CPA vs. Creek Wood

matt610

They both can shoot it pretty good. Dyer County has some DI talent on their squad. I can't remember the kids name, but he can light it up outside. They aren't really big but very, very fast. They like it in transition. I saw them play twice in the Lexington tournament in November, once against Bolivar.

I've seen Bolivar twice 4 months apart. They are more impressive in February than they were in November. They are fast too and their best player came off the bench in the regions. #21 Reaves. Their post is athletic and was high scorer against Harpeth in regions. They like the transition game too and are almost as fast as Dyer County. Either of those will shoot the 3 and crash the boards. Offensive rebounding is what killed Harpeth in the Bolivar game.

I like CPA against Bolivar based on matchups. Not sure against Dyer County. Dyer County can really turn it up a notch when they need to and their motors don't quit. They don't have a true post, but they don't really need one with their style of play. They're my pick to win it, but I haven't seen AE, Fulton or Howard play.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They both can shoot it pretty good. Dyer County has some DI talent on their squad. I can't remember the kids name, but he can light it up outside. They aren't really big but very, very fast. They like it in transition. I saw them play twice in the Lexington tournament in November, once against Bolivar.

I've seen Bolivar twice 4 months apart. They are more impressive in February than they were in November. They are fast too and their best player came off the bench in the regions. #21 Reaves. Their post is athletic and was high scorer against Harpeth in regions. They like the transition game too and are almost as fast as Dyer County. Either of those will shoot the 3 and crash the boards. Offensive rebounding is what killed Harpeth in the Bolivar game.

I like CPA against Bolivar based on matchups. Not sure against Dyer County. Dyer County can really turn it up a notch when they need to and their motors don't quit. They don't have a true post, but they don't really need one with their style of play. They're my pick to win it, but I haven't seen AE, Fulton or Howard play.

I think that if CPA can slow the game down like I believe they will against Dyer they have a great chance of pulling out the win. They are good with not turning over the ball, and that will help them out a ton. I havent seen Dyer County play, but if they dont have a post they will be in more trouble than I thought. Zeke will not have to many problems posting up somebody if they are not as tall, and I am pretty sure not as strong. Zeke is very very strong and that helps him out a ton down low. I am pulling for CPA as is most in middle tennessee, and I think they have a real shot. They are young, but dont play that way at all. I think Bolivar plays a little young, throwing the ball away, taking ill advised shots, and things like that. I dont think Bolivar will be able to beat CPA, and I think Bolivar vs. LA would be a good game. I have seen CPA, LA, and listened to three games with Bolivar. I like CPA's chances.

And ksgovols, I dont think the east is as good as some think. Once they run into the west teams, and these two teams from middle they will have trouble. Howard lost to Hixson. Hixson was at the williamson county invitational. I dont know if you watched them there, but I did. They were not very good, and Howard was only missing one player. That might not say much, but I think Hixson would get beat by Dyer, Bolivar, CPA, and LA by 20 plus. The east just doesnt have a lot of competition in AA. But we will see.

And I think you are talking about Justin Blake from Dyer County... Very good player, Mr. Basketball finalist along with Zeke...

Yeah Blake. If you slow it down and play half court, you better guard him to the half court line. That kid can shoot. Dyer's quick enough to take people off the dribble too, they just prefer to run. I didn't think they let the Blake kid touch it enough in the 2 games I watched them play.

I agree with what you're saying about forcing tempo and playing half court defense, but CPA can't afford to get in foul trouble if they go that route. Dyer County is quicker and deeper.

A-E and Fulton would concern me. That's a tough district in Knoxville and A-E's won state in AA and AAA over the years. They beat one of my Columbia teams in the AAA finals way back when. Lot's of folks don't give the East Tennessee teams credit in basketball but they've had some good teams come out of A-E and Kingsport D-B and Johnson City Science Hill over the years.

Yeah Blake. If you slow it down and play half court, you better guard him to the half court line. That kid can shoot. Dyer's quick enough to take people off the dribble too, they just prefer to run. I didn't think they let the Blake kid touch it enough in the 2 games I watched them play.

