Getting less with more

Govolsknox

Having closely watched the OR program for a little over 20 years, I have a couple of observations. When the current coach was hired, I wanted so much for him to be successful for a lot of reasons. An Oak Ridge guy who had success at AE and came back home, what a great story that would make. I have been very dissappointed. Others have spoken to the off the field issues so I will stick to the on the field performance.

If you follow a program closely, you get a feel for the talent level of the team as compared with other seasons. I realize a lot of people outside the program and casual observers of the program will look at 8-2 in the regular season and feel like anyone complaining is unrealistic in their expectations. But if you look closely, I think what myself and a lot of OR fans are upset about (in part) is what the current coach is getting out of what ever level of talent he has to work with. My concerns started preseason. I was at all of the scrimmages. IMO, we were not as good in those scrimmages as Alcoa, Maryville, Anderson County, Blackman, Cookeville, or Bearden. But the level of talent on our team was the best it has been in a long time. Big, talented offensive and defensive line. The best wide receiver tandem we have had in many, many years. An extremely talented, big armed quarterback along with a very athletic quarterback who started last year. Stephens in the backfield, almost unstoppable if we are 2 dimensional and don't allow teams to focus only on the run. A big, sure handed tight end plus another tight end that played a lot last year and showed great potential. A fast, talented secondary.

This years team had talent on par with the 1991 state championship team and the 1996 team with Bohanon, Gipson, and McCadley. Every year's team and talent are not equal. Getting these results out of some years' talent might have been fine, but not with this years team. Farragut and William Blount were good teams; the best they've had in many years. But they totally dominated OR. OR had the talent to play with those teams. Even if they didn't win, it should have been a competitive ballgame. Our current coach has so much talent that he can take the team to games against far inferior talent and look good. But when they are faced with a very good 5A team, OR is exposed.

Last year's team may not have been a state championship caliber team, but I doubt there are many OR fans who really follow the program closely who would argue that they were not substantially better than their 5-5 record.

The year Stevens went to the state champ game, he had a great season. But we had been watching this team led by the 2 Gulmires building for a couple of years. Like the 91 and the 96 teams, you could see a year or two before that they were going to be contenders in the coming season. Stevens was horribly unprepared for the champ game. I only recently learned he didn't get film from the 2 teams that beat Ravenwood. What was astounding to me was that Ravenwood only did 2 things on offense, and that Stevens had no idea how to make changes during the game to force them to do something else. He came in with a game plan and when it didn't work, he had no ability to adapt during the game.

I realize there will be many OR fans who don't like my comments, but as I understand it, this is a forum to discuss opinions about our programs. I am very dissappointed in Stevens' results so far. What is worse, is that normally if you looked at the talent of the team we should have next year I would be very optimistic. But given what I have seen, I honestly have no confidence that Stevens can get results on par with the talent he has to work with.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having closely watched the OR program for a little over 20 years, I have a couple of observations. When the current coach was hired, I wanted so much for him to be successful for a lot of reasons. An Oak Ridge guy who had success at AE and came back home, what a great story that would make. I have been very dissappointed. Others have spoken to the off the field issues so I will stick to the on the field performance.

If you follow a program closely, you get a feel for the talent level of the team as compared with other seasons. I realize a lot of people outside the program and casual observers of the program will look at 8-2 in the regular season and feel like anyone complaining is unrealistic in their expectations. But if you look closely, I think what myself and a lot of OR fans are upset about (in part) is what the current coach is getting out of what ever level of talent he has to work with. My concerns started preseason. I was at all of the scrimmages. IMO, we were not as good in those scrimmages as Alcoa, Maryville, Anderson County, Blackman, Cookeville, or Bearden. But the level of talent on our team was the best it has been in a long time. Big, talented offensive and defensive line. The best wide receiver tandem we have had in many, many years. An extremely talented, big armed quarterback along with a very athletic quarterback who started last year. Stephens in the backfield, almost unstoppable if we are 2 dimensional and don't allow teams to focus only on the run. A big, sure handed tight end plus another tight end that played a lot last year and showed great potential. A fast, talented secondary.

This years team had talent on par with the 1991 state championship team and the 1996 team with Bohanon, Gipson, and McCadley. Every year's team and talent are not equal. Getting these results out of some years' talent might have been fine, but not with this years team. Farragut and William Blount were good teams; the best they've had in many years. But they totally dominated OR. OR had the talent to play with those teams. Even if they didn't win, it should have been a competitive ballgame. Our current coach has so much talent that he can take the team to games against far inferior talent and look good. But when they are faced with a very good 5A team, OR is exposed.

Last year's team may not have been a state championship caliber team, but I doubt there are many OR fans who really follow the program closely who would argue that they were not substantially better than their 5-5 record.

The year Stevens went to the state champ game, he had a great season. But we had been watching this team led by the 2 Gulmires building for a couple of years. Like the 91 and the 96 teams, you could see a year or two before that they were going to be contenders in the coming season. Stevens was horribly unprepared for the champ game. I only recently learned he didn't get film from the 2 teams that beat Ravenwood. What was astounding to me was that Ravenwood only did 2 things on offense, and that Stevens had no idea how to make changes during the game to force them to do something else. He came in with a game plan and when it didn't work, he had no ability to adapt during the game.

