IMAC 2008

mwtfan

I agree West has a tough schedule, but have you seen Cherokee and Greenville's schedule. Kinda makes you wonder about Coacht's ranking don't it. Greeneville( North Greene, Sullivan South, and Daniel Boone) Cherokee (Sullivan South, Volunteer, Johnson County, and Elizabethton) are their non-conferance games.

Oh yeah! The Blackman Blaze pounded the mighty GPS Bruisers the other night and who the heck is University School?

Granted, this early in the season it is tough to get meaningful information from strenth of schedule.

But, Cherokee has lost three games by a total of 4 runs to teams that have a combined record of about 30 wins and 4 losses. Of those 4 losses, one was to each other and 2 of the other 3 were to private schools in Chatanooga. That's where the strength of schedule is.

Here is another interesting method to evaluate where teams really are this early in the seasson. Take a look at the graph coacht provides on the "analyze this schedule" link. Project a best fit line to the data points on the chart to get an estimate of shere the line would cross zero. This point on the X-axis is an estimate of where that team's long term winning percentage would be based on who they have played so far and the run differential in those games.

Cherokee's link: http://tennessee.coacht.com/inside/schedul...amp;seasonid=69

This chart would indicate the long term win percentage of Cherokee might be in the 85% to 90% range.

The same analysis on JC indicates a long term winning percentage of around 60%.

I know.....way too much analysis, but interesting, don't you think.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to address comments made by JC#1 Fan. First of all "shame on you", you proclaim to love your lady pats and be their #1 Fan, yet never miss an opportunity to call these kids out! Enough is Enough! These are 14-18 year old girls whose main agenda is to have pride in playing for their school. This is NOT college world series. Yes, these girls will make mistakes, but they don't need an obviously scorned Fan pointing it out. There are a lot of girls on the JCHS team and I, as have you been at every game. I have yet to not see someone make a mistake, but the last time I looked there were 9 people out there not just 1 or 2. To pin a loss on any kid is terrible. Yes, there were mistakes made by the catcher which, if you were there you know she took the heat for. But there were also 2 other runs scored she had nothing to do with. The game was tied after 3 and in my limited knowledge that gave us 4 innings to win, we didn't. Yes, our first three batters may be struggling but beach ball and mack truck comments will not get them out of a slump. Yes, we beat a Cocke County team we should have, the point is we did. As for pitches not getting pitched if they are not called. I think that we have hade coaches, catchers and yes even parents! calling pitches this year, why are there best pitches not getting called? You are the one (#1 Fan) that is too busy focusing on the megaive rather than the ositive. We are young, we have a new coach, things change. Why can't you be encouraged about the good things that happening and the future of this TEAM instead of trying to constantly undermining the confidence of our players. I doubt your child has ever played a perfect game as have any of the Lady Pats. Why don't you le the coahes take care of the line up and learning curve. When we make a good play be proud, when we make bad ones encourage, when a kid gets a home run, wuit worrying about how far the fence was, be happy it went overand gave the team a chance to win. Quit making this in your words a "pitchers duel" we have 5 pitchers, be glad. I am proud to be a part of the Lady Patriots but when you call girls out and point fingers you need to remmber this is a young lady who has feelings and parents and grandparents and friends that are proud when she succeeds and feels the jurt when she makes mistakes. The coach will take care of the errors without you pointing them out. You see no other fan on here bashing their beloved teams.. Good teams are built with Discipline, Commitment, Respect and Encouragement. Grow up and quit your grumbling. We will never succeed if we have fans like you!

Granted, this early in the season it is tough to get meaningful information from strenth of schedule.

But, Cherokee has lost three games by a total of 4 runs to teams that have a combined record of about 30 wins and 4 losses. Of those 4 losses, one was to each other and 2 of the other 3 were to private schools in Chatanooga. That's where the strength of schedule is.

Here is another interesting method to evaluate where teams really are this early in the seasson. Take a look at the graph coacht provides on the "analyze this schedule" link. Project a best fit line to the data points on the chart to get an estimate of shere the line would cross zero. This point on the X-axis is an estimate of where that team's long term winning percentage would be based on who they have played so far and the run differential in those games.

This chart would indicate the long term win percentage of Cherokee might be in the 85% to 90% range.

Wow.....you're smart statman!!! You can tell it is raining outside and you can't be at the field!!!!