I agree with what you're saying about forcing tempo and playing half court defense, but CPA can't afford to get in foul trouble if they go that route. Dyer County is quicker and deeper.

A-E and Fulton would concern me. That's a tough district in Knoxville and A-E's won state in AA and AAA over the years. They beat one of my Columbia teams in the AAA finals way back when. Lot's of folks don't give the East Tennessee teams credit in basketball but they've had some good teams come out of A-E and Kingsport D-B and Johnson City Science Hill over the years.

Well I cannot wait either way... CPA has one of the better 2-3 defenses I have seen in the state, and with that they can slow the pace down easier than most. If the pace doesn't get slowed down then Dyer, Bolivar, A-E, and so on are going to have a lot of forced shots, just like Harpeth did against CPA.

I think that if CPA can slow the game down like I believe they will against Dyer they have a great chance of pulling out the win. They are good with not turning over the ball, and that will help them out a ton. I havent seen Dyer County play, but if they dont have a post they will be in more trouble than I thought. Zeke will not have to many problems posting up somebody if they are not as tall, and I am pretty sure not as strong. Zeke is very very strong and that helps him out a ton down low. I am pulling for CPA as is most in middle tennessee, and I think they have a real shot. They are young, but dont play that way at all. I think Bolivar plays a little young, throwing the ball away, taking ill advised shots, and things like that. I dont think Bolivar will be able to beat CPA, and I think Bolivar vs. LA would be a good game. I have seen CPA, LA, and listened to three games with Bolivar. I like CPA's chances.

And ksgovols, I dont think the east is as good as some think. Once they run into the west teams, and these two teams from middle they will have trouble. Howard lost to Hixson. Hixson was at the williamson county invitational. I dont know if you watched them there, but I did. They were not very good, and Howard was only missing one player. That might not say much, but I think Hixson would get beat by Dyer, Bolivar, CPA, and LA by 20 plus. The east just doesnt have a lot of competition in AA. But we will see.

And I think you are talking about Justin Blake from Dyer County... Very good player, Mr. Basketball finalist along with Zeke...

It's just Z for Zachaeus

This year's tourney will have some really tight games with some surprises, upsets, and OT's, IMO. The team that wins 3 in a row will have to bring their A game each game, hope their opponent has an off night, avoid foul trouble,and hit FT's in the clutch. Tall order for any team, but that is what it will take to win 3 in a row among this group of teams.

The east teams have played each other and mostly split those games, so we know they are closely matched. The only team I don't think can win it all is Mitchell, but I haven't seen them, just looked at their results this year. I am a CPA fan and want them to win, but I will not be surprised by any of the 8 winning it all.

I have nothing against CPA. I have a lot of friends that have gone and coached there. There was always good sportsmanship from the fans and coaches. that has changed with the addition of one coach. I had to see such a great school with a good reputation ruin it with an overrated coach.

I resent you speaking that way of my good friend Coach Danny Bryant.

Well I cannot wait either way... CPA has one of the better 2-3 defenses I have seen in the state, and with that they can slow the pace down easier than most. If the pace doesn't get slowed down then Dyer, Bolivar, A-E, and so on are going to have a lot of forced shots, just like Harpeth did against CPA.

CPA may have to get away a bit from that 2-3 if they play DC, for the shear fact that they shoot the three ball so well. I would love to see this matchup.

CPA may have to get away a bit from that 2-3 if they play DC, for the shear fact that they shoot the three ball so well. I would love to see this matchup.

You obviously are not very familiar with CPA. THey are a man-to-man team primarily that loves to switch from 1/2 court man to full court pressure to double teaming the ball in the 1/2 court. They mix up their defenses and play zone only occassionally to force the opponent to prove they can shoot (because you won't drive and get inside shots much against Z).

I would say they are 75% (at least) man-to-man. Their best defense is when they double the ball. They have the luxury of overplaying because if someone's man gets open inside, Z will contest or block the shot.

A team's defense is what really shows how well they are coached. I'm sure all of the remaining 8 are well coached - I know CPA is.