When a starter is benched

WoodenFan

This topic deals more with a starter losing their starting spot during the season. Do you think the coach should hold a starters spot if they miss a game due to an illness, illness in the family, other school function, etc.? The topic is not asking if a starter should be benched because someone else on the team has stepped up their play, but because they missed a game due to circumstances out of their control.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A player missed to go to a pageant last Friday night.

Seriously - A pageant? Sounds like the coach was being more than generous with allowing her to play at all.

Aren't parents just the BEST! That mean ole coach is picking on Suzy again!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

After reading these throughout the year is seems to me that Van Buren's girls are going through what Community's boys went through last year. Parents constantly complaining about the coaching. Except that your girls are the only team to beat Forrest in 2 and a half years in district competition and got to the region semis last year which are both good accomplishments. I've seen where at times you've been sporadic this year, but that happens from time to time. It looks like things are getting on track now. I hope your girls don't listen to the outside voices and tune in to the coaches for the remainder of your season because you are very talented. And most of all I hope your administration don't fold to the pressure (if it's being applied) like Community's did. Good luck to you except when you play us!! Go Champions!!!

I have been following the VB girls and boys teams all year. At times to say the least the girls have struggled. I have not been a supporter to all the choices that have been made. I asked a lot of questions last night as to what was going on......... My first question: please a pagent is a school function? I thought it was the county fair? Then I heard it was more than a game missed, it was several practices (even a practice that the pagent wasn't going on yet). There have been other starters throughout the year that have not started for reasons, someone had stepped up or whatever. I do know that some kids have been sick but still came to practice, that is a big difference in my opinion.

It is my opinion solely that if your child was the starter and missed and others stepped up they DESERVE to start the next game or until the chemistry is effected.

My question is if the player is still getting the playing time what does it matter who starts or finishes? Isn't a WIN a WIN??

SIMPLY AMAZING to me that at this point of a season that we have struggled and now we put up a copule of wins that it comes down to who is starting and who isn't. I am not sure the last time I checked but COME ONE........... What is the big deal about who starts or who doesn't? REALLY?????? I wish at this point coach wouldn't start any of the starters whose parents have these issues.

To answer your question more directly a pagent...............?????????????????? Over basketball??? Was it mandatory? Maybe you need to be happy your daughter even got to play at all. If I would have been a coach that girl wouldn't have played at all for missing two practices and a game. It wasn't school related. That is NOT a school function.

This team has struggled enough and although we can't all agree on every coaching decision this is one that I can't believe has been a question raised. Do you really think you can rally support for this cause? Why does it matter if she starts or not? She plays more than most of the girls on the team. Be happy that we are winning. Now you are trying to tear apart a run that we might be making.

It appeared to me that the TEAM had great attitudes last night. Even girl(S) (NOTE THE S) that were used to starting DIDN'T they kept a great positive attitude and that is why we came together as TEAM and beat them by 30! Now you get on here and make an issue, I am sure the GIRLS attitudes will change.

I HOPE VB Coach doesn't change a thing.....................................!!!!!!!!!!!! AND LET YOUR SARCASM WIN!!

I don't know the circumstances, don't care, but it is my opinion that if a player misses practice time during game preparation for any reason, they shouldn't expect to start in the next game. Injury, sickness, doctor's appointment, pageant, funeral, whatever. The absence from practice can be excused, but a starter shouldn't expect to have their starting spot waiting on them while teammates are filling in at practice to prepare for the next game.

That is what's wrong with Basketball these days MOST coaches do not want to change things or get some parents mad or the school board mad. Starters should be pick from practice who stepped up during practice now days the coaches picks 5 players and that is that even if they do not play or practice well the coaches do not sit them down and start other player because they do not want to make any family members mad. That is why certian programs are much better year in and year out becuase the coaches go who practices well and who do not. I feel for the players that do not start becsause in most casese it does not matter how well they practice they will never start.

I don't understand that philosophy. At times our boys starting lineup changed every game. It's not a birthright to be a starter. That is an earned position earned on the practice floor. Nothing else should matter.

I'd like to add that "Practice" is a key element in basketball. And I beg to differ that nothing else should "MATTER." Along with players who love the game and a COACH who cares about the atheletes and the SPORT!! All of us know great sports figures that barely made many days of school, because of working in the fields or streets to help support their families, but made ball practice when it counted. And on to play college ball, which paid for their education they wouldn't have had, if not for sports. I know a smiliar situation, the girl loves basketball, is an asset to the team and would be starting, but she has to work. She misses at least one practice a week, so of coarse, because she has to help her family, she may play 4 minutes a game. Her teamates know she has to work and would like her playing with them, they need her at times she's 6'. But the coach says no!! What happened to helping the kids. This girl, would get a scholarship somewhere if he would just let her play. PRACTICE---shouldn't be set in STONE only DEATHS!!!

This topic deals more with a starter losing their starting spot during the season. Do you think the coach should hold a starters spot if they miss a game due to an illness, illness in the family, other school function, etc.? The topic is not asking if a starter should be benched because someone else on the team has stepped up their play, but because they missed a game due to circumstances out of their control.

I see many opinions on here that I agree with and some I don't. Choices have to be made and most of the times they cost something. Loosing playing time, loosing starting positions and such. I would never bash a parent or player for making a decision like this. If I had a child playing basketball or a contestant in a padgent I hope they would do which ever they wanted not what I wanted them to do. But they will have to answer for the decision they made and move on. I don't see however if a player misses a practice or a game, due to an illness, death of a family member, or an injury they should be punished. You can tell the kids that are dedicated to the game and those out there just going through the motions if you are close to the team at all. With that OPINION stated and on another side, basketball has more than one player on the team and others are effected by a decision like this, so I can't question a coaches choice as to the punishment they deal out. I would have chosen basketball but I am not very pretty so it would be an easy decision for me.