Mr. Football Winners

HEATHHELTON

AS someone who was fortunate enough to attend this event let me just say wow!

The Titans did an absolute wondeful job putting this on and it was 1st class all the way. The pre awards area for the state football finalist allowing all the media access to the players and coaches was great.

It was also good to see players from teams that will play each other saturday sitting one table away from each other.

I even got a chance to talk with Independence about their Millington game last week.

I got to talk with a lot of coaches including coach Quarrels who seems like one of the finest people you could ever meet. Smyrna had a player (childs) transfer up to Maryville for his senior year and his dad told me what a class man coach Quarrels was.

For a hs football fan it was like going to mecca!!

And congrats rod wilks way to represent Smyrna and region4 5a.

As for all the post concerning who got robbed I understand, after sitting there for each group of players and listening to the stats for each one I was like -- wow I would hate to have to pick they are all very good. Sometimes the player with the stat won sometime they didn't.

I will say this it is like watching cliff diving - you set there and watch the 1st one and go WOW he was good!, then you watch the second one and go WOW he was good!, then the third and WOW he was good, after a short time you finally realize they were ALL very good and if the weren't they wouldn't have been there!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS someone who was fortunate enough to attend this event let me just say wow!

The Titans did an absolute wondeful job putting this on and it was 1st class all the way. The pre awards area for the state football finalist allowing all the media access to the players and coaches was great.

It was also good to see players from teams that will play each other saturday sitting one table away from each other.

I even got a chance to talk with Independence about their Millington game last week.

I got to talk with a lot of coaches including coach Quarrels who seems like one of the finest people you could ever meet. Smyrna had a player (childs) transfer up to Maryville for his senior year and his dad told me what a class man coach Quarrels was.

For a hs football fan it was like going to mecca!!

And congrats rod wilks way to represent Smyrna and region4 5a.

As for all the post concerning who got robbed I understand, after sitting there for each group of players and listening to the stats for each one I was like -- wow I would hate to have to pick they are all very good. Sometimes the player with the stat won sometime they didn't.

I will say this it is like watching cliff diving - you set there and watch the 1st one and go WOW he was good!, then you watch the second one and go WOW he was good!, then the third and WOW he was good, after a short time you finally realize they were ALL very good and if the weren't they wouldn't have been there!

Great point 82cat. "All very good and if they weren't they wouldn't be there." That's why individual awards are so tough to hand out. I hope the ones that didn't win realize what a great year they had and how much they gave to the fans, coaches, schools and teammates. Good luck to all of them in the future! By playing this great sport they have learned alot of life lessons and by their accomplishments they are all winners!

I do not know all wilkes stats except he had less than a 1000 yds receiving...but here are sterlings season stats

ATTS - 342

Yards - 2738

Ave per Game - 211

TD's - 29

I will not take anything away from the Wilkes kid and I am not by any means trying to put down his season. However, there is no way you can say that he had a season anywhere close to what Sterling did. This award is suppose to be based on performance of the season not on who you signed with or where you are from or who you play for. Sterling had one of the top 5 seasons ever in the history of Tennessee high school football, including number 2 for single season rushing.

stats comparing sterling and wilks this year would be appreciated

Through 13 games, according to the Knoxville News-Sentinel (numbers almost certainly provided by Smyrna), Wilks had 1,048 yards receiving and 18 TDs; I don't know about his defensive stats. Sterling in 13 games rushed for about 2,720 yards and 29 TDs; he didn't play defense.

Sterling's single season rushing total was the most ever by a back in a classification higher than 1A (or Division 2 Small). It's the 4th best total overall according to the TSSAA records page. Sterling was the only repeat finalist for 5A Back of the Year from a year ago.

Looks like Curt Phillips got hosed as well in 4A.

WOW! this award is a complete JOKE, this is darn ridiculous. Rod Wilks? are you kidding me? I am sure he is good but he is not andre sterling. The fact that Sterling did not win this award is reason enough to stop giving it. This kid is the BEST football player in the state, I don't care about where you have committed but watching this kid play is something special. This is ridiculous, for a kid to get ripped off like this is not right. I think every voter who had a say in this should take a long look at themselves in the mirror, this is a joke.

Oh and the fact that the Phillips kid didn't win it either is obsurd. Watching him lead his team to the semis with absolutly no help at all was amazing. Watching him run circles around the Maryville defense was spectcular, he completly out performed the Burnette kid. Burnette has a plethora of tremendous athletes to throw the ball to and they are capable of getting open and making plays, Phillips did not have this luxury and had to create plays by himself

WOW! this award is a complete JOKE, this is darn ridiculous. Rod Wilks? are you kidding me? I am sure he is good but he is not andre sterling. The fact that Sterling did not win this award is reason enough to stop giving it. This kid is the BEST football player in the state, I don't care about where you have committed but watching this kid play is something special. This is ridiculous, for a kid to get ripped off like this is not right. I think every voter who had a say in this should take a long look at themselves in the mirror, this is a joke.

Oh and the fact that the Phillips kid didn't win it either is obsurd. Watching him lead his team to the semis with absolutly no help at all was amazing. Watching him run circles around the Maryville defense was spectcular, he completly out performed the Burnette kid. Burnette has a plethora of tremendous athletes to throw the ball to and they are capable of getting open and making plays, Phillips did not have this luxury and had to create plays by himself

I think it is a tough thing to do, pick the best. No matter who get's the awards there are always a few kids who maybe were just as deserving. Heck there are kids just as deserving who did not even get invited to attend. You want to give the award to Phillips because you think he "run circles around the Maryville defense"? I think the award is based upon the whole body of work over the whole season right. If you check his stats vs. Maryville you'll find that Phillips ended up with 129 rushing yards and another 86 through the air with an interception. He got two TD's when the game counted but was the ball carrier 85% of the time. The kid is a top quality QB, but don't kid yourself if you think 2-4A is anyway near what 3-4A is in terms of competition.

Looking at Sterling??™s numbers I think he did get hosed because he plays in a pretty tough region, even though the region was a little down in my opinion. He also is a deserving player. Over all looking at the winners many of them will be playing this and next weekend in the SC and then in the E vs. W TN All-Star game.

who knows what made voters vote the way the did in any of these??

maybe they took into account wilks lead his team to a championship last year and scored 3 tds and was mvp.

now I know this was an award for this year but I bet a lot of voters saw that last year and its not like you can give your self amnesia.

as I said I was there I watched every award and in virtually every instance they could have picked any of the 3 and I could not say they didn't deserve it.

if you think sterling deserved it fine and if he won I would have no problem but wilks is also outstanding and no one should call it a joke. He is a great player and averages scoring around once every time he touches the ball. Truth be they should seperate the 2 awards because you are comparing apples and oranges when you compare a tb and a wr