Ranking of the teams in the Blue Cross Bowl

A49304930B

This whole thread is on the ridiculous side. Smyrna, Maryville, Lipscomb, Alcoa, and South Pittsburg are all champions.

Independence, Maplewood, Fulton, Goodpasture, and McKenzie have decent football teams, otherwise they wouldn't have been in the championship games.

Let's leave it at that.

What fun is that??? Take the thread for what it is...mindless chatter to kill time until football starts again next year /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Some of the opinions are interesting even if they don't agree with mine (and are therefore wrong /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> )

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Pittsburg Fans take this as a compliment and not that I am pick on your team. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'd love to see the Pirates schedule Alcoa.

Alcoa has a very hard time finding local teams to play. They have in the last couple of years had to travel to Kentucky & Spring Hill to pick up games. Alcoa scheduled McCallie which was some travel but 1 1/2 hours beats 4 hours!

SP would be some travel, but the small community atmosphere at both sites would be great.

Alcoa has played up in non-regional games and has benefited from it. Likewise, I think it would make SP better!

I think SP would make a great opponent! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Plus, you'd know for sure how you'd stake up against higher competition........................

Tell the Alcoa coach to call Coach Grider but our problem now is that we are in a 8 team region and therefore we only have 3 non-region openings. Jasper is our traditional rival that we play every year, we owe Tyner their home game and Boyd is one of our "money" games because of the big gate. Y'all might be able to get Tyner's spot after next year but playing them is a big gate game too. How about a spring scrimmage???

Tell the Alcoa coach to call Coach Grider but our problem now is that we are in a 8 team region and therefore we only have 3 non-region openings. Jasper is our traditional rival that we play every year, we owe Tyner their home game and Boyd is one of our "money" games because of the big gate. Y'all might be able to get Tyner's spot after next year but playing them is a big gate game too. How about a spring scrimmage???

I think that Alcoa verse South Pittsburgh would be great game and one I would drive to see. Personally I think that with the exception of McKenzie any of the other nine teams could beat each other on a given day. I do not mean to disrespect Mckenzie but their offense was ready to go and state championship caliber but not their defense. I base that on seeing some other of their games not just the South Pittsburgh final. I think South Pitt could have beat any of the teams at the championships but I think Lipscomb and Maryville could have as well. The school in my opinion that overachieved the most to get to the boro was Independence some would say MAplewood but they were loaded with athletes. My rankings are as follows:

1. Maryville (hard to argue 60 straight)

2. Lipscomb (best coached team in the state always has a chance in any game)

3. Smyrna (Great team turning into a power with a great QB and REC as well as Freshman RB)

4. Alcoa (Randall Cobb and RAnkin know how to get it done)

5. South Pittsburgh (Great Backfield and physical solid defense they will win it next year for sure)

6. Fulton (Cobb was great but just didnt quite have enough)

7. Maplewood (Much respect to RAlph Thompson)

8.Goodpasture(Their luck finally ran out )

9.Independence (Great run but didnt have enough)

10. Mckenzie (Defense just was outmatched)

I think that Alcoa verse South Pittsburgh would be great game and one I would drive to see. Personally I think that with the exception of McKenzie any of the other nine teams could beat each other on a given day. I do not mean to disrespect Mckenzie but their offense was ready to go and state championship caliber but not their defense. I base that on seeing some other of their games not just the South Pittsburgh final. I think South Pitt could have beat any of the teams at the championships but I think Lipscomb and Maryville could have as well. The school in my opinion that overachieved the most to get to the boro was Independence some would say MAplewood but they were loaded with athletes. My rankings are as follows:

1. Maryville (hard to argue 60 straight)

2. Lipscomb (best coached team in the state always has a chance in any game)

3. Smyrna (Great team turning into a power with a great QB and REC as well as Freshman RB)

4. Alcoa (Randall Cobb and RAnkin know how to get it done)

5. South Pittsburgh (Great Backfield and physical solid defense they will win it next year for sure)

6. Fulton (Cobb was great but just didnt quite have enough)

7. Maplewood (Much respect to RAlph Thompson)

8.Goodpasture(Their luck finally ran out )

9.Independence (Great run but didnt have enough)

10. Mckenzie (Defense just was outmatched)

What in the world have you been smokin? How can you have Lipscomb above Alcoa? GP beat Liscomb and Alcoa ran all over GP. If Fulton doesn't make all those mistakes they win. I will say Lipscomb is very well coached but couldn't beat Alcoa. My top 5 1. MARYVILLE 2. SMYRNA 3. ALCOA 4.LIPSCOMB 5. FULTON

