Region 7AA Tournament

Here are the teams involved,pairings & records....Dates are according to T.S.S.A.A web-site...

Quarter-Final Games will played at the higher seeded school on Friday Nite Feb.22nd..........

D-13AA #1(24-4) Milan vs D-14AA #4(8-16) Haywood County

D-14AA #2(22-3) Jax N-S vs D-13AA #3(24-3) Obion County

D-14AA #1(14-11) Fayette Ware vs D13AA #4(23-5) Gibson County

D-13AA #2(20-10) Westview vs D-14AA #3(11-14) Covington

The four winners in the quarter-final round will gather at Haywood County High School on Mon. Nite Feb.25...

The Championship game will be played on Wednesday Nite Feb.27th..........

Sectional Games will be played Saturday Nite March 1st with games starting @ 7:00 PM....

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Region 7AA tourney will have 4 of the top 10 AA teams in the state. It appears to me like Gibson County emerged from Saturday night as the biggest winner going into the Regional Tournament. By Fayette-Ware upsetting North Side and GC losing to OC, GC gets to dodge the other three top ten teams NS, Milan and Obion Central until the Region Championship game. No disrespect to FW or WV but from GC's perspective they got the best draw possible.

Tightwad there is no real place to hide any more. NSHD did you leave any bag on the bench? You set Milan up!! HAywoooooooooooooooooood !! The pain, ohhhhhhhhhh the pain!!!!!Tightwad there is no real place to hide any more. NSHD did you leave any bags on the bench? You set Milan up!! HAywoooooooooooooooooood !! The pain, ohhhhhhhhhh the pain!!!!!

From the 14AA perspective you have to be thinking is this what we get as an award for finishing 1st & 2nd in our tournament??...The #1 and # 2 team in the state??

Gibson Co does appear to have the best shot at the Sectional round but Fayette Ware has beaten North Side the last two times they have played...Won't be easy going to Sommerville and pulling one out...I'm going with GC in a close one though...

Westview and Milan should roll...

The OC/Jax NS is a toss-up....OC will have to play a really good game to come out on top....

I think 13AA will make a clean sweep.

Here's my perspective on each game:

Milan V. Haywood Co. ----- Milan may be playing a Haywood team that may have more athletes but Milan has the better athletes. This Milan team has Purdue signee Chantel Poston and probably one of the best PG's in West TN in Shameika Gray. If Sarah Hamm keeps bombing the threes like she did in District, Patrecia Glenn keeps being the rebounding force she is, and Julianne Joyner playing her role on the team I see Milan winning this game by 22 points. Haywood has played 2 Dist 13AA teams this year (Dyersburg, Crockett Co.). They lost to Dyersburg 57-49 and beat Crockett Co. 70-57

Jax NS V. Obion Co. ----- Both teams will have their hands full with each other. North Side has been the dominant force in Dist. 14AA this year but fell to Fayette Ware in the Championship. North Side has Union Signee Lavanda Ross and Obion Co. has Murray St. Signee Jana Roney. I think Obion Co. will have the better TEAM but NS will have the better player in Ross. Obion Co. will have too many weapons for Ross and Company. North Side has played 1 13AA team this season in Dyersburg beating them both times 43-40 and 56-42. I'll take Obion Co. by 9.

Gibson Co. V Fayette Ware ----- Fayette Ware gets punished for winning their District Championship. They get the priveledge to play a 23-5 4th seed Gibson Co. team. After this rare case of Gibson Co. finishing 4th in District you better believe McMillan will have Gibson Co. ready for a long trip to Fayette Ware. Gibson Co. will be without Heather Griffin, as she is done for the season unfortunately, but will still have the force of Jennalee Pate in the post. As Gibson Co. has gone with a 4 guard line-up through this District tournament look for Gibson Co. to shoot the lights out in Somerville. Fayette Ware has played no 13AA teams this year. I say Gibson Co. by 14 points in this one.

Westview V. Covington ----- Covington always seem to have the athletes all over the floor year after year. However, so does Westview. Westview has the youngest team in Dist. 13AA as they start 3 Sophomores. I don't see Covington containing Amber Rechis and I do believe she'll get her points. Covington has played 2 13AA teams (Dyer Co., Dyersburg). They lost to Dyersburg twice 48-60 and 63-71. They lost to Dyer Co. by a score of 75-50. I see Westview winning at home against Covington by 19 points.

I'll add my 2 cents worth to you great post GCP.

Milan's Q Simpson is an unsong hero, defense, rebounding.

Haywood is small and quick. Milan should dominate the boards. Haywood's quickness could casue problems.

NS has Ross, but Alex Hill is a great post player. Smith is a good offside rebounder and Fason is a fresman S Grey. NS does a good job of spacing the floor to get the ball to Hill. She is tall and long armed and the left handed bank shot is pretty good. Smith is a strong rebounder on misses.

OC is loaded in all 5 spots.

F/W has some athletes and a good guard. GC is fundamentally sound. F/W plays a, let's just say different style.

Covington seemed to also have some good athletes and some size. Not as fundamental as MW, but not bad.

I noticed last year when Milan played them in the region and ns played them in the district and this year the 2 times I have seen them, call it helter skelter, whatever.

Like a press, it may suppose to be 2-2-1. It ends up looking like a run & jump, as some get lost in the moment and just go afer the ball, no matter where it may be. Sometimes the offical drawn up play be the coach ends up in a bad situation. But if you have good decision makers like Butler, that has natural basketball instincts, that type of play ends up in a lay up. You'll notice if they are pressing or trapping, it will never look the same twice. Once GC figures that out, they will attack it, instead of letting the press attack them and it is game over. 13AA teams have more than 1 weapon on each team. That kind of play usually stops 1 good player and if the others are not capable of making baskets , then advantage FW

GC should take their game against FW easily. But FW is the most un-orthodox team you will ever see. They are either awesome or terrible. They have hit shots when they have fallen and are on their knees. They crash the boards on rebounding (all over your backs) and if the officials don't call it then they kill you. They play a very slow style most of the time with a "weave" and when they get tired of "weaving" someone, (anyone) my just decide to launch up a shot. It could be from ANYWHERE on the floor. They just seem to have NS's number. We beat them by 20 on their home floor and Haywood played them VERY close in the semis. They can look very sluggish at times. So it is hard to predict this one (which is indicated by their record). But I say GC by 20. If GC wants a definite victory just tell them to put on a NS uniform. Because FW plays NS like they play no one else. I have never seen a team play so unconsistently.