Best Coaches in Knoxville Area?

catpalace

How about Mike Wright of Morristown East. He had great teams at PF winning a couple of Districts and Regions and now has Morristown East competing for a title in only his second year. Has only been a head coach for 4 or 5 years, but his teams look as well coached as any team I have seen around here. He has won a lot of games with marginal talent.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about Mike Wright of Morristown East. He had great teams at PF winning a couple of Districts and Regions and now has Morristown East competing for a title in only his second year. Has only been a head coach for 4 or 5 years, but his teams look as well coached as any team I have seen around here. He has won a lot of games with marginal talent.

Mike Wright is a very good coach and his dad, Ken, is a very good coach at Sevier County as well.

Ken Wright doesn't have the same talent at Sevier County as he did when he was the head coach down in Augusta, Georgia and coached William Avery ( Duke) and Ricky Moore (Conn) among others to a state title in Georgia's highest classification. But make no mistake about it, Ken Wright can coach. I love Ken and Mike's coaching of the motion offense and both guys get their teams to play very hard.

What Mike Wright has done at Mo East is just amazing. He only has about 8 players that have bought in to his system, and the work ethic he demands, yet he has his team leading the IMAC in only his 2nd year. just imagine what he could do at a program with talent. No wonder Pigeon Forge won big under his tutelage. I predict he will be the next great coach in East Tennessee.

Mike Wright is a very good coach and his dad, Ken, is a very good coach at Sevier County as well.

Ken Wright doesn't have the same talent at Sevier County as he did when he was the head coach down in Augusta, Georgia and coached William Avery ( Duke) and Ricky Moore (Conn) among others to a state title in Georgia's highest classification. But make no mistake about it, Ken Wright can coach. I love Ken and Mike's coaching of the motion offense and both guys get their teams to play very hard.

No doubt about it Ken can coach. He won a lot of games at GP and is turning Sevier into a team that noone wants to play. They will be much better when they move over to the IMAC. Mike gives a lot of credit for his success to the lessons he learned from his dad. These two play every year and they are great games to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

What Mike Wright has done at Mo East is just amazing. He only has about 8 players that have bought in to his system, and the work ethic he demands, yet he has his team leading the IMAC in only his 2nd year. just imagine what he could do at a program with talent. No wonder Pigeon Forge won big under his tutelage. I predict he will be the next great coach in East Tennessee.

I am not trying to knock coach Wright in any way....he is an outstanding coach, and learned much from his father whom I have known for many years. I have also followed basketball in the East Tennessee area for many years and your statement "just imagine what he could do at a program with talent" is way off base IMO. Look at the Canes schedule....I guarantee year in and year out the Canes have more talent than 90% of the teams they play. I will agree however that in the past ten years under Decker they have definately underachieved.....he had some fabulously talented teams from a physical standpoint that certainly did not play up to their potential.....I would have liked to have seen what coach Wright could have done with them.

I am not trying to knock coach Wright in any way....he is an outstanding coach, and learned much from his father whom I have known for many years. I have also followed basketball in the East Tennessee area for many years and your statement "just imagine what he could do at a program with talent" is way off base IMO. Look at the Canes schedule....I guarantee year in and year out the Canes have more talent than 90% of the teams they play. I will agree however that in the past ten years under Decker they have definately underachieved.....he had some fabulously talented teams from a physical standpoint that certainly did not play up to their potential.....I would have liked to have seen what coach Wright could have done with them.

Agreed, they definitely have talent. You don't win that many games on coaching alone. It takes a combination of both to be a really successful team.