What in the world have you been smokin? How can you have Lipscomb above Alcoa? GP beat Liscomb and Alcoa ran all over GP. If Fulton doesn't make all those mistakes they win. I will say Lipscomb is very well coached but couldn't beat Alcoa. My top 5 1. MARYVILLE 2. SMYRNA 3. ALCOA 4.LIPSCOMB 5. FULTON

First of all I dont smoke. Secondly IF Fulton doesnt make all those mistakes they win. THAT is laughable Lipscomb did not play a perfect game by any means. Towards the end of the Second Quarter if the QB doesnt under throw Rogers Lipscomb takes control. Also the Fulton Turnovers where all forced, they hit Cobb and he fumbled, Rogers made an amazing break on the ball for his first pick on his second pick he intelligently stayed at home on a well called but poorly executed trick play. The other interception was the LB breaking on the football. Lipscomb forced those mistakes and made the big plays to win the game. Even on the punt snap they still had to drive it in and score. DL earned every beat of the victory by being more disciplined and making big plays including a 47 yard TD Run. Alos before your post you obviously did not read my comments. I think Alcoa could beat Lipscomb and Lipscomb could beat Alcoa or South Pitt could beat Alcoa. Any of those teams could beat each other with one exception Mckenzie. Lipscomb has beat Alcoa and Alcoa has beat Lipscomb. In one of the games DL was up 49-0 at half on Alcoa on their home field. DL's program doesnt change and neither does the type of players it has that is why I think DL could beat Alcoa even though they are loaded and well coached. By the way in HS football its not how you start its how you finish. Lipscomb did lose in overtime to Goodpasture but it was week three in the season. Lipscomb actually turned the corner and improved as a result of that loss. This thread is starting to sound like a BCS discussion.

1. Maryville

2. Smyrna

3. Alcoa

4. Maplewood

5. South Pitt

6. Independence

7. Lipscomb

8. Fulton

9. Goodpasture

10. McKenzie

I think Maryville/Smyrna would be a great game. I've seen Smyrna twice this year on TV and neither time did I get to see them at full strength because against BA Gray was out and last night, well, I missed the 1st quarter. I guess I've lived here long enough that the Kool-Aid has gotten to me, but until someone beats GQ and Co., I won't believe that they can.

As fo the South Pitt debate, I rank them above Independence only because of how they performed this weekend. In all honesty, I think it would be very hard for a 1A team to beat any school 3A and above at this point just because of the depth factor and Alcoa, well, they are a 4A program in a 2A body. No doubt SP could hang with any of them for a while, I just think eventually having more players and more athletes would just take its effect on them. Like I have said a couple of times already though, that was the best 1A team I have ever seen.

Old Pirate says the debate is not about a complete season where depth would be diffently in the larger schools favor. The post as OP sees it is, how many teams could SP beat in a single game. It stands to reason a school with 240 students would have a rough time with a full schedule competing in the larger classifications. OP says look at the privates that were moved up in classification they are not the big dogs anymore even with their recruiting.

Old Pirate says the debate is not about a complete season where depth would be diffently in the larger schools favor. The post as OP sees it is, how many teams could SP beat in a single game. It stands to reason a school with 240 students would have a rough time with a full schedule competing in the larger classifications. OP says look at the privates that were moved up in classification they are not the big dogs anymore even with their recruiting.

I don't agree with the recruiting accusation but your other point is "right on". To say the 1A champ could compete with the top 2 teams in the higher divisions is a flawed argument. SP last won the state in 1999. After that the privates (that are now 2A) dominated the 1A finals (CPA,DCA,Boyd,Ezell, etc.) until the multiplier. Those same previously dominating 1A teams are having trouble getting to the 2A finals with the multiplier. That proves a 1A team has trouble beating the best of 2A. There could be exceptions, but again, the only way to prove a 1A powerhouse could beat an upper division finalist is for them to "play up" against the best teams in the higher divisions. And as Forrest Gump says: "that's all I'm going to say about that"

Blue Cross Bowl Ranking1. MARYVILLE 4A (NO BRAINER-RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELf)2. DAVID LIPSCOMB 3A3. MAPLEWOOD 4A4. ALCOA 2A (Rankin is the x-factor)5. SMYRNA 5A6. FULTON 3A7. Remainder are good teams! (No particular order)NOTE-5A INDEPENDENCE would not match-up well against top six IMHO! Blue Cross Bowl Ranking1. MARYVILLE 4A (NO BRAINER-RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELf)2. DAVID LIPSCOMB 3A3. MAPLEWOOD 4A4. ALCOA 2A (Rankin is the x-factor)5. SMYRNA 5A6. FULTON 3A7. Remainder are good teams! (No particular order)NOTE-5A INDEPENDENCE would not match-up well against top six IMHO!Blue Cross Bowl Ranking1. MARYVILLE 4A (NO BRAINER-RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELf)2. DAVID LIPSCOMB 3A3. MAPLEWOOD 4A4. ALCOA 2A (Rankin is the x-factor)5. SMYRNA 5A6. FULTON 3A7. Remainder are good teams! (No particular order)NOTE-5A INDEPENDENCE would not match-up well against top six IMHO!

