Antioch vs Seigel

Icy

Hoolie...you stop...in fact get a life. I know from hearing everybody talk, and seeing scores over the last couple of years White County has one of the best home court advanges anywhere in the state....thats why Imay not like it, its the truth. Go Siegel!!!

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you didn't Starfan /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I usually agree with you, but the fact that you would compare Antioch to White County is negligent. I've seen White County three times, Siegel five times, and Antioch seven times this year, and I can tell you, athletically (and yes there is more to the game than athleticism)..............White County has one guy who could start on Antioch's team. ONE!

UNO!

1!

And that's just real talk. And the notion of this Antioch team, whose two losses are to out of state teams that were both ranked in the national Top 25 at one point this season would finish third in 7-AAA is just dead wrong.

I'm a 7-AAA guy these days and I could tell you that Antioch might have lost one road game in that district, tops.

I think people are buying into this typical Metro Nashville rag tag athlete thought process, and it just doesn't hold water. Jim Nollner is a Vet, this ain't Dolla Store Crowder coaching this team. He'll have his boys ready to go from the jump.

Siegel is going to have to play their best game and Antioch is going to have to chip in by playing poorly for the Stars to win. Cutter and Gooch and Hammonds are going to have to score about 55 points between them. I just think Siegel has to play too fast paced to win this game. They want to run, but Antioch thrives in that game.

Nice post, However, The only difference between Nollner and store Crowder is that Crowder has State championship gold balls. Boy they could have used Crowders style of play tonight and probably would have beat The Stars like a drum like they did last year preseason.

Totally disagree

Siegel's crowd the first two years was way better than tonight's

Not only that, but the DC/CPA game's crowd was superior to tonight's. It got loud!

Add to that the Bolivar crowds the years that they won the state, or the Giles County crowds that packed the glass house.

No comparison.

haha okay so maybe i exaggerated, but living in Murfreesboro i am at the glass house all the time for one reason or another and its rare for it to be that packed. as far as the siegel nation of course they have had WAYYY bigger crowds before at state but in general i thought there might have been more attendance over all.

i know the A/AA part of the tournament wednesday they said attendance was up 10% from last year. but yeah that year Giles County still had tyler smith was crazy attendance

First off, congrats to Siegel. I did not think that they could execute a gameplan that well with as many young players as they have. Kudos to Chris Harris and his staff, they completely outcoached, outplayed, and out-efforted Antioch. Tate, who I think has been a weak link for the Stars at times, came up absolutely huge in the third quarter. He hit a couple of dagger threes. Siegel's bigs also did a great job holding their own in the post, and not letting Antioch get those momentum changing dunks.

On to Antioch, that was a poor performance from the coach on down. Why on Earth did you wait 21 minutes to force the tempo? Siegel found some cracks in the zone, yet Jim Nollner never went man. That is just baffling to me. Plus, his team was lulled to sleep. Press and play man and get the tempo up. This wasn't a Pythagorean Theorem game to coach, this was 101. Temple never won a title playing a matchup 2-3 and Syracuse had to have a once in a lifetime player in Carmelo Anthony to win theirs. When do people learn? Nothing else can be said. Also, too many guys no-showed for them. Big ups to McAdoo and Clarke, who played hard throughout.

also tonight you got to see the benefit of a well officiated game...they let the boys play tonight and didnt call petty fouls and such. no if we could get officials like that year round

I've got to say, I 100% disagree with this statement. I was pulling for Antioch (because that's where I went to HS), but I like Siegel too (I live 5 min from SHS), but I thought Antioch was playing uphill with the refs all night. When Tyler is allowed to ward off with his left hand continuously yet draws hand check calls, and Kyle Upton can't get the same call on the other end with Gooch and Hammonds on his back, that ain't even. And when you have big bruisers like Hughes and Mitchell, and only have two team fouls halfway through the fourth, that isn't even either.

That wasn't the reason why Antioch lost, they were beat from the jump, but Siegel definitely drew an advantage in the fouls.

Congrats Stars and beat Ridgeway, they are very vunerable.

I've got to say, I 100% disagree with this statement. I was pulling for Antioch (because that's where I went to HS), but I like Siegel too (I live 5 min from SHS), but I thought Antioch was playing uphill with the refs all night. When Tyler is allowed to ward off with his left hand continuously yet draws hand check calls, and Kyle Upton can't get the same call on the other end with Gooch and Hammonds on his back, that ain't even. And when you have big bruisers like Hughes and Mitchell, and only have two team fouls halfway through the fourth, that isn't even either.

That wasn't the reason why Antioch lost, they were beat from the jump, but Siegel definitely drew an advantage in the fouls.

Congrats Stars and beat Ridgeway, they are very vunerable.

my point exactly...refs let it become more physical and made for a more exciting game. i dont think there was a huge descripency (sp) in foul shots attempted i think both teams had 20 something

CHOKE NOELLER TO THE RESCUE

HEY WHITES CREEK FANS LOVED THIS ONE!!!

CAN'T WAIT TIL TONIGHTS GAMES

HOW COULD ANTIOCH NOT DEFEAT THE STARS?

