Smyrna vs Maryville

JDC

MBA won with first stringers, but riverdales 2nd and 3rd stringers whipped MBA's 2nd and 3rds.

Scrimmages don't count for anything. MBA scrimmaged Riverdale at the end of the 1st week of 2 a days. At the end of the first week MBA didn't have their complete offensive package in. Different coachs approach these things differently. None that I know of game plan for them, but some play more to win, and others use them as an opportunity to expose their players to things they can't simulate in practice...game speed etc. I don't know how the current coach at Riverdale approaches these things, but I know Gary Rankin went all out to win. Preston Bailey went out early in that scrimmage and missed the rest of fall practice. Waddey didn't play at all.

When we scrimmaged Smyrna, Sonny Gray wasn't there (I was disappointed, I was looking forward to seeing him), he was at a baseball tournament somewhere, and we were holding players out as well.

Having said all of that. I think the game would be MBA and Maryville. MBA is bigger and stronger and Maryville would have a difficult time slowing down the running game and getting their offense back on the field. Defensively the Big Red would have to keep a lot of pressure on the QB, because that big tight end of Maryville's creates a match up problem for most any secondary.

MBA beat BA twice, BA beat Smyrna (whine all you want about BA getting lucky, but the game was at Smryna and you had your chances) and Independence, and MBA beat Independence. MBA and Maryville would be the game. Unfortunately we won't see it this year, but it would be a blast.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smyrna would be Maryville just because Smyrna is more physical. I don't think Maryville hsa anyone that could hang with Rod. I saw Maryville play in the state championship and although they won i wasnt really impressed with them.

I'm sure you were totally unbiased too .... Maryville just can't seem to win in these " Imaginary " games . /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I guess Wilson Central proved who really was invincible... NOT RIVERDALELast two years in the play offs SMYRNA 10-0 INVINCIBLE two rings while Riverdale watches on t.v

Riverdale has watched the 5-A Championship on TV 3 years in a row, not just 2. Oak Ridge beat them in 2005 and their coach became so depressed he left the school. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Soon Maryville will be a 5-A and if their coach doesn't leave to become a college coach somewhere I think Maryville will be beating a lot of 5-A teams!

Yea DII recuits...wow never heard that before, but public schools came get a kids parent a job in the zoning area so they can go to school there. Also MBA is a lot better than in the scrimmages.

If you think MBA physically beat us then you did not watch the scrimmage, their varsity beat us 7-0 and we turned the ball over 6 times to their none. Yall may not not have had Bailey but we did not have Sonny Gray or Bryson. If we were to play again i honestly beleive MBa is better than us, not "they would physically dominate us" better than us.

Maryville would have THUMPED Smyrna last year. This year it would be hard to say. I would never pick against a George Quarels coached team though. Maryville was not the most talented team in the state this year. I would venture to say there was a minimum of 10 teams in the state that had better talent then Maryville including Maplewood.

I agree maryville teams in the past were way stronger and bigger also but i believe it would have been close this year

Smyrna would be Maryville just because Smyrna is more physical. I don't think Maryville hsa anyone that could hang with Rod. I saw Maryville play in the state championship and although they won i wasnt really impressed with them.

There have been a lot of teams inthe past 10 years that had a player that "Maryville couldn't hang with" but some how they always seemed to put 11 on the field that could hang with anybody! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

There have been a lot of teams inthe past 10 years that had a player that "Maryville couldn't hang with" but some how they always seemed to put 11 on the field that could hang with anybody! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Right on the money matback.

Here are some studs Maryville has played against.

Jason Witten

Shaun Witten

Brandon Warren

Dustin Lindsey

Rae Sykes

Randall Cobb

Kyrus Lankster

Brian Sommer

Lee Smith

Zane Bruin

John Bruin JR

Baron Huber

Cassen Jackson

Gerald Riggs

Walter Fisher

Graig Cooper

Michael Carter

Chris Russell

Joe Sanders

Terrence Houston

Josh Bullocks

Daniel Bullocks

Cory Hall

All those guys are either playing D1 Football or have played D1 Football. Some of them are playing in the NFL now. 1 thing these guys have in common? They never beat Maryville.

If Maryville would have played Smyrna, they would've lost, if they played in the play-offs that is lol.

Sonny + Rod was just something too special to lose their Senior year, and they have an amazing connection. Combo that with a TON of great players at Smyrna, probably the best team in the state. I'm sorry that will never know, but I know for a fact that Smyrna is #1 and if they would've played MBA and Maryville in the play-offs for a Tournament of the #1 teams, Smyrna would win it all. Those 2 are something special, and all those players you listed NEVER had a connection like Wilks and Gray have, keep that in mind.