Wow, if only they could only play maryville in their imagination.

1. Maryville (GQ .)

2. Smyrna

3. Alcoa (Smyrna depth is the difference, alhtough anything could happen)

4. Maplewood

5. Independence

6. David Lipscomb

7. Fulton

8. South Pitt

9. Goodpasture

10. Mckenzie

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

South Pittsburg Fans take this as a compliment and not that I am pick on your team. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I'd love to see the Pirates schedule Alcoa.

Alcoa has a very hard time finding local teams to play. They have in the last couple of years had to travel to Kentucky & Spring Hill to pick up games. Alcoa scheduled McCallie which was some travel but 1 1/2 hours beats 4 hours!

SP would be some travel, but the small community atmosphere at both sites would be great.

Alcoa has played up in non-regional games and has benefited from it. Likewise, I think it would make SP better!

I think SP would make a great opponent! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Plus, you'd know for sure how you'd stake up against higher competition........................

Alcoa does not have a hard time finding local teams, they dropped Fulton this year, and I know for a fact that Webb wanted to schedule them.

Blue Cross Bowl Ranking1. MARYVILLE 4A (NO BRAINER-RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELf)2. DAVID LIPSCOMB 3A3. MAPLEWOOD 4A4. ALCOA 2A (Rankin is the x-factor)5. SMYRNA 5A6. FULTON 3A7. Remainder are good teams! (No particular order)NOTE-5A INDEPENDENCE would not match-up well against top six IMHO! Blue Cross Bowl Ranking1. MARYVILLE 4A (NO BRAINER-RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELf)2. DAVID LIPSCOMB 3A3. MAPLEWOOD 4A4. ALCOA 2A (Rankin is the x-factor)5. SMYRNA 5A6. FULTON 3A7. Remainder are good teams! (No particular order)NOTE-5A INDEPENDENCE would not match-up well against top six IMHO!Blue Cross Bowl Ranking1. MARYVILLE 4A (NO BRAINER-RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELf)2. DAVID LIPSCOMB 3A3. MAPLEWOOD 4A4. ALCOA 2A (Rankin is the x-factor)5. SMYRNA 5A6. FULTON 3A7. Remainder are good teams! (No particular order)NOTE-5A INDEPENDENCE would not match-up well against top six IMHO!

You really think Lipscomb is better that Alcoa and Smyrna, Alcoa blew out the team that gave Lipscomb its only loss.

Lipscomb beat a Fulton team that was not nearly as good as they have have been, very young offensive line, even with Fultons mistakes and them being undisciplined at times they still had a chance to win it. Lipscomb at best is the 5th or 6th best team that was down there this weekend.

First of all I dont smoke. Secondly IF Fulton doesnt make all those mistakes they win. THAT is laughable Lipscomb did not play a perfect game by any means. Towards the end of the Second Quarter if the QB doesnt under throw Rogers Lipscomb takes control. Also the Fulton Turnovers where all forced, they hit Cobb and he fumbled, Rogers made an amazing break on the ball for his first pick on his second pick he intelligently stayed at home on a well called but poorly executed trick play. The other interception was the LB breaking on the football. Lipscomb forced those mistakes and made the big plays to win the game. Even on the punt snap they still had to drive it in and score. DL earned every beat of the victory by being more disciplined and making big plays including a 47 yard TD Run. Alos before your post you obviously did not read my comments. I think Alcoa could beat Lipscomb and Lipscomb could beat Alcoa or South Pitt could beat Alcoa. Any of those teams could beat each other with one exception Mckenzie. Lipscomb has beat Alcoa and Alcoa has beat Lipscomb. In one of the games DL was up 49-0 at half on Alcoa on their home field. DL's program doesnt change and neither does the type of players it has that is why I think DL could beat Alcoa even though they are loaded and well coached. By the way in HS football its not how you start its how you finish. Lipscomb did lose in overtime to Goodpasture but it was week three in the season. Lipscomb actually turned the corner and improved as a result of that loss. This thread is starting to sound like a BCS discussion.

I think Lipscomb has a great team but I don't think they are better than Alcoa, Maple wood or Symrna.

But it is just an opinion no nobody knows for sure. As far as Lipscomb being the best coached team in the state I think George Quarles might have something to say about that. DL beat Alcoa 4 years ago with 6 sophomores starting, that same same year Oliver Springs beat them to , So What.