Maryville vs Maplewood

REBELRON

I think I'll try to resurrect this thread since the other one is so lame...

I think we're experiencing a strange phenomenon here...at least in my opinion. Several observations:

- most years headed into the state game, Maryville hears a lot about what we won't be able to handle from out West

- never as much as this year have so many people doubted Maryville throughout the season, and yet...

- here we are and it don't think Maryville has had so much of the public opinion behind them going into the game

What's up with that?

If this is the year that Maryville is supposed to be so vulnerable, then why is no one picking against them now? Does that say anything about Maplewood or am I just bored the day before state and trying to stir something up?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we're experiencing a strange phenomenon here...at least in my opinion. Several observations:

- most years headed into the state game, Maryville hears a lot about what we won't be able to handle from out West

- never as much as this year have so many people doubted Maryville throughout the season, and yet...

- here we are and it don't think Maryville has had so much of the public opinion behind them going into the game

What's up with that?

If this is the year that Maryville is supposed to be so vulnerable, then why is no one picking against them now? Does that say anything about Maplewood or am I just bored the day before state and trying to stir something up?

Papa C,

Seems to be a couple of things.

1. The offense is getting on all cylinders right now. The only time they have been stopped in recent weeks is when they stop themselves.

2. Maplewood seems to have some luck come about their way and most fans from the west don't think they are really that good.

I've said it all year and I will again. I will be surprised if a team has a defense that can stop Maryville's offense completely. Plus, GQ ALWAYS has a knack of knowing when to call a "trick" play when it is least expected. BUT....

There's still those fumbles that have appeared all year. If they come back again, it may haunt the Rebels. If not....I just don't see Maplewood being good enough to do it.

What's up with that?

1st no one is picking against them because they perceive this team to be another bunch of mass produced world beaters that MHS has churned out of their secret football machine, and that looks to be a smart pick NOWbecause the offense has peaked at the right time once again. (its almost as if GQ plans it that way) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

2nd yes i think you probably are just bored and trying to stir up something.As far as the trick plays go GQ has always had the knack to use them at the right time and when they play a fast defense he always uses their speed to his advantage somehow!!

On another note is it just me or is 4a a little down this year as a whole?

agreed comrads, the other thread got filled with bologni. Here, we can concentrate on the upcoming events at hand.

First off, I congrats to both teams (MHS vs. Maplewood) for making it this far. It is an honor. And nobody is safe ever during a game...that is why they are played. If the coaches or players at MHS begin to believe in their own hype, they will fall. However, I strongly doubt this will happen. But we do know when many of their own fans predicted that they would lose to Red Bank....we saw what it did to the players. Could the reverse hype have the same effect, which would result in MHS losing? Just a thought.

Secondly, I found some interesting facts about coach Quarles. After a co-worker of mine interviewed him for the State Championship Special, the man behind 59 straight victories proves to have some interesting techniques to staying grounded. Coach Quarles said that Yoga and Pilates (after hours) really helps clear his mind. He said, "The pilates keeps my abs in check while the yoga allows me to become one with my thoughts and my body. I didn't expect I'd say that, but for the last several years, it's really helped me." When Quarles was asked about the yoga giving him some kind of ESP for football as a joke, Quarles snickered and said that although "it's a silly idea, but I do feel as if I can see the field better and predict what the defense will do during most Friday nights."

p.s. You can read this article and more which will be on sale in Murfeesboro at the games!

Travel safe all

The DL

1st no one is picking against them because they perceive this team to be another bunch of mass produced world beaters that MHS has churned out of their secret football machine, and that looks to be a smart pick NOWbecause the offense has peaked at the right time once again. (its almost as if GQ plans it that way) /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

2nd yes i think you probably are just bored and trying to stir up something.As far as the trick plays go GQ has always had the knack to use them at the right time and when they play a fast defense he always uses their speed to his advantage somehow!!

On another note is it just me or is 4a a little down this year as a whole?

Clearly I'm bored.

Absolutely the team is peaking at the right time.

I'm not sure that 4A overall is down this year, but I do think that it's a rare coincidence when several perennial powers are down in the same year. I can't believe the season that Central had (although injury-aided I know). Motown West is obviously down. I thought that Hillsboro would fare better this season. But on the flip side of the coin, some teams that are not usually so tough have really risen up. It would be hard to say that Sully South was down or Red Bank, and then there are teams like Halls and Knox West that fielded particularly good teams this season.

So, to sum that up, I think that the average team is probably about the same but some of the usual contenders are a bit weaker this season...I think that Maryville is also one of those top tier teams that is not at its best this year.

