Temple vs. Union City 1st Game of 2008 State Tournament!

TempleTrue

Couple of things....

Temple played like a defending state champion...They showed alot of heart...Jeremy Sexton will be a Mr Basketball finalist next season....He is very good...His scoring though was not what was impressive...Scorers will score,that's what they do...I was impressed with his defense...For him to get 30 AND have to really play defense was impressive...Marcum is a good coach..He kept his poise as did Temple...Usually when you get down 11-0 to Union City,you can put the fork in,cause it's over....Temple lacks depth and they need somebody else to step up and score...Temple will be back here again next season,maybe as one of the top two or three teams...Congrats to the Temple team...

Union City is not going to shoot 2 for 25 from three point land again....25 may seem like alot but really that may be one of,if not the lowest attempts for a game this season....I've never seen this bunch hit two in the 1st quarter and then not hit any more....Temple had some to do with it,but the UC shooters left quite a few well short....Depth perception,maybe??...Jitters,Maybe??...They did have a few times when they had a hand in their face...The fouls??...Union City had 9 in the first half..Temple had 2...UC wasn't even in the bonus until Temple had to start fouling late in the game...Union City missed some crucial freebies that allowed the game to get close after Temple took their only lead of the game at 44-42..UC,like good teams do,reeled off the next ten points....UC again proved they can win any style of game..Like Bruce Pearl has been saying lately,We can beat you in the 50's or we can beat you in the 90's....

If I were an East or Middle Tn fan I would be scratching my head after yesterday...UC or Manassas didn't look good..Temple had a great game plan and had alot to do with UC's performance but I don't know about Manassas..Jackson County is not real good and they dictated tempo on the Tigers..If they wouldn't have been so intimidated and just knocked down some shots,that game would have been very interesting at the end...And if I'm a Blue Devil fan,I'm wondering why my coach didn't attack the press instead of whatever they were doing..That was an interesting way to go about things....

On to Moore County...Should be alot of fans here for this one tomorrow...Moore County seemed to want to push it up court and let em fly...They did real good against Eagleville until the Eagles started pressing them...They were hanging on for dear life in the second half after being up 40-19 at half...They will need to be able to play 4 quarters against Union City....

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having seen all three of the Mr. Basketball Candidates play this year i can honestly say that its highway robbery that Jeremy Sexton isn't even being considered for Mr. Basketball! He is the best single player that i have seen this year. I know all you UC fans are going to get on here and say stuff about M.J. Brown and while he is good he isn't near the player Sexton is. Sexton guarded him most of the day and shut him down! UC couldn't shut Sexton down with ALL 5 PLAYERS! Demario Williams isn't close to Sexton and neither is the big kid from Manassas. He did very little besides block shots yesterday in a game where he was 10 inches taller than any of his opponents on the floor! All i've heard about all year long on these message boards was how good MJ Brown is. He is a fine player no doubt but Sexton is ALOT better. You can say well he had an off day shooting or just didn't have is normal game.. blah blah blah. Sexton manned up in his face defense and shut him DOWN! Sexton dropped 30 on UC's whole team! If Sexton would have had ANY help Temple wins this game easily. He almost beat "the mighty Union City" by himself! Politics must have won out on the voting because the true CLASS A MR. BASKETBALL IS JEREMY SEXTON and i am NOT a Temple fan! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Couple of things....

Temple played like a defending state champion...They showed alot of heart...Jeremy Sexton will be a Mr Basketball finalist next season....He is very good...His scoring though was not what was impressive...Scorers will score,that's what they do...I was impressed with his defense...For him to get 30 AND have to really play defense was impressive...Marcum is a good coach..He kept his poise as did Temple...Usually when you get down 11-0 to Union City,you can put the fork in,cause it's over....Temple lacks depth and they need somebody else to step up and score...Temple will be back here again next season,maybe as one of the top two or three teams...Congrats to the Temple team...

Union City is not going to shoot 2 for 25 from three point land again....25 may seem like alot but really that may be one of,if not the lowest attempts for a game this season....I've never seen this bunch hit two in the 1st quarter and then not hit any more....Temple had some to do with it,but the UC shooters left quite a few well short....Depth perception,maybe??...Jitters,Maybe??...They did have a few times when they had a hand in their face...The fouls??...Union City had 9 in the first half..Temple had 2...UC wasn't even in the bonus until Temple had to start fouling late in the game...Union City missed some crucial freebies that allowed the game to get close after Temple took their only lead of the game at 44-42..UC,like good teams do,reeled off the next ten points....UC again proved they can win any style of game..Like Bruce Pearl has been saying lately,We can beat you in the 50's or we can beat you in the 90's....

If I were an East or Middle Tn fan I would be scratching my head after yesterday...UC or Manassas didn't look good..Temple had a great game plan and had alot to do with UC's performance but I don't know about Manassas..Jackson County is not real good and they dictated tempo on the Tigers..If they wouldn't have been so intimidated and just knocked down some shots,that game would have been very interesting at the end...And if I'm a Blue Devil fan,I'm wondering why my coach didn't attack the press instead of whatever they were doing..That was an interesting way to go about things....

On to Moore County...Should be alot of fans here for this one tomorrow...Moore County seemed to want to push it up court and let em fly...They did real good against Eagleville until the Eagles started pressing them...They were hanging on for dear life in the second half after being up 40-19 at half...They will need to be able to play 4 quarters against Union City....

