9AA Tourney

CPA4Ever

Ahhh...another seemingly innocent post laced with CPA bashing undertones. Call it what you will, Drew Maddux and ALL the CPA players got it done this year.....so far. Another year will be just that....another year.

Again I am amused. I honestly don't know what you are talking about. #1 just explaining a system. #2 I have great respect for CPA and the year they have had, up to this point they had handled all challengers. And just because I don't agree with all the posts, doesn't make me a basher. My not thinking CPA is not a pressure defensive team doesn't mean I don't think they play good defense. Obviously they do since they are hard to score on, just not really a result of pressure defense.

Time to go Lakers beat the Suns and spoil Shaq's debut.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year had some unique variables to it. Coaches didn' t know in the pre-season how much impact Mason's return would have on CPA, he was an unknown. Even more so, MLK had a very slow start, Doc Shelton got sick, and the assistants and players had to rally around each other until Doc returned. After a very slow start, MLK won both the regular season and the district tournament championship. That was probably as much as an award given to recognize the entire coaching staff as it was as only recognizing the head coach as is usually the case.

Why not recognize CPA's entire coaching staff? They have been hugely important to CPA's success the last 2 years as well as Maddux.

manarms, you really need to quit using the "Mason impact" as being the only reason CPA is where they are. Obviously he is part of the puzzle. But it's really not all about him. CPA has the total package- players, coaches, and support- all vital for a successful program.

Mason is the best player in the district, but not by a mile like you seem to think. Adrian Williamson has a higher ppg average than Z. Don't forget about Kennedy, another great player as well. And also, you always fail to mention Hunter Miller who is arguably just as valuable to CPA as Mason.

And it is the offense's job to score. It's not against the rules to hold the ball in TSSAA, but it is BORING and was obviously not the intention when the rules were created. Basketball with no shot clock is like football with no downs. If a football team with no downs used DL's strategy, they would have gotten the opening kick, kneeled the ball 30 times, and then kicked a field. Would that be a fun game to watch? Sure it would be great strategy and not against the rules, but that is NOT HOW THE GAME WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED.

There is a reason that the NBA and NCAA have shot clocks...

Read the quote about half way down the page: http://www.snopes.com/sports/basketball/24second.asp

7 states in the US have a shot clock for high schools. TN should be the 8th.

Boring? Really? We're you bored last night at the game? If you we're you've got some serious attention deficit problems. Sure, the CPA fans chanted "boooorrrriiiinnnggg", but even that made the game more exciting. You can not like the strategy, but to say it was boring is nuts.

No, it's not like playing football without downs, because that isn't legal. Holding the ball is legal. Bad analogy. Try another one.

How can you say that's not how that game was meant to be played? It's not the way it normally is played today, granted, but a whole lot of basketball existed prior to the 24 second rule. And it didn't come into the college game in the 50's either. It was the 80s if I remember correctly. Coaches adapted because they had to. Do you even remember basketball before the 3 point shot and the 24 second clock? Different styles - yes. Boring - no.

Danny Biasone? Not exactly a household name when it comes to basketball. How about Dean Smith? Love him or hate him, he played by the rules and used the clock to his advantage.

Admit it - you hated the strategy. That's OK. A lot of DL fans hated it too. But, seriously, I don't know anyone who was bored.

And it is the offense's job to score. It's not against the rules to hold the ball in TSSAA, but it is BORING and was obviously not the intention when the rules were created. Basketball with no shot clock is like football with no downs. If a football team with no downs used DL's strategy, they would have gotten the opening kick, kneeled the ball 30 times, and then kicked a field. Would that be a fun game to watch? Sure it would be great strategy and not against the rules, but that is NOT HOW THE GAME WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYED.

Read the quote about half way down the page: http://www.snopes.com/sports/basketball/24second.asp

Didn't want to bring football into the discussion, but you did........so let see....I think David Lipscomb's State Championship win speaks for itself so......what else do you have to add.

