Tradition Gone Down the Drain...

ORcat14

we won a National Championship in '58 and beat two teams with players who went on to win the Heisman Trophey.

WOW!!!!!!!!! Who gives a hairy nipple about 1958? You couldnt even use your hands to block in those days & the single wing was the IN thing haha. The people that played on that team cant even use the internet efficiently. When I said you guys were living in the past I did not know that you were living 50 years ago. Sounds like Bama wishing that the Bear was still here. Well he is dead, get over it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!!!!!!!!! Who gives a hairy nipple about 1958? You couldnt even use your hands to block in those days & the single wing was the IN thing haha. The people that played on that team cant even use the internet efficiently. When I said you guys were living in the past I did not know that you were living 50 years ago. Sounds like Bama wishing that the Bear was still here. Well he is dead, get over it.

You sound like a 3rd grade kid posting , yet you claim to have coached for 15 yrs , and are currently affiliated with a 5A team ...... why don't you let everyone know where you're coaching at ? I bet the parents would be interested in the maturity level of their coaches .

Tradition is a strange thing. Unfortunately a National Championship is far removed from Tn as we do not have the press to push for it like in states like Fla, Calif or Texas. While I know Oak Ridge does not expect it (National Championship) they do have the right to expect MUCH better than they have been getting. The ONE school in Tn that has a chance is Maryville, and rightfully so.

Not wanting to sink lower is NOT an unreasonable request from their fans. The same can be said about schools like DB and R'dale, but unfortunately that seems to be the way they are headed.

No, we do NOT have Bear Bryant around anymore, but his work ethic and drive for perfection is still around in some schools. Those work ethic ideas are timeless.

I am a fan of a 5A program because I have a relative playing there. I just get tired of hearing people blame coaches & cry about an 8 win season especially after rebounding from a disappointing 5-5 year. Looks like improvement IMO so now you can raise the bar a little next year. National Titles dont mean anything it means you get alot of press coverage it is not decided on the field.

I am a fan of a 5A program because I have a relative playing there. I just get tired of hearing people blame coaches & cry about an 8 win season especially after rebounding from a disappointing 5-5 year. Looks like improvement IMO so now you can raise the bar a little next year. National Titles dont mean anything it means you get alot of press coverage it is not decided on the field.

Its not just the fact that we went 8-4 its all the behind the scenes actions that most Oak Ridgers are upset about and its the fact that the players can do whatever they want and get away with it. The fact that Coach Stevens has had multiple altercations with both players and other coaches is unacceptable. As for the National Championships I would challenge the team that you are a fan of to player an AP Top 25 high school team. Why not Maryville they are in your backyard. I'm positive they would mop up the field with your best team in the last decade.

You have NO clue as to what is going on, as far as the situation at Oak Ridge behind the scenes, so your posts come across as uninformed and basically stupid, and Jet Pride has nothing else to post about, because the Cumberland County football program is in the dumps! Stick to your own programs, and leave Oak Ridge to Oak Ridgers!

At least the Oak Ridge Superintendants previous decisions, current apathy and lack of concern for OR football and it??™s coaching staff hasn??™t gotten anyone killed yet like his decision and support to eliminate buses within a mile of all schools did. It appears from the paper that his decisions are now being questioned on several fronts and a rally could be underway to eliminate him. Maybe the new superintendent will have a better handle on the community??™s wants and needs.

Ole Dad

Can we get an AMEN?

At least the Oak Ridge Superintendants previous decisions, current apathy and lack of concern for OR football and it??™s coaching staff hasn??™t gotten anyone killed yet like his decision and support to eliminate buses within a mile of all schools did. It appears from the paper that his decisions are now being questioned on several fronts and a rally could be underway to eliminate him. Maybe the new superintendent will have a better handle on the community??™s wants and needs.

Ole Dad

Bailey is nothing like Mr. Helton was. Mr. Helton knew how to please just about everybody. At that time Oak Ridge was consistantly ranked in the top 100 schools in the nation and since his departure we have not been. Seems a little strange to me. Also Mr. Helton would be seen at just about any sporting event at any given point in the school year. How is it that Bailey only shows up to one or two games of each sport. Same position, same duties, different results.

Ole Dad

I agree that their are many deficiencies in the OR football program. I'm not sure that all of them are attributable to the head coach. For example, last year when the quarterback broke his thumb courtesy of the asst. coach. I think they would have had a much better season had that not happened. I imagine that really messed things up, college-wise for the QB. But, as a whole, it doesn't appear that the team is operating well as a unit.

I don't understand why you pick a selection committee and then totally disregard their recommendation, like they did when Stevens was hired. By not using the committee's recommendation and going with somebody else, sets up a situation where people want him to fail because he wasn't their pick.

As far as the superintendant, he seems to be disregarding the community on a couple of fronts. I can't figure out why people aren't just freaking out about this walk zone issue. I can't believe that he hasn't totally reinstated bus service to everyone. What are they waiting for, someone else to get killed?

The issue of the loss of a young promising life cannot be laid at the feet of the school board or the superintendent. That event was a tragic accident period. Where the student was killed was not the path to or from her home, the student was not acting recklessly, nor was the bus driver. The student fell off her bike, from a sidewalk, and was thrown under the bus, a tragic accident, but an accident none the less. Had there even been bus service to her residence at the time does not guarantee she would have been on a bus anyway. Losing a child is the hardest thing any parent can endure and does not deserve to have the issue bought into arguments such as this. Making irresponsible comments about this event to try to give support to your dislike of either the board or the superintendent is wrong. You may not like the coach, the board, or the superintendent, but using this as part of your argument is at the very least poor judgement. I support your ability to criticize any one you wish, but do so in a sane, intelligent, manner.

The issue of the loss of a young promising life cannot be laid at the feet of the school board or the superintendent. That event was a tragic accident period. Where the student was killed was not the path to or from her home, the student was not acting recklessly, nor was the bus driver. The student fell off her bike, from a sidewalk, and was thrown under the bus, a tragic accident, but an accident none the less. Had there even been bus service to her residence at the time does not guarantee she would have been on a bus anyway. Losing a child is the hardest thing any parent can endure and does not deserve to have the issue bought into arguments such as this. Making irresponsible comments about this event to try to give support to your dislike of either the board or the superintendent is wrong. You may not like the coach, the board, or the superintendent, but using this as part of your argument is at the very least poor judgement. I support your ability to criticize any one you wish, but do so in a sane, intelligent, manner.

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on this one. The reference to the accident was in response to the post above me about it and I was pointing out that the admin. has not responsive to the public on several things. The bus service issue is obviously in my mind the most critical and urgent.