I would like to address comments made by JC#1 Fan. First of all "shame on you", you proclaim to love your lady pats and be their #1 Fan, yet never miss an opportunity to call these kids out! Enough is Enough! These are 14-18 year old girls whose main agenda is to have pride in playing for their school. This is NOT college world series. Yes, these girls will make mistakes, but they don't need an obviously scorned Fan pointing it out. There are a lot of girls on the JCHS team and I, as have you been at every game. I have yet to not see someone make a mistake, but the last time I looked there were 9 people out there not just 1 or 2. To pin a loss on any kid is terrible. Yes, there were mistakes made by the catcher which, if you were there you know she took the heat for. But there were also 2 other runs scored she had nothing to do with. The game was tied after 3 and in my limited knowledge that gave us 4 innings to win, we didn't. Yes, our first three batters may be struggling but beach ball and mack truck comments will not get them out of a slump. Yes, we beat a Cocke County team we should have, the point is we did. As for pitches not getting pitched if they are not called. I think that we have hade coaches, catchers and yes even parents! calling pitches this year, why are there best pitches not getting called? You are the one (#1 Fan) that is too busy focusing on the megaive rather than the ositive. We are young, we have a new coach, things change. Why can't you be encouraged about the good things that happening and the future of this TEAM instead of trying to constantly undermining the confidence of our players. I doubt your child has ever played a perfect game as have any of the Lady Pats. Why don't you le the coahes take care of the line up and learning curve. When we make a good play be proud, when we make bad ones encourage, when a kid gets a home run, wuit worrying about how far the fence was, be happy it went overand gave the team a chance to win. Quit making this in your words a "pitchers duel" we have 5 pitchers, be glad. I am proud to be a part of the Lady Patriots but when you call girls out and point fingers you need to remmber this is a young lady who has feelings and parents and grandparents and friends that are proud when she succeeds and feels the jurt when she makes mistakes. The coach will take care of the errors without you pointing them out. You see no other fan on here bashing their beloved teams.. Good teams are built with Discipline, Commitment, Respect and Encouragement. Grow up and quit your grumbling. We will never succeed if we have fans like you!

AH...now things are getting exciting

I agree West has a tough schedule, but have you seen Cherokee and Greenville's schedule. Kinda makes you wonder about Coacht's ranking don't it. Greeneville( North Greene, Sullivan South, and Daniel Boone) Cherokee (Sullivan South, Volunteer, Johnson County, and Elizabethton) are their non-conferance games.

Oh yeah! The Blackman Blaze pounded the mighty GPS Bruisers the other night and who the heck is University School?

Blackman also lost 9-0 to Baylor. But, yeah, you're right University School is not exactly a power house, but I think they could take Pigeon Forge or at least give 'em a good game, maybe??

Yep DZ things are getting excited now.

JCfan glad to see someone with a little passion for something on this post, but I think I need to clear some things up. It was said I only pointed out the "negative" aspects out, but the post made by ERCD not only pointed out things they thought I meant negatively, but made no mention of the postive things I said and made most of the postives into negatives. If I have ever offended anyone (parent, player or coach on this forum I apoligize), it is not my intention. I hope to clear some things up here by explaining some of my comments.

1. The beachball and mack truck comment was not that the players were not good (in fact I called them experianced, go to type players, forgot to mention that ERCD), but intended to be a dry comical reference to the way they are performing previous to the last post(If you ask any one the top three batters I would bet they would tell you that they are not performing up to their expectations (I can say that because of all the bats hit in the dirt, helmets pitched to the ground and looks on their faces after a poor plate appearance) They know they are better and I also said I had confidence they would recover. Looks like the beach ball comment challenged the top three and proved my theory right, if they are on base they will get batted forward and score(probably the difference in the game to my understanding). The softball evidently looked like a beach ball last night.

2. Somehow you confused my statement about Cosmo hitting a home run as derogatory, I said that as a compliment to her because right now she is hitting the ball as good as anyone on the team. My comments were in fact defending one of our own from comments made by King about one of our pitchers giving up "yackers" and shouldn't be pitching in competitve games.

3. Yes we do have five pitchers, but only three have thrown varsity games and that was sort of the discussion at the time. I mentioned all three girls in positive light, but here is the truth. Pitchers get all the glory when the team wins, they have to be able to take critism when they don't(just part of being a pitcher)

4. Yes to pin a loss on a kid is not a good thing(sorry my comments were taken this way and I personally apologize to any player that feels I was pointing them out). I used a couple of examples of plays that could have been worded better, but my intention as you said was that the team as whole were making mistakes that was costing them games.

5. This is not the college world series, I never said it was, But we are not playing tee ball anymore either. Most of these girls are playing not only pride in their team, but hopes of playing at the next level (ask them what their dreams as a player are ). You are correct they have to walk before they run, but at some point they have to jog.

6. I didn't start the "pitchers duel" thing, that actually was said in context to the comment made about our pitchers. These girls are a team, in a pitching rotation. I simply called King out for starting what was said about the rotation.

7. The coaches comment comes out of right field (an appropriate softball pun) I said that coach M was doing the right thing by rotating the pitchers. How is that a negative remark?

8. If the line up comment was about West, how can anyone argue that she shouldn't be in the lineup(I think she has struck out only three times this season, putting it in play is definately a positive). I don't make 'em, can't make 'em, but as I understand it these types of forums are for "discussing" the game.

