TSSAA stinks at Seeding

ETNWrestlingFan

Just from looking at the first bit of seeding they have done, they do not even know how to seed. If you have five wrestlers that should be seeded then put them in the right darn place. How can they screw up? I have only looked at 119 and 125 and none of my wrestlers should be seeded but I feel sorry for the wrestlers that are seeded and get stuck wrestling a seeded wrestler in the first round. I am hoping they just screwed up.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just from looking at the first bit of seeding they have done, they do not even know how to seed. If you have five wrestlers that should be seeded then put them in the right darn place. How can they screw up? I have only looked at 119 and 125 and none of my wrestlers should be seeded but I feel sorry for the wrestlers that are seeded and get stuck wrestling a seeded wrestler in the first round. I am hoping they just screwed up.

I am with you, at 103, the top six wrestlers in the state will eliminate each other before the semis, #2 ranked Dustin Gardner gets an almost free pass to the semis(though this is the state tourney), #3 Josh Overmeyer has #4 Bryan Alvarado, #6 Wes Foutch, an undefeated Zach Shelton, and a very good Randol Ridley in his draw. #1 Ethan Hames has to contend with #5 Chris Soboun. While the bottom quarter is a cake walk. No disrespect to some of these guys, but there will be someone who places, that IMHO, should not be there.

Please try and remember that the TSSAA does not seed the state tournament. As you can see from the section of the handbook quoted below all they attempt to do is place / separate wrestlers. This is highly different from seeding. Great examples of where their rules come into play will be Jake Young. You must be a returning place winner as well as current region champion in order to be separated. Another example I can think of from a few years ago was Spike Rawn. Another from this year is Chris Livingston, he got caught in his Region finals and will not be separated even though he is a returning medalist. While I agree with many that this process is imperfect I don't think it is fair for anyone to come and scream that the TSSAA stinks at seeding because that is not what they were attempting to do... unfair criticism.

IV. STATE TOURNAMENT (Division I)

A. The state wrestling tournament shall be held the weekend of the third Saturday in February.

B. The draw for the state tournament shall be made by the Board of Control and shall be released after the completion of all regional wrestling tournaments.

C. Wrestlers who meet the qualification shall be placed in each weight division in the state tournament. In order to be placed, a wrestler must be a regional champion and must have been a state place finisher during his high school career. The criteria for placing shall be as follows:

1. Separate all state champions (includes state champions from other states).

2. The following criteria shall be used to separate state champions: (a) state champion at same weight, (B) state champion at higher weight, © state champion at lower weight. (If there are two state champions at the same weight the state champion from Tennessee will receive the higher seed.)

3. Follow the same procedure as #2 above for 2nd place from previous year, 3rd place from previous year, ??¦

4. Items #2 and #3 shall be applied in order to wrestlers who placed in the state tournament two years prior.

5. Blind draw.

I am with you, at 103, the top six wrestlers in the state will eliminate each other before the semis, #2 ranked Dustin Gardner gets an almost free pass to the semis(though this is the state tourney), #3 Josh Overmeyer has #4 Bryan Alvarado, #6 Wes Foutch, an undefeated Zach Shelton, and a very good Randol Ridley in his draw. #1 Ethan Hames has to contend with #5 Chris Soboun. While the bottom quarter is a cake walk. No disrespect to some of these guys, but there will be someone who places, that IMHO, should not be there.

Ok, It is on. My son is in that bottom quarter /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" . I'm going to contact a witch doctor to curse you with Stink Foot disease. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Go Beavers!!!!! the storm heads Southwest. Bring the rain Nick and Alex.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Ok, It is on. My son is in that bottom quarter /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" . I'm going to contact a witch doctor to curse you with Stink Foot disease. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

He's going to be tested out of the block but should have a chance to show his metal through the Piggy back side of state.

Goos luck.

Who has your son wrestled? That quarter is very weak, don't know your son, never seen him wrestle, better take advantage of a good draw.