MOST TALENTED TEAM HERE IN "CASHVILLE" SINCE 81

LOL...................I like that name Choke Nollner, lol. Now I know why the Creek hadn't won a c'ship.

And to echo McNine, I agree. Antioch never pushed the tempo. It was evident, Siegel was prepared for the 2-3 zone. He tried a halfcourt trap which had little success in the 4th quarter. That game looked eerily similar to last yr WC vs. Maryville.

Antioch made NO adjustments after halftime.

LOL...................I like that name Choke Nollner, lol. Now I know why the Creek hadn't won a c'ship.

And to echo McNine, I agree. Antioch never pushed the tempo. It was evident, Siegel was prepared for the 2-3 zone. He tried a halfcourt trap which had little success in the 4th quarter. That game looked eerily similar to last yr WC vs. Maryville.

Antioch made NO adjustments after halftime.

I agree 100%

my point exactly...refs let it become more physical and made for a more exciting game. i dont think there was a huge descripency (sp) in foul shots attempted i think both teams had 20 something

TDNTN,

I basically agree with you, but when Antioch turned up the heat there for about 3-4 minutes at the end of the third and early in the fourth, Cutter got bailed out with some ticky-tacks that they weren't calling for Antioch's PG on the other end. Siegel got physical with Upton, but he wasn't getting bailed out. The block-charge on Hammonds late in the first half was pivotal too. For a group of refs that love giving the benefit of the doubt to good defense, the Antioch kid pitched a tent and waited on him for 2 paces, and still got a blocking call. That's usually not the TSSAA officiating M.O.

Like I said, Jim Nollner (who I respect....but I have to call it like I see it) handcuffed his own team from the get-go, letting them get lulled to sleep by playing passive basketball, so the refs didn't factor in the game like they did the CPA-Dyer County game, but I thought Siegel benefitted from some 50-50 calls. But, hey, sometimes, you make your breaks and the more deserving team won.

I thought about something. College hoops and high school hoops are obviously not on the same level, but the rules are similar. Think about this, take Syracuse in 2003 out of the mix, when has any team in college won a national title since the shot clock and the three point shot, and almost exclusively played zone??

Coach K = man principle

Roy Williams = man principle

Jim Calhoun = man principle

Dean Smith = man principle

Tark = man principle

Billy D = man principle

Pitino = man principle

Tubby = man principle

Larry Brown = too young to remember fully, but he's a Smith disciple, so it had to be mostly man

Nolan Richardson is the only guy that played a "zone" per se, and it was a 94 foot trapping concept.

AGREE I also call it like I see it. A CHOKE is a CHOKE whether you wear a BLUE or RED TIE. LOL

TDNTN,

I basically agree with you, but when Antioch turned up the heat there for about 3-4 minutes at the end of the third and early in the fourth, Cutter got bailed out with some ticky-tacks that they weren't calling for Antioch's PG on the other end. Siegel got physical with Upton, but he wasn't getting bailed out. The block-charge on Hammonds late in the first half was pivotal too. For a group of refs that love giving the benefit of the doubt to good defense, the Antioch kid pitched a tent and waited on him for 2 paces, and still got a blocking call. That's usually not the TSSAA officiating M.O.

Like I said, Jim Nollner (who I respect....but I have to call it like I see it) handcuffed his own team from the get-go, letting them get lulled to sleep by playing passive basketball, so the refs didn't factor in the game like they did the CPA-Dyer County game, but I thought Siegel benefitted from some 50-50 calls. But, hey, sometimes, you make your breaks and the more deserving team won.

I thought about something. College hoops and high school hoops are obviously not on the same level, but the rules are similar. Think about this, take Syracuse in 2003 out of the mix, when has any team in college won a national title since the shot clock and the three point shot, and almost exclusively played zone??

Coach K = man principle

Roy Williams = man principle

Jim Calhoun = man principle

Dean Smith = man principle

Tark = man principle

Billy D = man principle

Pitino = man principle

Tubby = man principle

Larry Brown = too young to remember fully, but he's a Smith disciple, so it had to be mostly man

Nolan Richardson is the only guy that played a "zone" per se, and it was a 94 foot trapping concept.

Siegel beat Antioch playing entirely zone last night. I recall them running a man defense in no more than 2 or 3 possessions.

Antioch's coaching just simply befuddled me. They seemed to be content with walking the ball up the floor and then had no clue how to attack Siegel's 2-3 zone. They simply stood around. On the few occasions they pushed the ball (not allowing Siegel's zone to get set), they were able to get good shots. Maybe they are just not a running team.

I have also been reading all about their 'suffocating 2-3 zone'. Well, at some point you have to realize you are behind and get out of your zone and go man. They never did. They allowed Siegel to pass the ball around and run out the clock. Siegel did an outstanding job at the end of the game.

As one of Coach Harris' biggest critics during the Oden-Ramsey years, I now have to believe he has to be considered the top coach in 7AAA. How can anyone argue? He has 3 state tourney appearances in 4 years. If I am not mistaken, the only other coach to reach the state in that time is Randy King (with 1 appearance). Doing it with Oden, Ramsey, Roper and Jones is one thing, but doing it with no superstars (I agree that Cutter is overrated) is strictly another.