hampton v/s unicoi

bulldog2000

To me, this looks like another typical Unicoi County year: Run through the conferance cause there are only 2 other teams in the entire district that can even play (C-D and Mountain City), have to go to the wire, or even get beat, when the play 1A teams. Then choke in the post season when they play a good team.

Do you consider substate choking? And as far as scheduling goes, Unicoi has played 5 3A schools including Science Hill, Sullivan East, and Daniel Boone. I'm glad you don't claim Hampton, I have a lot of respect for Bulldog posters.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I want to again say that Unicoi has a great team. Coach English has done a fantastic job with your program. However, yes, we will argue all night long about the referees. It was BAD both ways, however the refs did not make an outcome in the game. If we hit our free throws down the stretch, we win by ten or more. Your guys handchecked wayyyyyy tooo much. If the refs called the fouls they were supposed to AND we hit out free throws, it wouldn't have been close. I agree with you on one thing... Let's stop arguing... we'll see you on Jan 14th, when we have had time to get our football players into basketball shape!

Officiating had nothing to do with the loss. Both sides could play the "if/then" card until they're blue in the face, but the bottom line is Hampton wanted it more and flat out got the job done. Neither team played their best game, though, and I think the rematch will be another great match up down the line. As far as the 'Live by the 3, Die by the 3' motto, when Unicoi does the little things (make lay-ups, play defense, check out) it doesn't matter if the 3 is falling. I think Hampton has some quality basketball players and all of 1A will take notice when everyone gets in the same basketball rhythm. Best of luck Bulldogs!

I'm glad to see coach white started the five players he did tonight, these boy's have worked hard all year, not trying to take anything from the football players,( good bunch of young men), but i think if the football players coming back on the team should earn their spot, not just coming in and taking over like they have in the last couple of years with the other head coach, it has been in who you are and who you know, i hope that's in the past , and if a football player wants to be a starter then i think he needs to earn it, not just walk off the football field onto the ball court and take over ,

I think Lunceford earned his starting spot tonight...

First off, you little punk, I'm not from Hampton. You couldn't pay me money to even PRETEND I was from Hampton. Second, why does it matter who 1A teams play. Look at the facts. Unicoi breezed through the 2A conferance last year, but when they played 1A teams, they went won 5 and lost two. And THREE of those wins were by 4 points or less. So if your having that much trouble in 1A, yet putting up such a gawdy record, maybe YOU are the one that doesnt play anyone but people in wheelchairs..... I think you should go and just worry about sitting on the bench and and mopping up JV games, cause you really have no clue what you are talking about...

And to all Hamptonites: Good win.

u may want to look at who erwin plays... science hill, arbys, 2 6a schools in orlando, 4 aaa this year. they play a tough schedule and that includes 1a schools. hampton, cloudland are always very tough.. u should know all about how good cloudland is... u can NEVER get by them in post season. how often has hampton had post season success?? u would have thought they won the state last night after beating erwin... that ought to tell u something.

u may want to look at who erwin plays... science hill, arbys, 2 6a schools in orlando, 4 aaa this year. they play a tough schedule and that includes 1a schools. hampton, cloudland are always very tough.. u should know all about how good cloudland is... u can NEVER get by them in post season. how often has hampton had post season success?? u would have thought they won the state last night after beating erwin... that ought to tell u something.

that guy is from unaka, not Hampton. Hampton has already played science hill, tennessee high, and sullivan south so it isnt like they are not playing anyone either...

To me, this looks like another typical Unicoi County year: Run through the conferance cause there are only 2 other teams in the entire district that can even play (C-D and Mountain City), have to go to the wire, or even get beat, when the play 1A teams. Then choke in the post season when they play a good team.

typical unicoi team... are u referring to 2 substates? 3 conf. championships? 2 district titles? sounds like alot of choking to me? 86 wins the last 3 years and 8 this year (including 4 aaa wins this season) so we have choked losing to 30 win pigeon forge team at the buzzer in reg. championship? and losing at austin east and at fulton?? sounds like choking to me..

that guy is from unaka, not Hampton. Hampton has already played science hill, tennessee high, and sullivan south so it isnt like they are not playing anyone either...

No sense in attacking each other-- we're probably more alike than either side would like to admit ha. Figures a Unaka guy would jump all over this thread-- I'm glad we squeaked by the Rangers last week /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

No sense in attacking each other-- we're probably more alike than either side would like to admit ha. Figures a Unaka guy would jump all over this thread-- I'm glad we squeaked by the Rangers last week /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

Hustle Will Win, I've learned to respect you and what you say, Other than a couple of the 1a schools, I always pull for you guys and Johnson Co. Good programs don't make excuses, they go to work and try to get better. The football game was a great one this year. I'd say that game was a good wake up call for the Bulldogs.The way Isee it is, you have to give respect in defeat and be humble in the victories. I'm sure this game will only help Unicoi get better, losses expose weaknesses ,you have to see what you didn't do well before you can fix it..If Iwere In Unicoi's position Iwouldn't like the loss one bit, but I do think Jerry White has this Hampton team playing pretty well. You were not beat by a bunch of chumps. Good luck the rest of the way.

Way to go Bulldogs.GETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

No sense in attacking each other-- we're probably more alike than either side would like to admit ha.

I would have to agree with that statement. Just for fun let me throw out some stats I ran across.

UNICOI CO.= 3-1 over 3A teams, wins over Daniel Boone, Sullivan East and Cherokee. Only loss to Science Hill 65-59.

Averaging 72.2 ppg while only giving up 58.4

Opponents record (not including Hampton) 25-23

HAMPTON= First off, I can't find records on all the games Hampton has played, but here is what I could find.

0-2 against 3A teams. Losses to South and Tn High

2-0 against teams in the Watauga Conference Wins over Unicoi and Elizabethton.

Averaging 52 ppg while only giving up 47 ppg

Opponents record (from what I found) is 11-10

I think Hampton will have a very strong team this year. The football boys are strong athletes and will come aboard soon. Knowing Coach White as I do, I know he will have all of his players "earn" their spots. He has no gimmees. He's a tough guy, good discipline, good basketball fundamentals. Class program up there. And that Lunceford kid IS a beast! Good ball control.

Officiating had nothing to do with the loss. Both sides could play the "if/then" card until they're blue in the face, but the bottom line is Hampton wanted it more and flat out got the job done. Neither team played their best game, though, and I think the rematch will be another great match up down the line. As far as the 'Live by the 3, Die by the 3' motto, when Unicoi does the little things (make lay-ups, play defense, check out) it doesn't matter if the 3 is falling. I think Hampton has some quality basketball players and all of 1A will take notice when everyone gets in the same basketball rhythm. Best of luck Bulldogs!

It's so refreshing to read a quote with common sense! Thank you! Unicoi has a great team, I daresay they'll win the Watauga again this season. It seems like everyone on the team can shoot the three. The game thursday was typical of Unicoi/Hampton. The game was intense, tight, and physical, it just seemed that Hampton wanted it more at the end. Possibly Hampton's depth came into play as well, as Coach White went 10-11 players deep into his bench. When all of that depth gets the football rust shook off, this team will be a real handfull for teams to face. It's been a while at Hampton since we've felt so optimistic about our chances in the season, but this seems to be a great year in the making, hopefully no injuries will bite us in the butt before it has a chance to happen. Go Dogs!