District 13AA

GCPioneer

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nwtnsports

That's right, and I'm sure he is. I thought the big stats were Westview's 3-point shooting and Milan's rebounding - Glenn had 22 of them. Westview put together a run in the fourth quarter behind some crucial shots. FR Crystal Bledsoe came in for Gray and gave some great minutes at guard.

It's an important district win on the road for Milan, who's now won eight in a row. The Lady 'Dogs will finish the season with three non-district games - Lexington, Humboldt, and Trinity Christian.

WHO CARES!? If you want a 13AA V. 7AA grudge match. Set it up! It happened a couple of years ago and who dominated? 13AA!!! I believe we won all the games except for two and yes it was matched 1st seed v 1st seed, 2nd v 2nd from each District. You say you have more gold balls but I say we dominated the 13AA/7AA showdown at Westview.

Now back on topic.

Congratulations! I am glad that you dominated, but in the end, the gold is much more satisfying. And no team won the state from 7-AA or 13-AA that year did they. But, the last time 7-AA met 13-AA in the state, I believe it was LA over GC and the year before was Jackson county over Westview. Which, really, Westview is the only team that has any bragging rights, as far as history goes in the state tournament. I believe you all have a tough district. Maybe will get the chance to meet up. But of course, one game at a time.

Another poster wants to compare 14-A to 7-A. 14-A does have 11 gold balls, the poster actually went back to 1982, which is over the last 26 years. I am sure they would have went back farther had they brought anymore home. Pickett County was taking care of business then, helping 7-A with 12 gold balls. 7-A also has 8 silver to go with the gold, while 14-A has only 4. History is really only good for remembrance, although it is nice to remember when, it does not speak for the here and now. In the end, both 14-A and 7-A are both respected storied districts.

I also read where a poster had talked about the "Grand Scheme", intangibles, and lessons learned...While I agree they are much more important than championships, I just hope they are not implying that the kids over this way are walking from their HS careers without these qualities. Because if you have ever played HS sports, you would know you can not run to the store and buy them (memories, lessons learned, etc from playing).

Guest nwtnsports

That's correct, jvaughan.

Here are the standings:

(t1) Gibson Co. - 19-3, 9-2

(t1) Obion Co. - 21-2, 8-2

(3) Milan - 18-4, 9-3

(4) Dyersburg - 15-9, 4-6

(t5) Westview - 17-9, 4-7

(t5) Dyer Co. - 16-10, 4-7

(7) Crockett Co. - 7-17, 0-11

Milan 63, Westview 58 (OT)

M - 14 12 18 10 9

W - 10 15 11 18 4

M - Poston 22, Gray 20, Glenn 15, Simpson 3, Joyner 2, Hamm 1

W - Rechis 21, Swaim 21, Brooks 9, Olds 5, Nanney 2

Field goals: M 19-55 (19-47 2's, 0-8 3's); W 19-51 (12-32 2's, 7-19 3's)

Free throws: M 25-33, W 13-14

Rebounds: M 40, W 16

Turnovers: M 16, W 12

This was the worst managed last minute of a game I have seen since Duke erased a 10 point lead in the last minute against Maryland 10-12 years ago. Maryland lost in OT, but Milan survived. In the last minute with a 7 point lead Milan had a senior take an 18 foot jump shot, a senior make an incredibly lazy pass for a turnover against the press, a senior commit a foul (her 5th) on a two foot shot that produced a 3pt play, and another player commit a foul on yet another 2ft shot for another 3pt play to tie the game. This total, complete team brain freeze resulted in overtime. Fortunately, Poston took over in the overtime and bailed out the team. This Bulldog team has completed an incredible January. They have vastly improved their man to man defense, rebounding and effort. They have also added the 3 ball to their attack, by finally convincing Hamm and Joyner to let it fly. They are on a good roll heading toward the tournament. But, to get to Murfreesboro, where this team should go this year, they need a few more improvements. Here's a little free constructive criticism, call it some "if you want to go to the 'boro" advice from a casual fan. #1. This team needs to spend major minutes discussing and drilling game situations involving the clock, fouls and shot selection. I would make them watch the last three minutes of regulation possession by possession. These ladies need to understand that they cannot win every game with their superior physical prowess. This team is bigger, stronger and faster than most anyone they play, but they must recognize when to use a little more brains and a little less brawn. I'm sure these things are drilled over and over but I just don't think the players are convinced of the importance of the little things because these same mistakes are repeated over and over. Winning hides alot of these little flaws but they need to be corrected to bring home a Gold Ball. #2. Chantel Poston needs to receive the ball on the block a lot more often. She does not need it on the wing. She always settles for an 8-12ft jump shot. Always. Chantel shooting a jumpshot from 10ft is letting the defense off the hook. Put her on the block and keeping working it until she can get a touch on the block. With a drop step she shoots from 2-5ft and would be in postion for the put back. How many foul shots could she shoot? How much foul trouble would it create for the opponents front line. If they drop down to double she kicks it to the 3pt shooter for an open 3. Pretty simple, but very difficult to stop. Put her on the block.

