South Pittsburg vs. Mckenzie

HomeyTheClown

SP was the best team in 1A this year but don't let that go to your head. They would have given Alcoa a good game and David Lipscomb also but Maryville and Smyrna would have kept them in check. Way too much depth. IMO. Alcoa is a heck of a team but Maryville put them away don't forget. Sometimes looking across classes can be fun and alot of teams can play a level or 2 above their own but 3 or 4 levels is a bit much.

I realize SP this year beat several 2A teams. A couple of years ago Trousdale beat LA and they later won the 3A title so I have no doubt that SP could play with most 2A and 3A teams this year but I don't think they could go to a power like Maryville and have a chance.

Depth only work's if the other Team is being worn down.. i havnt seen spitt with there hands on there Hips all year

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe SP should schedule the NE Patriots. Sounds like there is no competition for them here in Tennessee.

I watched them embarass Mckenzie Friday afternoon. I also watched the other 4 games. SP is good, real good, and could hold their own with several of the larger schools. But not with the elite programs in 4a & 5a. C'mon, you say that Maryville didn't look that fast or impressive. You think SP could stay on the field with Smyrna? These teams were playing the best in the west in their respective divisions! I'm not downing SP, they are for real in 1a. Maryville, Smyrna, however would have had their way with them.

Thanks. Before the game I said special teams would be a factor. Everybody focused on the inconsistency of our kicker but he does enough to get by and the team works very hard on special teams...every day. The coaches scheme the special teams for each opponent every week after looking at film...Did you notice how we were double teaming McKenzie's gunners on punts to block them better? It gave us some breathing room to catch the ball and set up a return. Of course it left us a little more vulnerable to a fake but we knew our speed advantage would help there

zonepirate,

Our kicking teams were succeptible to a return set up like that most of the season. In the previous two games our punt and kick off teams covered better by staying in their lanes but, prior to that they would cave in on the return man almost every time and then they would pop it outside on us for some pretty big returns. We kind of fell back into that again Friday. As you mentioned though, taking our gunners out of the equation made that a lot more glaring.

Congrats, ya'll did a great job this season. Obviously our kids were pretty upset this weekend but, to the man they are all going back to work today in the weight room to start getting ready for next season. Several of them are getting ready for baseball and hunting another trip to the 'Boro this spring. We do have one of those Gold Balls!!! They all are starting a rebuilding process for next football season though. I suspect our offense may have a very different look next year.

I watched SP on TV and they were impressive , but in no way could stack up against the Ezell -Harding squad a few years back. I think they still have the scoring record and a lot more records as well with several players playing on D-1 schools.

If you will check, mostly my refrences were to west TN teams I've seen this season. I did concede that there are some teams I have seen in west TN that could handle them over the years in the lower classes. BUT I will stick to my guns that they are the best class A team I've ever seen. Naturally there just might have been a class A team over the years in west TN that I didn't see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's pretty easy to sit here now and say that they couldn't have beaten this or that team. No way to support it other than debate and neither will concede. I never figured the Rebels would stop them but, I did think that we could score enough to keep it interesting. That is untill about mid way of the first quarter--after that we were just trying to save the equipment (except for our little offensive flurry in the 4th quarter) (and I had seen them on film too). Film and TV doesn't do them justice.

None the less, we are still proud of the Rebels for making it there and will support them just as hard next season and hope to go back to the 'Boro real soon. We do have some rebuilding to do now but, this bunch knows what it takes now and still has a goal.

SP was the best team in 1A this year but don't let that go to your head. They would have given Alcoa a good game and David Lipscomb also but Maryville and Smyrna would have kept them in check. Way too much depth. IMO. Alcoa is a heck of a team but Maryville put them away don't forget. Sometimes looking across classes can be fun and alot of teams can play a level or 2 above their own but 3 or 4 levels is a bit much.

I realize SP this year beat several 2A teams. A couple of years ago Trousdale beat LA and they later won the 3A title so I have no doubt that SP could play with most 2A and 3A teams this year but I don't think they could go to a power like Maryville and have a chance.

SP was clearly the best 1A state in TN and there are more than likely teams from every class 1-5 that they could beat.

Having said that, Alcoa would match their speed and run them off the field. Even Goodpasture and DL would be too much for them; they would put some points on the board but both GP and DL would clearly win. This is not a shot at SP at all, they are 1 of the best 1A teams I have seen, the only better 1A champ that comes to mind would be the TC team from a couple of years ago.....

Maybe SP should schedule the NE Patriots. Sounds like there is no competition for them here in Tennessee.

I watched them embarass Mckenzie Friday afternoon. I also watched the other 4 games. SP is good, real good, and could hold their own with several of the larger schools. But not with the elite programs in 4a & 5a. C'mon, you say that Maryville didn't look that fast or impressive. You think SP could stay on the field with Smyrna? These teams were playing the best in the west in their respective divisions! I'm not downing SP, they are for real in 1a. Maryville, Smyrna, however would have had their way with them.

Smyrna would have beaten Maryville in my opinion...no one said there was no competition.. I said they could play with them.... just like when i said all year how good spitt was and i might add i was the only one all year that said that.... Ill take redicule saying i think they could play with maryville.

Smyrna would have beaten Maryville in my opinion...no one said there was no competition.. I said they could play with them.... just like when i said all year how good spitt was and i might add i was the only one all year that said that.... Ill take redicule saying i think they could play with maryville.

