Best Coaches in Knoxville Area?

catpalace

Coach Mitchell is a classic. Here are the grades for the coaches around:

Bearden: Blevins.Great preparer. Great knowledge of the game. Above average in-game coach. A-

Maryville: Eldridge. Cool. Excellent in-game coach. Not afraid to take chances. A

Farragut: Dodgen. Hilarious man. Great regular season coach. Average post season coach. B

Fulton: Wright. Has a lot of talent and makes the most of it. A

WB: Baumann. Limited talent. Intense coach. Great father figure for players. A-

AE: Mitchell. Always makes it to State. Needs to win it though. Good fit for players. B+

Oak Ridge: Norris. Best looking according to my wife. Solid. A-

Smartest Coach (retired)

Oliver Springs: Cupp. 1 year wonder 32-5 State tournament berth. Beat Eldridge 103-61.

Retired after one season and moved on to more difficult challenges like

Upward Basketball where he is proud of his 24-0 record in 2 seasons.

I may be biased but Coach Hutchens from Catholic has to be mentioned, if you are talking about Knox County coaches, then he has to be up there. Over the last 7 years only 3 schools have more wins then Catholic. Bearden, Fulton and Austin East (and that's with Catholic playing less games then the big 3). I looked up their records (Knox County Schools only) and here is the break down of the top 6 schools:

Austin-East- 186-62 (248 games), 4 state tournament appearances.

Bearden- 184-54 (238 games), 2 state tournament appearance.

Fulton- 173-52 (225 games), 4 state tournament appearances and a state title.

Catholic- 152-52 (204 games) 3 state tournament appearances.

Farragut- 150-74 (224 games) no state tournaments appearance.

Powell- 145-80 (225 games) 1 state tournament appearance.

In head to head games over the last 7 years Catholic is 6-7

Fulton 0-2

Farragut 3-2

Powell 3-3

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not from the Knoxville area but it seems to me that you are leaving out a pretty good coach...Johnny Darden...I believe that he is at CAK...as the old saying goes...has probably forgotten more than some of the others know...and a great guy...got to hear him at a recent clinic...certainly has my respect...

At one time that may have been the case. He had some good runs at Rule but hasn't done much since. His CAK teams have played very uninspired basketball for his tenure there and he didn't do much at Carter. It appears that he took the CAK job as a way to double his income. Retirement pay from Knox County along with a new salary from CAK. Even though the talent level hasn't been top-notch, a good coach would have been able keep his teams competitive by adapting to their strengths. Not bashing him because he is a good person that, in my opinion, is out of his element at a private school. The tactics that he has used on the kids at Rule won't fly at CAK if you know what I mean.

Micah Marsh at Alcoa is as good of a coach as anyone in the area. He has proven he can win with talented teams. He took some lumps last year but only because of the unexpected loss of Cobb and Sommer, who would have been their best two players. Had they played, Alcoa would have been battling Fulton and A-E just like they always do to see which two of the three made it to the state.

IMO, Micah Marsh is on a very short list of the top coaches in ET.

At one time that may have been the case. He had some good runs at Rule but hasn't done much since. His CAK teams have played very uninspired basketball for his tenure there and he didn't do much at Carter. It appears that he took the CAK job as a way to double his income. Retirement pay from Knox County along with a new salary from CAK. Even though the talent level hasn't been top-notch, a good coach would have been able keep his teams competitive by adapting to their strengths. Not bashing him because he is a good person that, in my opinion, is out of his element at a private school. The tactics that he has used on the kids at Rule won't fly at CAK if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the info irish...very good post, you really know your stuff...he did do a great job at the clinic though...

Thanks for the info irish...very good post, you really know your stuff...he did do a great job at the clinic though...

I don't think it is a question of knowing the game. I've sat with him at UT basketball practices and watched him take notes and discuss concepts & ideas while watching the Vols. Unfortunately, there's more to coaching than the X's and O's.

I don't think it is a question of knowing the game. I've sat with him at UT basketball practices and watched him take notes and discuss concepts & ideas while watching the Vols. Unfortunately, there's more to coaching than the X's and O's.

Says the dude criticizing on a message board..that thinks some coaches with losing records are great while others aren't

HUMMMMMMMM THE BEST COACHES IN THE KNOXVILLE

well thats easy..... its gotta be BRUCE PEARL /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

what are you guys thinking!!!!!!

You meant for boys only I hope. Best BB coach period is Ms. Pat Summit. Even Bruce shouts that out /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I may be biased but Coach Hutchens from Catholic has to be mentioned, if you are talking about Knox County coaches, then he has to be up there. Over the last 7 years only 3 schools have more wins then Catholic. Bearden, Fulton and Austin East (and that's with Catholic playing less games then the big 3). I looked up their records (Knox County Schools only) and here is the break down of the top 6 schools:

Fulton 0-2

Farragut 3-2

Powell 3-3

Gotta love the snakeskin cowboy boots of Hutchins and the Stashe of Blevins!!!! By far the 2 best dressed coaches in the KIL!!!!

Fulton 0-2

Farragut 3-2

Powell 3-3

I was glad to see those stats because Mike Ogan of Powell should be on this list of best coaches in the Knoxville area.