Midstate top 10 comes out monday!

Jim Harrick

"CPA got waxed in their three losses..."??????

Are you serious? These losses have all been out of state games, two of them in the tournament in GA against 4 and 5A schools with 2 injured starters. Get the facts before you start in on CPA about these losses. They are still un-beaten in the state of TN and hopefully it will stay that way. Its not an un-realistic senario! They are gonna have to fight hard for every win...and they are definetly prepared to do so thanks to the great coaching staff. David Anderson will play despite the injury, but he's not 100% and that will change the dynamic of their game some. I will give this, the bench isn't where is needs to be, but as the season has gone on they have started to really step up and will continue to do so. I think you need to come see CPA play...they will show you how wrong you really are!

Just a note:

2006-2007 CPA enrollment- 310

Enrollment of 3 teams CPA has lost to:

Mason County (Ky.)- 867

South Gwinnett (Ga)- 2,524

Chattahoochee (Ga)- 2,061

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think enrollment comparisions only make the point for those that holler 'recruiting' matt610. I'd rather call it 'attracting', which is perfectly legal for private schools, magnet schools and open zoned publics that don't have to adhere to a boundary. Shoot, it applies to closed zone schools that have a history of accepting transfers and relocated parents. As well, basketball teams only play with 5 on the floor at a time. If one or two of those are outstanding players, enrollment numbers don't mean much. Larger schools only have a bigger athletic base from which to draw from, not necessarily a better athletic base. All that means is over time, those with a bigger base should be able to more consistently put a competitive team on the floor. One guy can make a huge difference in basketball. Reference Hoosiers for an example.

Wonder how many students Oak Hill Academy has?

"CPA got waxed in their three losses..."??????Are you serious? These losses have all been out of state games, two of them in the tournament in GA against 4 and 5A schools with 2 injured starters. Get the facts before you start in on CPA about these losses. They are still un-beaten in the state of TN and hopefully it will stay that way. Its not an un-realistic senario! They are gonna have to fight hard for every win...and they are definetly prepared to do so thanks to the great coaching staff. David Anderson will play despite the injury, but he's not 100% and that will change the dynamic of their game some. I will give this, the bench isn't where is needs to be, but as the season has gone on they have started to really step up and will continue to do so. I think you need to come see CPA play...they will show you how wrong you really are!

You obviously did not read the post correctly. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I think enrollment comparisions only make the point for those that holler 'recruiting' matt610. I'd rather call it 'attracting', which is perfectly legal for private schools, magnet schools and open zoned publics that don't have to adhere to a boundary. Shoot, it applies to closed zone schools that have a history of accepting transfers and relocated parents. As well, basketball teams only play with 5 on the floor at a time. If one or two of those are outstanding players, enrollment numbers don't mean much. Larger schools only have a bigger athletic base from which to draw from, not necessarily a better athletic base. All that means is over time, those with a bigger base should be able to more consistently put a competitive team on the floor. One guy can make a huge difference in basketball. Reference Hoosiers for an example.Wonder how many students Oak Hill Academy has?

A VOICE OF REASON ARISES OUT OF THE MIST! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I checked into it..... They have approx. 100 students total 98% boarding. 8-10 students per class.

Oak Hill Academy obviously doesn't apply to the normal ratio of- total enrollment:NBA draftees.

The only point I was trying to make is that the schools that CPA lost to are MUCH LARGER than CPA and IN GERNERAL that means they are better... thats why we have classifications, right?

Oak Hill Academy obviously doesn't apply to the normal ratio of- total enrollment:NBA draftees.

The only point I was trying to make is that the schools that CPA lost to are MUCH LARGER than CPA and IN GERNERAL that means they are better... thats why we have classifications, right?

Oak Hill just 'attracts' more NBA draftees than the average school. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Enrollment numbers are the TSSAA's dividing lines and I think they make sense on a long term point of view. Short term, one or two very good players can make a smaller school more competitive. Look at Culleoka. Historically they've never been a threat in their district. Right now, they are one of the better 1A teams in the state and can compete with much bigger schools because of a DI talent and a pretty good supporting cast. I wouldn't project that success out over the next 3 or 4 years though being as how they are in a closed zone. Technically, any school in the state can be successful short term if the talent level is there over any sized school. I just don't think the smaller schools can sustain that level of success.

The athlete to student ration at CPA and other private schools is MUCH larger than any public school no matter what classification you are talking about. So it really doesn't matter how many "total" students CPA has in the school, as is the case with Oak Hill Academy. This is why IMHO privates should be put in one classification and publics another but they have a board on here to argue that point so i won't go into it. However take CPA and put them against teams like Brentwood Aca. and they wouldn't do so well year in and year out. Go play the Oak Hill teams and schools like that and then maybe you can have an idea of what a small public school faces when they come to play CPA. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Its a no win situation when you start talking Privates -vs- Public. I will say this do you think when the Shelbyville girls program won over 100 games in a row and many state champions, Maryville and Alcoa each about 4 in a row, do you actually think all their athletes are home grown. Bottom line to me is Winning programs attract athletes.

I would guess White County ran into similar circumstances that CPA ran into when playing outside your home state. You just don't get to play on a level playing field. The officiating was so biased it was an absolute disgrace. In the Deep South Classic that CPA participated in, in Atlanta Georgia, there were 16 teams, 12 from Georgia and 4 from out of state. The non Georgia teams won 2 (two) games against Georgia teams out of 12 games. Z Mason for CPA played less than half the games in the three games CPA played. In one game Z was called for two fouls in the first 3 minutes of the game. He sat out till mid way through the second quarter and no lie came in and was called for his third foul 5 seconds after entering the game. This isn't sour grapes, it is what it is and when the officiating is biased it handcuffs the team on the wrong end of it.

Oak Hill just 'attracts' more NBA draftees than the average school. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Enrollment numbers are the TSSAA's dividing lines and I think they make sense on a long term point of view. Short term, one or two very good players can make a smaller school more competitive. Look at Culleoka. Historically they've never been a threat in their district. Right now, they are one of the better 1A teams in the state and can compete with much bigger schools because of a DI talent and a pretty good supporting cast. I wouldn't project that success out over the next 3 or 4 years though being as how they are in a closed zone. Technically, any school in the state can be successful short term if the talent level is there over any sized school. I just don't think the smaller schools can sustain that level of success.

i agree with what your saying nearly 100%...but when casey and kevin holt were here culleoka had a big chance to do big things in A ball...we ALWAYS choked in the region though...and it was very hard to watch

i agree with what your saying nearly 100%...but when casey and kevin holt were here culleoka had a big chance to do big things in A ball...we ALWAYS choked in the region though...and it was very hard to watch

Sure, every now and then. But compared to the 20 something district banners hanging in the Lion's Den at CHS, the success hasn't been as consistent. Columbia Central has a big athletic base and a basketball tradition to draw from. Smaller schools with boundaries have a tougher time of it. I'm glad for Cully to get some positive publicity of late.

As far as the Shelbyville comment, Tiffany Woosley lived in Moore County when she played at Shelbyville and there's been a pretty good pipeline of 'attracted' talent that's played there over the years. Heck the big post last year played for Spring Hill, Columbia Central and Shelbyville in one high school career. There's something patently wrong with that.