) Mario Justice. Justice will also return Punts for us as well. In fact Freyerson has thrown a TD pass in each of the last two games. Neither of which went to Justice however.

Ive only seen the option pass once. But i wouldnt count it out. That was the first time we were down all season when that play was called. Fryerson will throw to anyone on the field, whether it is a receiver, back, TE. anyone who is open. Nate Sorensen caught a pass last week vs Whitehaven i think. You cant just guard the "main" guys. If you cant control the run (like WhiteStaion), it could be nasty. Again, WS did have some 300 yards, but our D stepped up when it counted. Yards dont win games, scoring does.

Ill see if i can find stats for the last yew games. usually Mark H has all the stats, but he hasnt been on yet. i guess the other thread scared everyone away.

Against White Station:

Simpson and Knowlton combined for 351 yards rushing.

Eddie Robinson and Tyshaun Holmes also ran the ball.

470 total rushing yards.

Fryerson threw one completion for a 46 yard td.

Knowlton scored on 78 yard run

Simpson scored on 49 yard run

Knowlton scored on 83 yard run

(finished with 219 yards rushing on 13 carries)

against Whitehaven:

Simpson had 183 yards rushing on 24 carries, 1 td on 62 yard option pass

254 total rushing yards.

sorry thats all i could find for now...

Against White Station:

Simpson and Knowlton combined for 351 yards rushing.

Eddie Robinson and Tyshaun Holmes also ran the ball.

470 total rushing yards.

Fryerson threw one completion for a 46 yard td.

Knowlton scored on 78 yard run

Simpson scored on 49 yard run

Knowlton scored on 83 yard run

(finished with 219 yards rushing on 13 carries)

against Whitehaven:

Simpson had 183 yards rushing on 24 carries, 1 td on 62 yard option pass

254 total rushing yards.

sorry thats all i could find for now...

Has Millington made plays like this all season? (i.e. have they always beat teams by breaking the big play?) Or do they generally grind the defense down by picking up 4-5 yards a play and putting together long drives? I ask this because at the beginning of the year, Indy had some trouble giving up big plays. While their D has contained plays like these in recent weeks, this is by far the most athletic team they've played in a while.

Millington is definitely a dangerous team that can take it the distance on every play. There can't be any missed tackles or blown assignments defensively...otherwise we'll be standing there watching them take it 70+ yards to the house before we can even think twice.I still think that this game will be a lot closer than some have predicted. Millington is a good team that clearly played its best game last Friday. However, they are beatable...Whitehaven proved this in the second round and Bolton also showed this earlier in the season...you're not going to completely shut down the running attack; it's too good. Millington doesn't appear to have any massive bodies up front, and so I expect the Independence blocking schemes to attack whatever weaknesses the coaches see on film. If Pettigrew can have an effective game running the ball, that opens up so much offensively and I doubt the Trojans will be able to stop all of it. Keeping their offense off the field should be a priority, but that's much easier said than done.

Has Millington made plays like this all season? (i.e. have they always beat teams by breaking the big play?) Or do they generally grind the defense down by picking up 4-5 yards a play and putting together long drives? I ask this because at the beginning of the year, Indy had some trouble giving up big plays. While their D has contained plays like these in recent weeks, this is by far the most athletic team they've played in a while.

Indy did face Antioch two weeks ago. Some pretty good athletes on the field at every position, including a Mr. Football finalist.

Millington is definitely a dangerous team that can take it the distance on every play. There can't be any missed tackles or blown assignments defensively...otherwise we'll be standing there watching them take it 70+ yards to the house before we can even think twice.I still think that this game will be a lot closer than some have predicted. Millington is a good team that clearly played its best game last Friday. However, they are beatable...Whitehaven proved this in the second round and Bolton also showed this earlier in the season...you're not going to completely shut down the running attack; it's too good. Millington doesn't appear to have any massive bodies up front, and so I expect the Independence blocking schemes to attack whatever weaknesses the coaches see on film. If Pettigrew can have an effective game running the ball, that opens up so much offensively and I doubt the Trojans will be able to stop all of it. Keeping their offense off the field should be a priority, but that's much easier said than done.Indy did face Antioch two weeks ago. Some pretty good athletes on the field at every position, including a Mr. Football finalist.

True. I was thinking more on a scale like BA.

Independence's defense is very good. They are aggressive, they tackle well, and they swarm to the ball. Like most high school teams I think you can probably throw the ball a little on them, but it doesn't sound like Millington does that very often. I think they will have to do a little more of that in this game.

#12 (Consiglio) gets a lot of publicity on defense for Independence, and rightfully so, but #3 (Robinson) has been extremely impressive the few times I've seen Independence play this season. He set the tone early for Independence in their game last Friday against Franklin blowing up several plays in the backfield. He also plays special teams, and is good there as well.

I don't know enough about Millington to make a prediction, but I'm hoping Independence can pull this game out. They have been fun to watch.

Ive only seen the option pass once. But i wouldnt count it out. That was the first time we were down all season when that play was called. Fryerson will throw to anyone on the field, whether it is a receiver, back, TE. anyone who is open. Nate Sorensen caught a pass last week vs Whitehaven i think. You cant just guard the "main" guys. If you cant control the run (like WhiteStaion), it could be nasty. Again, WS did have some 300 yards, but our D stepped up when it counted. Yards dont win games, scoring does.

Ill see if i can find stats for the last yew games. usually Mark H has all the stats, but he hasnt been on yet. i guess the other thread scared everyone away.

I've since wondered about the Millington/WHS game. Was Freyerson past the line of scrimmage when he lateraled the ball forward? I don't know and I wasn't at an angle to see if he was, and quite frankly ... while I watched that play unfold ... it never occured to me that he could have been past the line of scrimmage. It doesn't matter because it was a spectacular play, but i just wondered about it afterwards a few days later when I recapped the game in my head.

Oh well ... just a thought. Now about this weeks match-up.

millington does have 2 big guys that i know of. one is 6'3 340 and another is maybe 5'11 pushing 300. im not sure, but there could be maybe one more.

millington will run the ball all day long. its not just getting the big play. yes we do get big plays, our O line is great at opening up holes. we will grind down the defense at every possible angle, and we will keep you D on the field. that is, unless we get that big play.

no team has really run the ball WELL on millington at all this year. The D will stuff anyone at the line. Your best bet is passing. Good luck on the run. We do have smaller guys on D, but they will hit you in your mouth if you underestimate their size. They are QUICK. (2 weeks ago melvin kneeland knocked a guys helmet off and it flew ten yards upfield. the poor reciever didnt get up for 10 minutes. no lie!)

in regards to the games against WH and bolton: both games were filled with turnovers. i dont want to say we were beating them, because anything could have happened. against WH we fumbled and they scored 14 points in 7 seconds. Bolton was raining and we fumbled a lot. Im not saying we should have won, because its all part of the game. obviously we got the better plays when it counted.

millington has only allowed 14 points (16 for White station) from 3 teams this season. bolton, whitehaven, and collierville.