Temple vs. Union City 1st Game of 2008 State Tournament!

TempleTrue

Yeah UC didnt play well at all..They couldnt throw it in the ocean today and ended up beating 8 instead of 5..The refs called a one sided game on the fouls..It was horrible! Mad props to Temple on a great season and congrats to J. Sexton on a great game..UC just couldnt hit nothing in the game it wasnt all the refs but there was many times when MJ got hammered on the inside and Tony Wilkins also and nothing was called..It was pitifull! They called every lil touch foul they could on UC..BUT>>NO EXCUSES..It was just one of those games where UC's schedule pay off for them and having a true leader on the team..Congrats to Tony Wilkins on a great game also...It was a great team effort on both sides of the ball.

No excuses? Then don't make excuses. I am with reaction... actually found myself cheering for Temple on this one. I think that may have been a first. Great season for the Crusaders. They showed they could play with the best.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well foks, Union City had their chance to blow this one wide open but the thrid quarter almost cost us the game. Give Temple credit, they came ina dn stayed with their game plan and it almost worked. This game wouldn't ahve been close if we could have hit our freethrows.

I think the first game gitters and this being the 1st game of the tourney, Union city will settle down and play Union city Baskeball come Friday. I promise you will see a totally different team come Friday. This was a good test for Union city.

Now, as for M J Brown, anyone who has been saying anything bad about him should read the box score. He hit his shots in the time of need. He "IS" a true leader.

Come Friday, I think we will play a much better game against Moore County. I know their pretty good and so are we.

Good luck Union City, everyone back here in the West Tennessee and Union city are pulling for you 100 %.

Oh, another thing, the reason why Union City fans seem a little on the cocky side, it's because no one from the Middle Tennessee area or East Tennessee area give us any respect.

Respect is earned not given.....Your team has earned it, some of your fans have not. For the last 2 yrs all I have heard is UC is going to win. Last year was much worse than this year. I remember reading a post about 2 teams in Knoxville and suddenly,"It don't matter because UC will win it all" pops up!!!!!

Your team may very well win it all, but don't act like other fans have no reason to pull against (UC Fans) UC.

Good luck to all

Respect is earned not given.....Your team has earned it, some of your fans have not. For the last 2 yrs all I have heard is UC is going to win. Last year was much worse than this year. I remember reading a post about 2 teams in Knoxville and suddenly,"It don't matter because UC will win it all" pops up!!!!!

Your team may very well win it all, but don't act like other fans have no reason to pull against (UC Fans) UC.

Good luck to all

UC it time to give credit where credit is due,great game if Temple would have one more player that could play ya,ll would have lost,but I will say great game and great respect by both team But again J.Sexton was by far the best Basketball player on the court 'HAND DOWN" Brown is no where in his league period.Also a little reminder we will be back next year,For ya,ll I,am not so sure, GOOD LUCK UC.

I knew that Union City could not possibly live up to the hype of their fans, but I had no idea that they would fall so far short. Based on what I had heard from their fans, I expected them to play like the LA Lakers, but they just turned out to be a good high school basketball team. I don't see anyway they will win this tournament, unless their 3's start falling. They only shot something like 2 for 25 from behind the arc, but stubbornly refused to try anything different. What a let down.

As for Temple, the guys seemed to be really up tight the first quarter, and the score showed that. Once they relaxed they played better, but still didn't have one of their better games. But if a couple calls would have gone their way in the last few minutes, they could have won the game.

Congratulations Crusaders. You almost took out the so-called best team in the state. It's been a great year.

Temple had a lot to do with UC having an off day. For a team that shoots and makes as many threes as UC, there ought to not be any excuses for the low shot percentage other than Temple played good defense. Rarerly did UC get any open looks from beyond the arc.

Temple shot and made about as many as normal, so the comment someone made on another thread about Murphy not being a shooter's gym is lame. Temple is not a big three point shooting team, although James Kemp is, himself, a big three point shooter. I am still trying to understand why James did not pull the trigger more often. He had a good number of open looks and did not fire.

Temple's defensive strategy seemed to work well but I am still trying to understand their offensive strategy.

All we heard about from a few zealous (which I appreciate) UC fans was about their swarming defense, and how no one could play with them for 32 minutes, and how it would be ineffective for any team to try and slow the game down. How is it that a team who has only one player with any real varsity experience or post season experience could hang with a team loaded with seniors and experienced players? Even on a bad day, you guys should have obliterated us. Either Temple is much better than people gave them credit for, or Union City is not as good as they thought.