MARYVILLE WINS BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DON'T DOUBT THAT MAPLEWOOD IS A GOOD TEAM BUT MARYVILLE IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN ANY TEAM. YOU MIGHT SAY MAPLEWOOD HAS MORE SPPED, OR SIZE BUT WE ALL KNOW BY NOW THAT MARYVILLE IS THE MOST PREPARED TEAM IN THE STATE OF TENNESSEE AND IN THE STATE FINALS IT WILL BE NO DIFFRENT. MARYVILLE45 MAPLEWOOD 12! GO REBELS GET YOU ANOTHER ONE. ANDONE MORE THING IF THESE SENIORS WIN TOMMORROW THEN THE WILL BE AN ASTOWNDING 60-0 IN THEIR CAREER!

Clearly I'm bored.

Absolutely the team is peaking at the right time.

I'm not sure that 4A overall is down this year, but I do think that it's a rare coincidence when several perennial powers are down in the same year. I can't believe the season that Central had (although injury-aided I know). Motown West is obviously down. I thought that Hillsboro would fare better this season. But on the flip side of the coin, some teams that are not usually so tough have really risen up. It would be hard to say that Sully South was down or Red Bank, and then there are teams like Halls and Knox West that fielded particularly good teams this season.

So, to sum that up, I think that the average team is probably about the same but some of the usual contenders are a bit weaker this season...I think that Maryville is also one of those top tier teams that is not at its best this year.

Maybe thats what i was trying to get across. It does seem that most of the perennial powers are down from their standards. and I agree this is certainly not the best the Red Rebels have fielded on paper but once again they seem to be over acheivers and there is nothing in athletics greater than heart. I would much rather watch average athletes play up a notch than great ones have an easy time!

Papa C,

Seems to be a couple of things.

1. The offense is getting on all cylinders right now. The only time they have been stopped in recent weeks is when they stop themselves.

2. Maplewood seems to have some luck come about their way and most fans from the west don't think they are really that good.

I've said it all year and I will again. I will be surprised if a team has a defense that can stop Maryville's offense completely. Plus, GQ ALWAYS has a knack of knowing when to call a "trick" play when it is least expected. BUT....

There's still those fumbles that have appeared all year. If they come back again, it may haunt the Rebels. If not....I just don't see Maplewood being good enough to do it.

thats very interesting maryville fumbles have been a problem all year

and I know for a fact that maplewood has taken advantage of several fumbles all year especially in key games. check the stats in the playoff game vs hillsboro.

the offense will always say we turned the ball over

the defense will always say we forced turnovers

this will be something i will look for tommorow

Eh, seems to look like Maryville has lot's of wepons, but I'm sure every member of every school's team feels that way. I felt that way with Henry County. Of coarse Maplewood beat us in the third or fourth overtime by one point. No hard feelings to Maplewood players or fans, you beat us fair and square, but I do not for one second think y'all were the better team. But, you did play harder, better, and you had the will to win, and that's all that matters this late in the playoffs. So, moving on and getting back to the subject. Maplewood has a beast at #55 as a defensive lineman. Plain and simple, if you block him, get ready for him in a few seconds because he will still be coming. Their quarterback/defensive back/punt returner/punter (#4), seems to be the bread and butter of the team. If he has a good game, then their team has a good game. Against us it seemed impossible to get him down once he was in the open feild. He's definantly fast, but thank god we had the speed of Marsalis Teague on our team or he would have scored many times. As well as #4, #2 is a pretty decent back who will definantly run hard, if he gets hit in the back field he tries to squeek it back up feild to try to get a few yards. As for their defense, their lineman are big, their ends are quick and tall, and their backs make tackles. Maplewood's main priority would be shutting down number 55 in the trenches. I think we did a good job in doing so, but I noticed every play he would go 100% as any player should, and he gave our offensive line a hard time. I'm not all that familiar with Maryville, I probably would be if we would have beat Maplewood, but I'm sorry to say I'm not. But nevertheless, I have Maryville winning this game, I don't know a score, so I'm not going to post one. And congrats to Maplewood to getting this far - I wish I was in your shoes right now. As much as I want MHS to win for us, I just don't see it happening. With Maryville moving up to 5-AAAA as well as Mel Rose, and our offensive wepons returning, I hope that HCHS can head down to the borro next year and take one back home to Paris. But yeah, I see Maryville winning, but they need to watch out for #4 and #55.

What's up with that?

Hmm...

It's not been a good year by Maryville standards (except in the passing game anyway) but in the last two weeks against Red Bank and Sullivan South, Maryville seems to have hit their stride - as far as the running game, the OL, and defensively as well - and nobody really wants to play a Maryville team that's hot, I think.

I guess I'm mostly confident because of how we've done the last two weeks, that and I don't quite get this feeling that anybody really expected Maplewood to be in the big game this year.

But I AM glad to play somebody other than Hillsboro for a change. Thank you, Maplewood.

EDIT: Basically what Solomon said.