Is this a violation of some sort?

RUBlind!!!

Sadly a small percentage of kids any any sport have the opportunity to participate at the "Next Level". Yes it is easier to become better at a "single sport", BUT why not play whatever sport or participate in whatever activity one chooses for the pure enjoyment of it or just to broaden one's horizons. Not to mention the fact that those blessed few can contribute in a large way to the success of their High School athleteic programs. JMO

Exactly and the smaller programs need all hands on deck where athletes are concerned.

It used to be that lettering in 3 sports was celebrated. It needs to get back to that.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it is interesting that we see this topic on the baseball board and there is a topic on the softball board about how kids quit playing because they are burned out. I challenge you to look at the number of kids playing HS ball (any sport) and then look at the number that that gets to play in college (any level). The vast majority do not get to play past HS. The fact is most will never get to play organized athletics past the HS level and I think that it is a shame that coaches caonvince kids to play one sport. I believe that the majority of time that a coach convinces that kid to focus on one sport he is doing it for the benefit of his program and not the benefit of the athlete.

It is really a shame that this happens. I am aware of a situation where at least 4 players have had this kind of pressure put on them. 3 of the 4 are 5' 6" or shorter. Not that they would have a future in baseball, but guys this size definitely don't play college football very often. Some of the posts mention the boys choosing the sport that they prefer, but I think that frequently there is a degree of intimidation that scares the boys into "choosing" football.

Of the 3 or 4 schools that I am aware of, it seems that the ones that have the best working relationships also seem to have more success, in both sports. Some football coaches tell the boys that after Christmas, they are baseball players. They also tell them to play summer baseball, just make sure they get their wieight lifting in. It just seems funny to me that these schools usually have pretty good teams in both sports.

What do you mean by a "degree of intimidation that scares the boys into choosing football.?

My son faced this same situation last year while trying to play baseball and football.

The football coach wanted him at spring practice, but baseball was going on obviously.

Then when the HS baseball season was over, the baseball coach wanted him to play summer league ball (just about everyday); the football coach wanted him running and lifting during the summer.

Then in fall the baseball coach wanted him to play fall baseball, but football started.

He was really pulled (or) pushed to play one.

I talked with both coaches about it and it was obvious it was about "his" program and not the athlete.

He has decided to play 1 sport this year; and wanted to keep his option open to return to other sport the next year. When he reported his decision to the other coach, he was basically told "it would be very hard to return after taking a year off and he certainly probably wouldn't be a starter. /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Is it a violation if a coach of one sport that is in it's off-season to tell a kid that is in another sport that is in season that he has a good chance to start in his sport but he needs to really be around or someone else might get that starting spot that is showing up? That kid then goes to the coach of the in season sport and tells him he is not going to play his sport anymore. This seems wrong???????

Let me know what the rule is or what you think.

I have heard many, many, many similar stories over the last 5 years regarding this issue - in particular in my county with Lebanon High. It is a shame. I don't know if it is "wrong" or not as it would be understandable if a football-only player put in the time during offseason work outs to earn the spot - especially if the other play isn't participating (even for another sport). I will say that I've heard tremendous amounts of pressure have been applied to kids by coaches (not limited to one sport either) at Lebanon specifically. It is a shame.

I think this happens in some of the larger schools where the talent level is higher. A two sport player is pressured to choose because there is always someone at his or her heels to take the spot. I've seen major damage done this past year at a particular school in the area with a kid that was a senior that decided to play a sport that wasn't in season at all at the time. The coach held this kid out of games and even to the point of punishment for their decision to play another sport.....keepin mind that the other sport didn't conflict in the least. I'll be willing to bet that if players hadn't have been so plentyful this kid would've played no matter. It hurt the kid and the parents....who had worked hard to help built the program that this coach inherited. Sad story....but it happens all to often.

MY 16 YEAR OLD in middle school played all 3 sports and was pretty good at basketball and baseball and i left the decision up to him i gave him my advice ...i told him to play if he wants but to not to have any regrets i told him if he wants to play basketball then play i knew he wanted to play baseball but i told him to play basketball if he wanted to because he is only in high school once so if he wants to play then play he eventually chose to play just baseballand i support that decision too but i advised him and let him make the choice...it wasnt any coach in the equation it was all him

Is it a violation if a coach of one sport that is in it's off-season to tell a kid that is in another sport that is in season that he has a good chance to start in his sport but he needs to really be around or someone else might get that starting spot that is showing up? That kid then goes to the coach of the in season sport and tells him he is not going to play his sport anymore. This seems wrong???????

Let me know what the rule is or what you think.

I really hope your kidding!!!!!

What do you mean by a "degree of intimidation that scares the boys into choosing football.?

I can give you a great example. I was taking a team of 16 year olds to the South East region in Richmond, Virginia. One of my players was told by the head football coach that if he went and missed practice he would not be on the team when he came back. If he would have went, he would have missed the first 3 days of football practice. And he didn't say the kid may have troube starting, he told him he would not be on the team. He didn't make the trip with us. How fair is that for trhe kid? By the way, the same kid will be playing college BASEBALL in 2009, not football.

I really hope your kidding!!!!!

Why's that? You don't see nothing wrong with allowing kids to be free to pick and choose sports without mental pressures from adults? Especially those being paid to look out for the kid's best interests.

I love all sports. Not one more than the other. I respect all the hard work that coaches put in as well. What I don't like is coaches manipulating players/ kids. That's not right. Last I checked high school coaches don't get a bonus for victories!

Typically an adult to adult conversation can mitigate some of the conversations that take place between coach and player, but I know a lot of high school coaches dismiss anything that's not school related. Summer baseball and AAU teams often have to work around mandatory high school camps. It's not like families aren't already planning their vacations during the dead period and trying to keep everybody happy. We are. Reasonable coaches will give their multi sport players some latitude and give them extra conditioning or running for missing something. Unreasonable coaches will ultimately lose kids.

My policy is to communicate with all parties. We try to work through the conflicts as soon as we know about them. At basketball camp, he might get all of his minutes in the early sessions so that he can make his travel baseball game that night or the travel team coach might reschedule the game if 3 or 4 guys are at basketball camp. You can't spring this on the coaches at the last minute though. Let them know you want to work it out and that you're going to do whatever you can to make sure the player makes all of the commitments they possibly can.

I can give you a great example. I was taking a team of 16 year olds to the South East region in Richmond, Virginia. One of my players was told by the head football coach that if he went and missed practice he would not be on the team when he came back. If he would have went, he would have missed the first 3 days of football practice. And he didn't say the kid may have troube starting, he told him he would not be on the team. He didn't make the trip with us. How fair is that for trhe kid? By the way, the same kid will be playing college BASEBALL in 2009, not football.

A friend of my son was trying out for baseball a couple of weeks ago. He was asked to come back for a second day. It just so happens that the kid was a sophomore that played football. Sometime before the the 2nd day the kid "decided" he needed to lift weights and get stronger for football because he might possibly be able to start next fall, if he was stronger and could put on some weight. I might add that the kid is 5 foot 2 or 3 and weighs about 150. The baseball coaches never even saw the kid again. Several of the baseball players said the kid looked awesome on the first day and would probably have started on JV. I wonder why the kid changed his mind so abruptly? Based on some of the statements in other posts in this thread, I think we can determine that someone got in his head. No one but the kid really knows.