I realize there will be many OR fans who don't like my comments, but as I understand it, this is a forum to discuss opinions about our programs. I am very dissappointed in Stevens' results so far. What is worse, is that normally if you looked at the talent of the team we should have next year I would be very optimistic. But given what I have seen, I honestly have no confidence that Stevens can get results on par with the talent he has to work with.

oh no, another oak ridge thread /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

oh no, another oak ridge thread /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Actually it is a very good thread as it is well thought out and explained to the point without bashing anyone for no good reason.

I can understand his frustration having watched the lack of success that Riverdale has had this last two seasons in the playoffs. This years R'dale team 'should' have gone all the way to the gold ball game. Should have, would have, and the like does not cut it, but that is what we have had these last two seasons. Maybe it is just my view but there you have it. I do know that there is alot of folks around the Boro that are asking the same questions though about R'dale.

Personally I like Coach A and his style of coaching, but I will say openly I do NOT like the NO pass WingT. If that makes folks mad, I am sorry but it is how I honestly feel. I not only will say it here I would say it to Coach A face as well. He probably disagrees with my opinion and that is alright also as that is his opinion and he is entitled to it.

Thing both schools have to ask themselves is what level of success are they willing to accept. If it is the current level then they need to come out and say so. If not then some changes need to be made by the administration. Maybe not a change of Coaches per se, but a 'counseling session' does need to be done and let the Coaches know what level of success needs to be achieved.

From an outside view, it is unusual to see the "drop-off" of both programs. The coaching changes are the only constant reason one can point to.

LOD, the Administration at Riverdale knew exactly what they were getting for an offense when they hired Coach A. You can't order chicken and then be surprised it isn't steak. One would think that a coach would look at his talent and develop an offense that best suits that talent. Clearly, Coach A has been of the mindset that he chooses to ignore some of the talent, and develop others. That is, IMO, his failing. You only have to look at Hillsboro with a new coach coming in who wanted to throw the ball around more. Did a couple of QB's and WR's just drop out of the sky to make it work? No, they were already there.

I'd say in a multiple guess situation that the answer would be C both of the above! Nobody knows what is happening and as time goes by I think a lot more people will get to the point that they just don't care. After the Christmas break the administration has to make a statement for or against the coach in order to have any support next year.

I understand that some OR citizens are seeking legal advice to proceed with action against Bailey, Green, Carringer and The School Board should they chose to extend tenure to Coach Stevens with a written reprimand in his file, based on past precedent and policy. It will be interesting come April.

Ole Dad

I'd say in a multiple guess situation that the answer would be C both of the above! Nobody knows what is happening and as time goes by I think a lot more people will get to the point that they just don't care. After the Christmas break the administration has to make a statement for or against the coach in order to have any support next year.

Boy Dad you sure got that pepvol's panties in a wad!! He just doesn't have a clue does he? Must be young and tender, sure has thin skin that's for sure. Everyone knows all Oak Ridge fans pull for Maryville except when they play(scrimmage) Oak Ridge. Let em stay in 4A, if our town keeps shrinking we may have to drop down into 4A then they can give us a real Tenn dog whoppin.Then they can brag about it! Everybody knows scrimmages don't count.

It's like pullin for Bama cept when they play the Big Orange!

Boy Dad you sure got that pepvol's panties in a wad!! He just doesn't have a clue does he? Must be young and tender, sure has thin skin that's for sure. Everyone knows all Oak Ridge fans pull for Maryville except when they play(scrimmage) Oak Ridge. Let em stay in 4A, if our town keeps shrinking we may have to drop down into 4A then they can give us a real Tenn dog whoppin.Then they can brag about it! Everybody knows scrimmages don't count.

It's like pullin for Bama cept when they play the Big Orange!

Panties in a wad ... good one bounder !! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Speaking of thin skin and panties , how are things going in the atomic land with your Head coach / field security guard ? Aw come on Hitch , I'm just a joking with ya !! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Be careful, rumors are that Stevens got a Taser for Christmas and the new battle cry for opposing teams when playing at OR is "Don't Tase me Bro!

I understand that Bailey, Green, Mullins and Carringer are conssidering a new budget cutting measure at home football games and dressing the coaches in security uniforms and thus having a dual role staff. Security Guards with a little coaching on the side.

Ole Dad

Panties in a wad ... good one bounder !! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Speaking of thin skin and panties , how are things going in the atomic land with your Head coach / field security guard ? Aw come on Hitch , I'm just a joking with ya !! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Sorry pep, but, bounder is not Hitch! Another one of your posts concerning Oak Ridge that your off the mark on.

I will give you a clue though, look for a RV with bounder on it, and you'll find your man. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I agree totally. It is obvious what should happen at OR. First of all the current head coach with years of experience should be fired for going 8-2 in the regular season. Second the school board should be strong armed by the locals to hire their hand picked replacement that will do no worse than 15-0 for his entire tenure as the new man in town. The only question now is who should the town folk select? The process should be taken seriously by all involved so as not to make another horrible hire. We need to take a look at the names of proven coaches that might take the job. I don't know about the rest of you, but my list is only one name long. govolsknox. If it doesn't work out at OR I hear they need some help at UT.