Is this a violation of some sort?

RUBlind!!!

Is it a violation if a coach of one sport that is in it's off-season to tell a kid that is in another sport that is in season that he has a good chance to start in his sport but he needs to really be around or someone else might get that starting spot that is showing up? That kid then goes to the coach of the in season sport and tells him he is not going to play his sport anymore. This seems wrong???????

Let me know what the rule is or what you think.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There isn't a rule on this. If the kid doesn't want to play for whatever reason then he/she has picked the sport that he/she wants to get better at.

Like some kids trying to practice baseball and there being spring football. You don't see fall baseball while there is football going on. Having spring football is a waste of time and baseball players might get hurt during the drills so it take them away from baseball. Thats what the football coaches want.

Not for them to get hurt but to pull them away from the baseball and keep there minds on the sport that they coach.

There isn't a rule on this. If the kid doesn't want to play for whatever reason then he/she has picked the sport that he/she wants to get better at.

Like some kids trying to practice baseball and there being spring football. You don't see fall baseball while there is football going on. Having spring football is a waste of time and baseball players might get hurt during the drills so it take them away from baseball. Thats what the football coaches want.

Not for them to get hurt but to pull them away from the baseball and keep there minds on the sport that they coach.

I just don't see this as something that should take place. Kids should be free of pressure to play whatever sport they wish. Who is to say that a kids true best sport is basketball but when he was a freshman he was pressured and chose another sport. Kids may be missing oppurtunities to get a college education due to this pressure. Just my opinion. Not a fact.

I just don't see this as something that should take place. Kids should be free of pressure to play whatever sport they wish. Who is to say that a kids true best sport is basketball but when he was a freshman he was pressured and chose another sport. Kids may be missing oppurtunities to get a college education due to this pressure. Just my opinion. Not a fact.

Unfortunately, it isnt a rule, just a major violation or moral behavior. Its sad that it happens in this day and age, but its all to common where some coaches just want that player for themselves and dont think how other programs could benefit from him or her. I suggest that the athlete sit down and examine the situation, alot of times when coaches do this they are just trying to put the squeeze on a player, its a bluff most times, nothing else. So if said player refuses to give up the sport, a coach may huff and puff about, but more often than not, they are going to throw you off the team. But if they do, they werent worth playing for in the first place and your a better person by not playing for them.

true. the football coaches get mad when the baseball coaches wont let their players come to spring practice the football coaches think nothing of it. i wonder what they would say if the baseball coach called the team together during footbal practice for fall league game. grant it, if the football coach knows that the players on the baseball team are valuable to that team, they usually dont pressure them into being at spring practice.

Is it a violation if a coach of one sport that is in it's off-season to tell a kid that is in another sport that is in season that he has a good chance to start in his sport but he needs to really be around or someone else might get that starting spot that is showing up? That kid then goes to the coach of the in season sport and tells him he is not going to play his sport anymore. This seems wrong???????

Let me know what the rule is or what you think.

RUSerious?!?! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

the new rules that were put in was suppose to slow this type thing down so that more kids could play multiple sports but you proved my ppoint with this...if a coach doesnt want a kid to play other sports some stu[id rule is going to effect how a coach feels and that is one of the reasons that i was against the new rules but there is no rule against talking to a kid to play only one sport...but with dead period and restictioins it was suppose to slow it down

the new rules that were put in was suppose to slow this type thing down so that more kids could play multiple sports but you proved my ppoint with this...if a coach doesnt want a kid to play other sports some stu[id rule is going to effect how a coach feels and that is one of the reasons that i was against the new rules but there is no rule against talking to a kid to play only one sport...but with dead period and restictioins it was suppose to slow it down

It is really a shame that this happens. I am aware of a situation where at least 4 players have had this kind of pressure put on them. 3 of the 4 are 5' 6" or shorter. Not that they would have a future in baseball, but guys this size definitely don't play college football very often. Some of the posts mention the boys choosing the sport that they prefer, but I think that frequently there is a degree of intimidation that scares the boys into "choosing" football.

Of the 3 or 4 schools that I am aware of, it seems that the ones that have the best working relationships also seem to have more success, in both sports. Some football coaches tell the boys that after Christmas, they are baseball players. They also tell them to play summer baseball, just make sure they get their wieight lifting in. It just seems funny to me that these schools usually have pretty good teams in both sports.

A little parental guidance can go a long way. Coaches might be selfish and try to talk your kid into doing a lot of things, but parents can step up and insert their influence and do the right thing by their kid. My kid plays 3 sports. Sometimes that involves a little cross training while one sport is wrapping up and the other is starting up. Could it cost him some playing time? Sure it could. The one sport parents also don't want to see the multiple sport kid come in and take a one sport kids spot away when he's finished in the other sport.

It's tougher in June when you've got basketball practice and camps, summer baseball and the football team is lifting and running their summer passing league. That's the time when my kid feels the most pressure. Peyton Manning played 3 sports in high school. Todd Helton played at least 2. Even the UT football players are playing intramural sports in the off season. Let 'em play!

i dont think its right for a coach to say that. but i believe it is easier to get better at one sport than at two sports. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Sadly a small percentage of kids any any sport have the opportunity to participate at the "Next Level". Yes it is easier to become better at a "single sport", BUT why not play whatever sport or participate in whatever activity one chooses for the pure enjoyment of it or just to broaden one's horizons. Not to mention the fact that those blessed few can contribute in a large way to the success of their High School athleteic programs. JMO