Wing-T in 5A football

All offenses have many plays both pass and run. All have options, screens, counters,reverses,draws,quick pass game,play action pass,5 step pass,and probably other plays. The play caller has more to do with the success of the offense than the type of offense. All can be exciting or boring. The percentage of run to pass is left up to philosophy of the coach and what the athletes do best.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who are scared of the wing t, I will put on a clinic cheap. In my career, I can proudly say that I have never lost to a wing t team ever. This includes as a player and a coach. Does Bellevue Wash have a great team? Sure they do, but if you have equal talent, its no problem to stop.

So we should believe that the De La Salle's and Cal Poly's of the world don`t have equal talent?

For those of you who are scared of the wing t, I will put on a clinic cheap. In my career, I can proudly say that I have never lost to a wing t team ever. This includes as a player and a coach. Does Bellevue Wash have a great team? Sure they do, but if you have equal talent, its no problem to stop.

Tell you what champ..........you havnt played very many then and the ones you did were not very good. Do us all a favor and tell us where you played and what wing-t teams you stopped so readily?

spread running games are more single wing based... not wing t.

Wing T is adapted from the spinner series of the single wing.

Simply taking a shotgun snap does not in fact mean that the spread running game is adapted from the single wing. In the single wing you have at least 2.....sometimes 3 different people taking snaps and making handoffs on a regular basis. This is not normally the case in the spread. The spread LIKE THE WING T, uses a true QB who make most........if not all of the hand offs and passes. Most spread running games have simply removed the wing-t fullback, and use the QB to run his holes and plays.

Simply taking a shotgun snap does not in fact mean that the spread running game is adapted from the single wing. In the single wing you have at least 2.....sometimes 3 different people taking snaps and making handoffs on a regular basis. This is not normally the case in the spread. The spread LIKE THE WING T, uses a true QB who make most........if not all of the hand offs and passes. Most spread running games have simply removed the wing-t fullback, and use the QB to run his holes and plays.

That be kinda funny to me. I once heard a rather good coach talk about the importance of the single wing 2 his implementation of the spread offense he was aopting. Not saying that the wing t was a none factor in his installation of said offense. He just seem to emphasize the single wing and visiting some other coach that knew a little somethin bout it. But... "2 each is own" in the biz... I guess?

With the new extended dead period in football putting a halt to spring 7-7 passing competition, I could see additional teams adapting to more of a run orient offense in the 2008 season. It takes longer time to come up to speed with the passing game than running formation.

It will be interesting how the extended dead period will effect the spread type teams. This needs to be looked at year end to see how extending the dead period affected overall teams QB passing attempts and receiving yards for 2008. Will fewer scholarships be offered for QB's, Receivers, Safeties, and Cornerbacks due to lack of production?

I HAVE given my thoughts on the wing T a lot on here and i am not a fan of the wing T

TDCMAN i disagree i do not think our defense was or has been a weak link the past 2 years i will give you special teams has been a little week but not the defense...it was weak against WC in the last game but i think they got tired from allof the 3 and outs

IN MY OPINION in 5A the coaches and defenses are better and there is not as many 2 way players in 5A to wear down like in the lower classifications the defenses are more disiplined and know to STAY AT HOME you do not have to read the guards you just have to stay home eventually the play will come back to you and that is why we lose the second time around the coaches are able to point out there errors from the first game and the players learn

as far as wing T winning state it hasnt happened in 5A and i wish my WARRIORS WOULD PROVE ME WRONG we had 5 LINEMAN get scholarships and evena QB so i believe the athletes were there i think its the system...

but i am just a fan and supporter and there are more people smarter than me so i will keep the faith and keep waiting for my WARRIORS to get back to the state championship we at RIVERDALE are spoiled i am not used to not going to support my warriors on thanksgiving weekend and i havent done that the past 2 years

With the new extended dead period in football putting a halt to spring 7-7 passing competition, I could see additional teams adapting to more of a run orient offense in the 2008 season. It takes longer time to come up to speed with the passing game than running formation.

It will be interesting how the extended dead period will effect the spread type teams. This needs to be looked at year end to see how extending the dead period affected overall teams QB passing attempts and receiving yards for 2008. Will fewer scholarships be offered for QB's, Receivers, Safeties, and Cornerbacks due to lack of production?

Anyone who is associated with the spread knows that 7/7 is crucial. even August scrimmages are solely dedicated to QB/WR timing. It is a mad dash to begin the season with confidence in that timing. Will the lack of time to prepare force spread coaches to revert to traditional running offenses? I don't think so. Will the lack of time affect QB/WR's prospectability? I don't think so. I think it will compress the abilities of the athletes and coaches and force them to more with less upping the ante' yet again.

The RB's get left behind in this scenerio. The very reason Florida's RB coach is now at UT. He stated that because Florida ran the spread he couldn't recruit any quality RB's. Hence his move to TN. However, I see TN utilysing the spread in the near future as well. This is a two edged sword for RB's. Most HS programs are ground game formats with some form of the WingT in place.These RB's have wonderful careers with 30-40 carries per game only to find that in college they are not getting the ball...at least not like HS. There are exceptions. Most would proclaim these workhorse RB's are more attuned to college play simply because of their numbers. I have seen the opposite happen. I've watched workhorse RB's come up through the ranks learning on WingT variances and of course the WishBone only to be thrown into the spread in HS and forced to tow the line. However, I have witnessed that the spread is actually a RB's best choice. At least the intuitive style RB's. The daylight in the spread formation is not very often where it is designed to be forcing the RB to use other measures. These are tools that cannot be taught but that are inherit in true intuitive style RB's. This style of running is frowned on in under center applications. Most coaches...including Fulmer want North/South runners. Hit the hole and follow the block. That is of course great dicipline but when thrown into a spread situation this style running is thrown out the window. Many say RB's are no longer needed...at least not in the traditional format. That the spread with it's quick strike format is so superior to traditional running offenses that it has transformed the game. Many feel the spread to be a fad soon to fade into yet a new fad but I am here to say differently. Originally, I was not an advocate of the spread. In fact I hated it. I felt it was RB suicide. That was a few years ago and now I am pro spread. In the 60's and 70's we longed for a QB who could thread the needle. It was not a common commodity at the HS level. Now, we long to see 3 yards and a cloud of dust because good RB's are not a dime a dozen any longer. I conclude by saying that great RB's can come from spread programs and a smart coach can utilyse this offense to be a cure all. But it will tax the RB. It begs to create a different breed of RB. A breed of RB's that RB's want to be in the first place. The dicipline of the WingT is essential for RB training but the freedom of the Spread will set a RB free. A good coach will understand both.

The spread is a run offense and the quarterback better be as good a runner as any running back. In fact you better have 2 QB's. If you do not have a great running QB you are in the wrong offense.Ever heard of the shotgun wing-T,there are teams that run this offense. Most teams that run the spread do so to run the ball. Spread people out to run the ball. Check most high school's stats and you will see this is true.

you are correct about the wing t coming from the single wing.

a spread team that is in shot gun and running more than they throw is a single wing offense, they just do not use the direct snap to other backs. this is not a new concept, just a new name. (spread)

i think the wing t is an effective offense but you have to be committed to it. i think most coaches dont run it in larger schools because the wing t is not a "fan friendly" offense. most fans want to see the ball in the air and not the FB trap or belly which is essential for the wing t.