UC definitely has a good team. Congratulations on doing what you needed to do to win today. Good luck to the Golden Tornados Friday!

Yeah UC didnt play well at all..They couldnt throw it in the ocean today and ended up beating 8 instead of 5..The refs called a one sided game on the fouls..It was horrible! Mad props to Temple on a great season and congrats to J. Sexton on a great game..UC just couldnt hit nothing in the game it wasnt all the refs but there was many times when MJ got hammered on the inside and Tony Wilkins also and nothing was called..It was pitifull! They called every lil touch foul they could on UC..BUT>>NO EXCUSES..It was just one of those games where UC's schedule pay off for them and having a true leader on the team..Congrats to Tony Wilkins on a great game also...It was a great team effort on both sides of the ball.

How can you say the refs called a lopsided game when there were only 3 more fouls called on one team than the other? If UC plays as aggressive in your face "D" as yall say they do you should expect a few more fouls.

How can you say the refs called a lopsided game when there were only 3 more fouls called on one team than the other? If UC plays as aggressive in your face "D" as yall say they do you should expect a few more fouls.

OK...Let me ask you this..How many times did Temple have to foul just to get UC in the 1and1..And then THEY HAD TO FOUL IN THE END! And how many throws did UC shoot in the first half??? The answer is 0..Temple had all their fouls called in the second half because they had to foul..Temple had 2 fouls called on them in the first half..UC had 14..Now i wasnt their and im sorry if im wrong..Im going by radio and what other people said..But im giving all the credit in the world to Temple for playing a great game and to Sexton for a great game..The refs didnt cause UC to shoot 8% from 3 land but they didnt ever let UC get into a groove in the second half..UC just had to fight through it..My buddy said MJ got hammered several times in the paint and Tony Wilkins made a awsome shot under the goal and got smoked out of bounds and nothing was called..But he also said Temple put some great D on UC the whole game and caused them to alter alot of shots..Hey..Mad Props to Temple and Sexton for a great season..And also to a great coach at Temple..We will see Temple again next year but i don't know about UC..They will fall off a bit but will be desent..Ill be their Fri for the Moore Co. and UC game..If MC wins ill give them all the credit in the world..Good luck to both teams.

Okay....I was wrong about Temple and I will accept that.....Jeremy Sexton is awesome....

Everytime I thought Union City was going to blow the game open, Temple would hit a shot and make a comeback.....Congrats to Temple on an excellent season....They will probably win state next year....I think if Manassas would have played Temple this year....Temple would've won....Just my opinion....Now the Tornadoes must look on to Moore County and forget about this game....I look for more shots to go down and a UC win!!

OK...Let me ask you this..How many times did Temple have to foul just to get UC in the 1and1..And then THEY HAD TO FOUL IN THE END! And how many throws did UC shoot in the first half??? The answer is 0..Temple had all their fouls called in the second half because they had to foul..Temple had 2 fouls called on them in the first half..UC had 14..Now i wasnt their and im sorry if im wrong..Im going by radio and what other people said..But im giving all the credit in the world to Temple for playing a great game and to Sexton for a great game..The refs didnt cause UC to shoot 8% from 3 land but they didnt ever let UC get into a groove in the second half..UC just had to fight through it..My buddy said MJ got hammered several times in the paint and Tony Wilkins made a awsome shot under the goal and got smoked out of bounds and nothing was called..But he also said Temple put some great D on UC the whole game and caused them to alter alot of shots..Hey..Mad Props to Temple and Sexton for a great season..And also to a great coach at Temple..We will see Temple again next year but i don't know about UC..They will fall off a bit but will be desent..Ill be their Fri for the Moore Co. and UC game..If MC wins ill give them all the credit in the world..Good luck to both teams.

I listened on the radio as well , so I couldn't see if there were fouls that werent called , but there were only 17 fouls called on UC which is not many for a team that plays as aggressive as they do.

Congrats to Temple on a great season...especially February and March.

You were the one team of "The Big 3 from Region 3" that actually got better as the year went on.

Next year you all will be tough if everyone is back and healthy.

Now the whole state should know what Chattanooga already does...Sexton is ridiculously good! He is so smooth and level headed that he plays his game, not the game his opponents try to make him play.

You have to credit the poor shooting day from UC to Temple's Defense

Personally...I think UC got humbled a little bit even though they won. I can't say they thought they were going to win big or whatever...but Temple took it to them when all signs pointed to a blow out.

One final thought: I think by now all Single A schools should hope to avoid Temple at all costs when State rolls around. I am not a Temple fan at all, but they have a history of being giant killers in March.