Having fans like me has nothing to do with success, in fact it looks like they got a little ticked off and showed off last night. I believe in them no matter what they have done in the past, I know they will recover and show who they really are, as I said it is better to play good late than play good now. ERCD I am sorry you were upset with me, but I absolutely am glad to see someone who cares enough to defend them. As my name indicates I am JCs number one fan not any player, coach, or parents, but the whole group of individuals. I do love my lady Pats and wish them nothing but success. GO LADY PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackman also lost 9-0 to Baylor. But, yeah, you're right University School is not exactly a power house, but I think they could take Pigeon Forge or at least give 'em a good game, maybe??

touchee' my friend! I am very impressed with the ladies at West this year. After the beating I took over my last post I may have to move M'town just to feel "wanted". Congrats lady Trojans.

Muey impressive statman. I hadn't considered evaluating the team schedules of the teams opponents and who they played and who they played,........ That is why coacht is so great, a great forum that supplies us with accurate stats and freedom of speech to boot.

I saw in the Johnson City paper the other day where Betsy beat Unicoi County. Statistics give us insights, but we play the games for the real results. And when it's all said and done we have the long season and the short season. So slumps, injuries, acquired experience and who's hot and who's not doesn't matter till the second season.

I saw in the Johnson City paper the other day where Betsy beat Unicoi County. Statistics give us insights, but we play the games for the real results. And when it's all said and done we have the long season and the short season. So slumps, injuries, acquired experience and who's hot and who's not doesn't matter till the second season.

Absolutely right! As the old saying goes: "thats why we play the game". If I am correct Johnson city paper had Unicoi ranked #1 in upper East Tennessee, Elizabethton #2. M West, Cherokee, M East, and JCHS all ranked in top ten, but most way down the list. Cherokee hammered Elizabethton and Elizabethton hammered Unicoi and Unicoi shut out Cherokee. This is case in point about rankings, they just opinions with no way to know until the dust settles. However they are part of the sports world and what makes watching this sport as it progresses so much fun. With that said, here is JCfans list form upper East Tennessee districts: (I know I will leave someone out, so don't get offended)

1. Morristown West (until someone beats them around here they are there to stay)

2. Morristown East ( might be the one to beat West)

3. Rutledge (Until someone beats them period)

4. Unicoi (the next 3 are playin tag right now all with losses to each other in some combination, beat Cherokee Friday night so they move up)

5. Cherokee (If you have kept up with the schedules you see why I have them here)

6. Elizabethton (beat Unicoi earlier in season, but lost to Cherokee)

7. Science Hill (here because they beat JCHS in a close one)

8. Jefferson County (They will move up if they play like I heard they played the last 3 innings against G'ville)

9. North Greene (the unknown, who just keeps winning)

10. Cocke County (put them in the top ten because they are playin hard and winning games) what a turn around from past seasons. Don't know if they won a game last year, but they are above .500 this year and finished 2nd in Anderson County tourney.

I can't wait until Cocke County and Greeneville meet, although they are behind the other teams in the IMAC right now they are extrermely close in talent and guts. These games may be the IMAC games of the year. if you look how close they are in talent.

Must have been a good one down at Jeff County last night. Somebody give us some details. I heard Gilbert threw one heck of a game for Cherokee. Caught a little bit of the game on the radio & from the sound of the announcer, Jeff made some outstanding defensive plays early. I heard Nelson's name once making a diving stop on a ball up the middle & throwing the runner out from her knees. Hill must have pitched an outstanding game as well.

Where has everyone gone? Looks like this thread needs CPR.

Must have been a good one down at Jeff County last night. Somebody give us some details. I heard Gilbert threw one heck of a game for Cherokee. Caught a little bit of the game on the radio & from the sound of the announcer, Jeff made some outstanding defensive plays early. I heard Nelson's name once making a diving stop on a ball up the middle & throwing the runner out from her knees. Hill must have pitched an outstanding game as well.

Where has everyone gone? Looks like this thread needs CPR.

Great game last night mwtfan. I only wish it ended in favor of my PATS! Gilbert was throwin hard, we just couldn't catch up to it. She had a bunch of Ks. Hill is getting close to being back to her normal form, not as many strikeouts as she is used to, but keeping the ball down and causing a lot of bloopers to be hit. Both pitchers were good last night. Defense on both sides of the ball was excellent, Nelson did make an ESPN highlight play, laying out to get one drove up the middle and then throwing the runner out at first off of her knees. The game was decided in the sixth though, 3 consecutive errors loaded the bases with no outs, all routine plays I personally think the plays were to easy(you know how that can be an issue and once it starts its hard to stop the bleeding), but Hill pitched well and the defense got out of the inning only giving up one run, thats pretty impressive to recover from bases loaded no outs against Cherokee. I hope tonight is the night we get over the hump against M West, I know you hope we don't mtwfan. See ya at the ballpark. Go Lady Pats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1