Oh, let me add since you asked.....Of all of the schools that you choose to bash is David Lipscomb. They won

State in their division and they have a great basketball team and we don't know how far they will go. Can the rest of you Lipscomb H______ say the same. I don't think so, but let me know if you have a State Champion Football Team and A Regional Competitive Basketaball Team

Why not recognize CPA's entire coaching staff? They have been hugely important to CPA's success the last 2 years as well as Maddux.

manarms, you really need to quit using the "Mason impact" as being the only reason CPA is where they are. Obviously he is part of the puzzle. But it's really not all about him. CPA has the total package- players, coaches, and support- all vital for a successful program.

Mason is the best player in the district, but not by a mile like you seem to think. Adrian Williamson has a higher ppg average than Z. Don't forget about Kennedy, another great player as well. And also, you always fail to mention Hunter Miller who is arguably just as valuable to CPA as Mason.

I think you have missed the point of the uniqueness of MLK's situation last year due to Coach Shelton's missing a significant number of games due to illness. You also have supported my point on Mason's impact because all the other good players you mentioned are perimeter, Mason has no equal at his position this year.

I have mentioned the contributions of other CPA players at other times, but don't feel I have to keep mentioning if it is not the point I am trying to make on a particular post. I am starting to wonder what is going on over at CPA because the fans seem to have to talk constantly about the others. If the rest of us dont't talk about CPA's "great" starting five, "great" bench, "great" middle school players, "great" injured players and "great" coaching staff then we are labeled as bashers or negative against CPA. Ridiuclous! (I would go back and mention all the different names I have seen posted in reference to CPA, but that would take way too much time.)

Last time I looked their is only one true district MVP and everybody recognizes that and only one district 9AA player as a Mr. Basketball finalist, which doesn't happen all that often. Sorry, it really isn't all that hard to pass the ball into the post when it is to the biggest, most athletic guy on the floor who has good hands.

Hey, it's basketball. Not all players are created equal, not even at CPA, regardless of others contributions. It would be nice to see CPA fans accept the compliments given, even if it doesn't include every name associated with the program, instead of being labeled as a negative basher as has been the case of many CPA posts this year.

Didn't want to bring football into the discussion, but you did........so let see....I think David Lipscomb's State Championship win speaks for itself so......what else do you have to add.

Oh, let me add since you asked.....Of all of the schools that you choose to bash is David Lipscomb. They won

State in their division and they have a great basketball team and we don't know how far they will go. Can the rest of you Lipscomb H______ say the same. I don't think so, but let me know if you have a State Champion Football Team and A Regional Competitive Basketaball Team

This is the dumbest post I've seen.... he was using an analogy, not comparing football teams.

Couldn't agree more - a shot clock forces you to coach defense - But in Lipscombs defense - they played it within the rules and that was the way they thought they could win..... Any state basketball histoty buffs out there recall the last team to win the state by stalling?

I think it is hilarious that CPA fans are complaining about Lipscomb's stall.

The last time CPA won a district championship was in 1998 against the eventual state champs, Ezell Harding.

Guess what strategy Mike Ellson (former boys coach) used... THE STALL. The score was like 24 to 22 or something like that. The game was played at DCA.

Then, the next year, 1999, they used the stall again... Region quarterfinals they were the 4 seed. Davidson Academy was the 1 seed. CPA won in a barnburner... 19 to 17 or something like that.

Maddux, Mercer and Goodpasture got the stall put on them in 1994 in the state championship game against BGA.

The last time CPA won a district championship was in 1998 against the eventual state champs, Ezell Harding.

Guess what strategy Mike Ellson (former boys coach) used... THE STALL. The score was like 24 to 22 or something like that. The game was played at DCA.

Then, the next year, 1999, they used the stall again... Region quarterfinals they were the 4 seed. Davidson Academy was the 1 seed. CPA won in a barnburner... 19 to 17 or something like that.

Maddux, Mercer and Goodpasture got the stall put on them in 1994 in the state championship game against BGA.

lets not forget only 4 years ago they stalled against FRA in the Region Championship and of course Tackett let them.... those were the days of Sykes and House im sure they could of won regardless but no they used bum bum bum bum.... THE STALL

Ur right in regards to CPA stall - again like Lipscomb, within the rules - only chance CPA had to win. I was at the Goodpasture/BGA state tournament game - don't recall the stall though