They could play w/ Maryville and possibly score a couple times and 3 at the very most but would not stop Maryville from scoring. Maryville would win by atleats 2-3 TDs but I would guess by 4 or more, this is not taking a shot at SP either, Maryville is just good.....

As far as Smyrna goes I think you could be right b/c they clearly have better athletes than Maryville and are very versitile on offense. I believe Smyrna would have a really great chance to win but it would be a very competitive game either way.....

zonepirate,Our kicking teams were succeptible to a return set up like that most of the season. In the previous two games our punt and kick off teams covered better by staying in their lanes but, prior to that they would cave in on the return man almost every time and then they would pop it outside on us for some pretty big returns. We kind of fell back into that again Friday. As you mentioned though, taking our gunners out of the equation made that a lot more glaring.Congrats, ya'll did a great job this season. Obviously our kids were pretty upset this weekend but, to the man they are all going back to work today in the weight room to start getting ready for next season. Several of them are getting ready for baseball and hunting another trip to the 'Boro this spring. We do have one of those Gold Balls!!! They all are starting a rebuilding process for next football season though. I suspect our offense may have a very different look next year.

It was noticed /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> . There was a feeling that the return game would be a plus for us. The gunners were your one bright spot...they really got down the field... so Coach Grider took a chance to make those guys less effective and it paid off big

Tell them they have nothing to hang their heads about...we had an exceptional team this year. We have 3 of those Silver ones we are pretty proud of. Not many teams have one of those

I agree...Smyrna was awesome

SP was clearly the best 1A state in TN and there are more than likely teams from every class 1-5 that they could beat.

Having said that, Alcoa would match their speed and run them off the field. Even Goodpasture and DL would be too much for them; they would put some points on the board but both GP and DL would clearly win. This is not a shot at SP at all, they are 1 of the best 1A teams I have seen, the only better 1A champ that comes to mind would be the TC team from a couple of years ago.....

Kev...I believe we could beat 3 of the 4 of the 2A-3A teams in the Boro and give Alcoa all they wanted. I just don't see where their talent was that much above ours this year. Now the 4A and 5A teams were just too big for us to have any success. We have an exceptional group of athletes this year

As long as a team is using players who already are living in their community and not just move there and/or are asked to come there and get a scholarship then I could care less if they dominate for 10 strait years. When a team is able to bring talent in, regardless of how or what you call it, it is recruiting and unless all of the teams can do it, it gives the teams that can an unfair advantage. BA did this for years and they had great teams but, like it or not, they had an unfair advantage over their competition.

Take Maryville for example, they do not recruit, after watching them play the other night I can promise you that. Like many posters who support that team have stated many times, if they recruit then their recruiters need to be fired b/c they have an undersized line, 150-160 pound RBs, and only a couple of athletes that really stand out at all. They were however technically sound and very well coached.

You may want to pick a different example. The way I understand it, both Maryville and Alcoa have fairly open enrollment policies where around $800 a year and your own transportation gets you in to either school regardless of zoning. Plus enrollment is held at a level where they play the classification they want to.

Kev...I believe we could beat 3 of the 4 of the 2A-3A teams in the Boro and give Alcoa all they wanted. I just don't see where their talent was that much above ours this year. Now the 4A and 5A teams were just too big for us to have any success. We have an exceptional group of athletes this year

I will have to respectfully disagree w/ you here b/c I believe both Alcoa and Fulton has more or equal speed than SP and DL and GPs lines would be much harder to have success against than what SP had faced. Its like I said, not to put SP down at all but I watched everyone of those games Friday and Sat. and could clearly see a difference from class to class. Now having said that, I believe SP could be a final 4 team in both 2A and 3A.....

Now I know that unapproved website.com is not always accurate but here are their projectins just for the fun of it

Alcoa (TN) 38, South Pittsburg (TN) 27

South Pittsburg (TN) 35, Goodpasture Christian (Madison, TN) 31

Lipscomb (Nashville, TN) 28, South Pittsburg (TN) 27

Fulton (Knoxville, TN) 31, South Pittsburg (TN) 21

Smyrna (TN) 40, South Pittsburg (TN) 21

Maryville (TN) 38, South Pittsburg (TN) 20

What the heck

Maryville (TN) 27, Smyrna (TN) 24

I dont agree w/ all of these but it is fun to mess around w/ none the less.....

My deepest apology umphopper, I was just getting so excited in the game and my mistake I wrote your name on the post, I thought about it right after I did it but I lost internet connection and couldnt get back on to apologize to you. Good lick to you and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

THANKS BRO,I AM NOT FROM S.P.,BUT I HAVE FOLLOWED U GUYS ALL YEAR.I HAVE BEEN A HUGE HIGH SCHOOL FAN 4 ABOUT 30YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN A BETTER 1A TEAM.MERRY CHRISTMAS..

My deepest apology umphopper, I was just getting so excited in the game and my mistake I wrote your name on the post, I thought about it right after I did it but I lost internet connection and couldnt get back on to apologize to you. Good lick to you and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

THANKS BRO,I AM NOT FROM S.P.,BUT I HAVE FOLLOWED U GUYS ALL YEAR.I HAVE BEEN A HUGE HIGH SCHOOL FAN 4 ABOUT 30YEARS AND HAVE NEVER SEEN A BETTER 1A TEAM.MERRY CHRISTMAS..