Region 7AA Tournament

My brother coached the Jr. Pioneers boys team this year....that might give you a last name..

Yes, top 2 teams go to sub-state...runner-up goes to Memphis to play, winner hosts at home. Usually the teams from Memphis are horrible but Obion Co. ran into a Hillcrest team a couple of years ago with a Whitney Houston on their team and knocked Obion Co. out of the runnings for a state championship so you can't always take the Memphis teams for granted.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of last night Memphis district 15 and 16, region 8 looks like this.

Oakhaven 1

vs loser Treadwell/Trezevant

Hillcrest 3

vs loser BTW/Carver

BTW/Carver winner

vs Sheffield 4

Treadwell/Trezevant winner

vs Mitchell 2

Do not under estimate Mitchell, lost to Oakhaven without Div 1 player Andrea Holmes(Injured will be back). Hillcrest has Crystal Riley LSU signee. Oakhaven has Marie Jackson Louisville signee. Any of these 3 is as good as anyone in region 7AA. If I am not mistaken Riley was the state tournament MVP, when they defeated NSide 3 years ago. (W. Houston was also on that team.)

Looking at scores in 2008, in our area, as 07 is far gone and teams have changed to much, Mitchell beat Haywood 15. Hillcrest lost to NSide 13 @ NS.

So far I would say Hillcrest, Mitchell, Oakhaven & BTW are the best 4 teams in region 8.

These teams have 2 players as talented as anyone around our area on each team. In a one game do or go home situation, sometimes that is all you need, especially on your home court.

This Region 7AA tourney will have 4 of the top 10 AA teams in the state. It appears to me like Gibson County emerged from Saturday night as the biggest winner going into the Regional Tournament. By Fayette-Ware upsetting North Side and GC losing to OC, GC gets to dodge the other three top ten teams NS, Milan and Obion Central until the Region Championship game. No disrespect to FW or WV but from GC's perspective they got the best draw possible.

Looks like Gibson County got the best break, maybe the Technical on Saturday night was a blessing. If the other Heather is back, they are in great shape to get a sub-state birth. Fayette Ware will have real issues dealing with the discipline of GC, and the press will create several points. Never underestimate Rechis and Westview, but I am expecting GC in championship.

On the other side, too close to call. Three great teams in OC, Northside and Milan. The only advantage Milan has is that they only have to play one great game, where the other two have to play two great games.

The only thing I fear for Gibson Co. is how young we are. The only thing I fear for Fayette Ware is they haven't seen a team like Gibson Co. this year! I'm going to be curious if Fayette has seen a press as tough as what we put on. I've got a great feeling they haven't. The championship is not a lock for Gibson Co. We'll still have to go through Rechis and Westview or an always talented and athletic Covington team. Should be great!

The only thing I fear for Gibson Co. is how young we are. The only thing I fear for Fayette Ware is they haven't seen a team like Gibson Co. this year! I'm going to be curious if Fayette has seen a press as tough as what we put on. I've got a great feeling they haven't. The championship is not a lock for Gibson Co. We'll still have to go through Rechis and Westview or an always talented and athletic Covington team. Should be great!

Fayette will not come close to GC, could be 20 plus. The only non 13AA team that can make it is Northside.

My brother coached the Jr. Pioneers boys team this year....that might give you a last name..

Yes, top 2 teams go to sub-state...runner-up goes to Memphis to play, winner hosts at home. Usually the teams from Memphis are horrible but Obion Co. ran into a Hillcrest team a couple of years ago with a Whitney Houston on their team and knocked Obion Co. out of the runnings for a state championship so you can't always take the Memphis teams for granted.

We played the two years in a row....The first year we beat them and went on to state....The next year we got beat.....Both games were awesome....Hillcrest went on to make it to the state championship that year