District 11 AA

putboobieincoach

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football season begins Thursday for CCCHS and I for one can't wait because the senior class is the same group that will have been on the field for three years once the ball is kicked off in late August.

As for baseball and the district tourney I will take Sycamore, Creek Wood, Waverly Central and Harpeth with Sycamore playing Creek Wood for the district title. I like the War Eagles to be district champs when the dust settles.

Fairview and Harpeth split a DH in Kingston Springs tonight. Fairview won the first game 13-11, which clinched them 4th place in the district. The 2nd game Harpeth won 10-0 behind a great pitching performance from Mangrum, who I thought should of pitched the 1st game so Harpeth would of had a chance to sweep the DH.

I agree Gerry. Ben Howell didn't have his best stuff yesterday and the defense let him down. Ben throws ground balls. That's the best Mangrum has looked this season. He typically struggles more with his control. Last night he struck out 11, walked 3 and gave up 3 hits. Had a perfect game after the first 4 innings. It was a good performance. It would have been interesting to see how flip flopping the pitching would have affected things.

There were several freshmen that saw playing time for both teams. That will bode well down the road.

Has anyone heard on how the Harpeth boys are doing at Columbia State?

Here's the TJCCAA site link. Corey Hale is hitting 446 with 7 homeruns which is 2nd in the state. Chris is 7th in the state with a 413 average and 5 homeruns. Cody Pomeroy was hitting close to 300 the last time I talked to him and Matt Fiser has looked really good on the mound at times. Columbia State hits the ball. They need some pitching help.

TJCCAA Site

i heard that at one point in time cory hale had like the 10th highest batting average in the nation.

does anyone know what time the play in games will be???

7:00 I think, but that needs to be confirmed.

All district is voted on today and rumor has it that the district coaches will vote on a different district tournament format which I think is a long time coming. This year brings out the fallacies in a play in format. Waverly's had a great season and could be eliminated in a play in game by a one pitcher team.

This is a no-brainer coaches. There's 8 teams in the district. It's tailor made for a double elimination tournament. You might play 2 days and then rest for 2 or 3 for pitching rest, but truly, you're going to have to have a #3 and a closer to go far in the post season anyway. I hate the single elimination portions of the post season. It gives a false sense of security to the one trick pony teams. The play in games and that stupid one game sectional game that's only there to eliminate half the field before state.

I agree there is a better format than a single elimination game to start with. I think some other districts with 8 teams have gone to a format like the college world series and the state tournament as followed:

1 vs 8 and 4 vs 5 game at the 1 seed home field the first night. this would be a double elimination where the 1/8 and 4/5 winners play and the losers play the next day, then an elimination game and the last two teams play to finish it out with an if necessary game if the winner bracket team loses.

at the same time 2 vs 7 and 3 vs 6 would play at the 2 seed home field. Same format as above.

the two teams that win each bracket would play a single game for the distrcit championship at the highest remaining seed home field.

there are so many different formats to use that not everyone will be happy. the teams with one great pitcher are always going to want a different format then the teams that have deep pitching staffs.

I think time is the critical thing with high school post seasons. We let everybody in the state have a post season shot via the district tournament, then play a region finals where you don't want to throw your best pitcher because the sectional is one and done. There are better ways and they might take longer or we could put more emphasis on the regular season and don't let everybody go to post season. I like everybody going. I just think we should play a double elimination district tournament, send the top 2 to from 4 districts to a regional site and play another double elimination tournament and send the winners to state. You go from everybody in your classification to 32 teams to 8 teams to state champion in 4 weeks.

With 3 double elimination tournaments and zero 'off the island' games, the teams with the deepest pitching staffs will probably win.

With the district post season officially starting today, lets here some predictions. I will make mine, but does any one know if there is an upset today, does the lowest remaining seed play the highest remaing seed on Friday or does the bracket stay set? I am making my predicitons on the highest seed playing the lowest seed.

Play In Games

1 Sycamore over 8 Cheatham (Cheatham eliminated)

7 Stewart Co. over 2 Waverly (Waverly eliminated)

6 MC over 3 Creek Wood (Creek Wood eliminated)

4 Fairview over 5 Harpeth (Harpeth eliminated)

1st Round

1 Sycamore over 7 Stewart Co

4 Fairview over 6 MC

2nd Round

1 Sycamore over 4 Fairview

7 Stewart Co. over 6 MC (MC eliminated)

3rd round

4 Fairview over 7 Stewart Co (Stewart Co. eliminated)

1 Sycamore over 4 Fairview

As you can see I am picking Sycamore to win it and Fairview to get the other region spot.