Tightwad if I could give you a 40 foot AMEN for that sermon I would!!

Milan barely sqeaked by a motivated Lexington team tonite. Good thing Glenn showed up, another 17 boards after a 20 board game last night with double figure points both nights.A true rebounding machine!!

What a week for 13AA coming up!!

Westview,Dyersburg & Dyer County could all be 4,5 or 6 when the week is over. GC & OC could be 1st or 2nd. Milan is a solid 3rd. Crockett is 7th.

DB @ GC Tuesday is the 1st showdown. OC @ DB is the next one, along with MW vs DC for district position.

And possibly the biggest thing of all, on 2/8 @ 9AM in Milan, the possible coin flip to see who may win the district, get the free pass to the region, and who Milan faces in the opening round and who are they in the semi-final bracket with. Who is in the loser leave the tournament game 4 vs 5 opening round. Lot on the line this week. May need to keep that coin warm for 4,5, and 6 spots.

The district winner can take a breath and know you are in the region. The 2nd place team can take a short breath as you know you play a not very strong crockett team. From 3rd thru 6th, look out, no gimmes anywhere.

And then when all of this is over and we send our 4 teams to Haywood, we start all over. Then it is who can put out NS and who can win the final matchup of 2 13AA schools for 2 13AA schools to hopefully move on.

Milan is playing extremely strong right now! Not a team you want to face anytime during the tournaments unless it's in the championship. I'm thinking this year will be the year North Side will get knocked off before the championship. All I've heard about from that team is Union commit Lavanda Ross. 13AA is extremely strong this year, I don't care what the Upper Cumberland have to say becuase they go by the past. It's going to get interesting within the next couple of weeks that's for sure! May the best teams win!!!!

This was the worst managed last minute of a game I have seen since Duke erased a 10 point lead in the last minute against Maryland 10-12 years ago. Maryland lost in OT, but Milan survived. In the last minute with a 7 point lead Milan had a senior take an 18 foot jump shot, a senior make an incredibly lazy pass for a turnover against the press, a senior commit a foul (her 5th) on a two foot shot that produced a 3pt play, and another player commit a foul on yet another 2ft shot for another 3pt play to tie the game. This total, complete team brain freeze resulted in overtime. Fortunately, Poston took over in the overtime and bailed out the team. This Bulldog team has completed an incredible January. They have vastly improved their man to man defense, rebounding and effort. They have also added the 3 ball to their attack, by finally convincing Hamm and Joyner to let it fly. They are on a good roll heading toward the tournament. But, to get to Murfreesboro, where this team should go this year, they need a few more improvements. Here's a little free constructive criticism, call it some "if you want to go to the 'boro" advice from a casual fan. #1. This team needs to spend major minutes discussing and drilling game situations involving the clock, fouls and shot selection. I would make them watch the last three minutes of regulation possession by possession. These ladies need to understand that they cannot win every game with their superior physical prowess. This team is bigger, stronger and faster than most anyone they play, but they must recognize when to use a little more brains and a little less brawn. I'm sure these things are drilled over and over but I just don't think the players are convinced of the importance of the little things because these same mistakes are repeated over and over. Winning hides alot of these little flaws but they need to be corrected to bring home a Gold Ball. #2. Chantel Poston needs to receive the ball on the block a lot more often. She does not need it on the wing. She always settles for an 8-12ft jump shot. Always. Chantel shooting a jumpshot from 10ft is letting the defense off the hook. Put her on the block and keeping working it until she can get a touch on the block. With a drop step she shoots from 2-5ft and would be in postion for the put back. How many foul shots could she shoot? How much foul trouble would it create for the opponents front line. If they drop down to double she kicks it to the 3pt shooter for an open 3. Pretty simple, but very difficult to stop. Put her on the block.

Great Post, but you forgot one thing - Put the ladies on the Free Throw Lane and allow them to get put backs on Free Throws.

Awesome job by westview, put in all guards set up press stole ball tied score showed alot of heart.But the best tem in the district pulled it out in OT