Best Alcoa Team of All-Time

alcoa06

This is a hot topic amongst many Alcoa fans and former players, and there is a lot of pride in your own team. I know I have personally aruged with members of the 2000 team about who was better, the 2000 team or the 2005 team. But then again as a freshman Coach Dalton told us all about his 1989 team, and also about the 3-peat champions of the 1970's. So I want to hear from all former Alcoa players/fans, and also Maryville because they have seen these same teams every year also, about who really is the best Alcoa team ever....

I personally believe its the 2005 team because of the great talent, and most importantly the depth of the team.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played on the 70's teams, but It has long been my contention that the 89 team was the best to come through Alcoa. And even with the great teams that have played in the millennium I haven't changed my mind...

The 1989 AA State Champions- big, strong, fast...loaded with D1 caliber and placed two in the NFL /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

There has only been 2 state champion Alcoa teams to beat Maryville and go 15-0 and that was 89 and 00. I played on the 2000 team and we were a very fast and smart but not very big. The 89 team was big, fast, and smart, They'd have to be the best team I've seen, but the 00 team could match their speed. The reason I don't put the 05 team on the list is because they went 14-1 and they're secondary couldnt match up with with the 89 or 00 teams. And the 89 team was ranked 24th in the espn/usatoday national poll!

There has only been 2 state champion Alcoa teams to beat Maryville and go 15-0 and that was 89 and 00. I played on the 2000 team and we were a very fast and smart but not very big. The 89 team was big, fast, and smart, They'd have to be the best team I've seen, but the 00 team could match their speed. The reason I don't put the 05 team on the list is because they went 14-1 and they're secondary couldnt match up with with the 89 or 00 teams. And the 89 team was ranked 24th in the espn/usatoday national poll!

Would u happen to know where i could find that poll?

I remember watching them in '89 against Brentwood Academy in the Clinic Bowl, and that was indeed the best Alcoa team ever. That team was so fast.

There is no question about it. I take the 89 team everyday of the week. The 79 team was also a beast. Top 5 89, 05, 79, 00, 06. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Stars, I believe it was 28 to 21 with Maryville scoring twice in the fourth quarter. I getting old and I could be wrong.

Clint, were all getting older, /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> went back to check the score and it was 21-14.

I remember Casteel of all people, caught a bomb from Irwin on Maryville's first possession and it was a dogfight the rest of the way.

Kokie, Dutchy, Sam and the rest were a handfull for anybody and as I remember Alcoa breezed the rest of the way.