This from the Jackson Sun....

Union City, which averages 11 3-pointers per game, was held to 2-of-25 from beyond the arc. Both 3-pointers came in the first quarter.

.Do you happen to know what UC's three point shooting% is for the season. I'm trying to figure out how many threes a game they shoot. My guess is that as a team they would shoot somewhere around 32 to 35 percent as a team...with maybe a couple of players shooting in the high 30's to low 40's. If that's the case your looking at anywhere from 35 to 38 threes a game...Man that's alot of threes.

After having seen all three of the Mr. Basketball Candidates play this year i can honestly say that its highway robbery that Jeremy Sexton isn't even being considered for Mr. Basketball! He is the best single player that i have seen this year. I know all you UC fans are going to get on here and say stuff about M.J. Brown and while he is good he isn't near the player Sexton is. Sexton guarded him most of the day and shut him down! UC couldn't shut Sexton down with ALL 5 PLAYERS! Demario Williams isn't close to Sexton and neither is the big kid from Manassas. He did very little besides block shots yesterday in a game where he was 10 inches taller than any of his opponents on the floor! All i've heard about all year long on these message boards was how good MJ Brown is. He is a fine player no doubt but Sexton is ALOT better. You can say well he had an off day shooting or just didn't have is normal game.. blah blah blah. Sexton manned up in his face defense and shut him DOWN! Sexton dropped 30 on UC's whole team! If Sexton would have had ANY help Temple wins this game easily. He almost beat "the mighty Union City" by himself! Politics must have won out on the voting because the true CLASS A MR. BASKETBALL IS JEREMY SEXTON and i am NOT a Temple fan! /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

You are right it was like Dawayne Wade was out there playing or Kobe Bryant there was no reason that Sexton didn't get Mr. Basketball beside the west has more vote to go in than the east.Most of the time UC didn't worry about no one but Sexton they would have 2 and three player guarded him at all time so UC the only D1 player on the court was J Sexton.Yes and by the way most of your fan are good people really enjoy talking to them so good luck on your run hopefully we will see you next year.

Union City, which averages 11 3-pointers per game, was held to 2-of-25 from beyond the arc. Both 3-pointers came in the first quarter.

.Do you happen to know what UC's three point shooting% is for the season. I'm trying to figure out how many threes a game they shoot. My guess is that as a team they would shoot somewhere around 32 to 35 percent as a team...with maybe a couple of players shooting in the high 30's to low 40's. If that's the case your looking at anywhere from 35 to 38 threes a game...Man that's alot of threes.

aVERAGING 11 MADE 34 ATTEMPTED 31%, HAVE MADE AS MANY AS 20 AND AS LITTLE AS 2

midtensportsfan, your biased...Sexton is not as good as MJ! I've seen both play and MJ is better. Yes, he may not have scored 30 points yesterday against Temple however his team won the game. It takes a true PG to be able to handle the ball and keep it safe under pressure like that. Just because MJ didn't score 30 points like Sexton doesn't mean Sexton is the better player. It shows me that Temple has no one else other than Sexton considering he scored 29 and Temple finished with 55 points. That's over half the points. MJ is a TRUE PG and scores when he is called upon. Union City is a good TEAM and doesn't need MJ to drop 30 a game for a W. Sexton is NOT better than MJ!!!

Couple of things....

Come on man Temple had 26 tos and only had 1 player Sexton. UC won by 4 with the help of the refs. UC aint that good. Manassas or UC didnt make shots. Manassas still won by 18 shooting 3-19 from 3 land. Dont expect hat to happen again this tourney. If Manassas would have shot there regular like 9-19 they would have won by 36 points. Manassas showed that they could play anyway they wonted to play. U wont to slow it down cool. UC didnt run like they used to. Buckner Dominated the game on the defensive end. UC must have been intimidated by temple then cause UC shot 2-25 from 3 land.

UC will see what it is like if they can beat Moore Co. Manassas will be the Giants and UC will be the Patroits. Legend is woke now. You should have said nothing about Manassas. Temple didnt have a good game plan they turned the ball over 26 times. UC didnt turn those TOs into points. Game plan thats BULL! If UC would have shot fair tht game would not have been close. UC peps I will be in the Houe rooting for you so everyone will see UC -VS- Manassas sat at 3:00'

Sexton would kill to be MJ or Buckner right now. Both of them are still playing lol!!!! Sexton gone fishing.

Legend, are you serious?.......Jackson Co. would have got ran out of the gym by Temple.....If they wouldnt have had that one guy miss about 20 3s himself the game would have alot closer against ya'll.....Please..If they play like they did against a VERY bad JC team vs University School they will get beat.....And tell me why Buckner is tired in the 2nd quarter?.....JC wasn't even running them....Yeah, I know Union City played awful, but Temple is Temple...JC is a different story.....Should've won by 50 even with JC stalling....

Jeremy Sexton is good player, no doubt, BUT when Union City needed MJ the most he stepped up in the fourth and sent Temple packing along with Sexton.....You act like MJ had an awful game....He still had 19 points and in the fourth quarter, MJ had the ball.....MJ is the Mr. Basketball!

The other highschool website has UC 5th in the nation from behind the arc. Don't know how accurate that is though.