Wing-T in 5A football

The only problem is if you do NOT throw to those 4 receivers you tend to get shut down. Especially when you have lost what was probably the best O-line in the state.

I have faith, but faith does not replace a passing game to go along with a great run game.

LOD -

What percentage of plays did Riverdale throw the ball last year? I really have no clue.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem is if you do NOT throw to those 4 receivers you tend to get shut down. Especially when you have lost what was probably the best O-line in the state.

I have faith, but faith does not replace a passing game to go along with a great run game.

not only did riverdale not throw, their qb could not throw and other teams knew it.

teams knew that he may get lucky now and then, but to hurt them with the pass-he did not have the ability to do that, so it was 8 men in the box, stay home and keep it close.

i agree LOD, your o-line was the best i have ever seen in high school as a whole and losing ALL of them may put you guys in a predicament that will be very hard to adjust to no matter what you run. it would be nice if a couple of those guys were juniors last year to help bring the young guys along this year.

Very good point. Nobody is being critical, we are just stating the obvious.

LOD -

What percentage of plays did Riverdale throw the ball last year? I really have no clue.

'If' we threw twice in one game I considered it a MASSIVE passing attack night. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Thing is when we threw to Verge when he was in playing TE BOTH times it went for TD's. The night we got beat by WC he did not get a ball thrown to him at all.

I will agree that Coach Hawkins set high standards, but the standard for linemen was always HIGH at R'dale.

The main thing that will hurt us is the fact we NEVER got way up on ANYBODY for the last couple of years so the backups did NOT get much game experience. This combined with a lack of JV games everybody lacked last year is gonna hurt the entire Region this year.

So your opinion is that 99% of the men in the stands has any idea what they are looking at? NOW THATS FUNNY!!

Also, you dont thing that team have coaches at an even better vantage point than the fans? Wow, that would make you clueless indeed! Tell you what, if you think plays or play calling wins and loses games.........you are REALLY clueless! Try this on for size dad...........blocking, tackling, taught through fundamental practice and performed by better players...........thats what wins. In 100% of the games, what plays called when on the HS level probalby accounts for maybe 10% of the total outcomes. Most games thay you "experts" in the stands see.........is not AT ALL what is really happening!

Good Grief.............since I drive a car.......does that make me a nascar driver? Since I fish, could I compete on the Bassmaster Elite tour????????????? I saw an airplane once...........am I a pilot??????????????

Get a life buddy............you have no idea.

The majority of the male fans in the stands understand the game. It's against the rules for our coaches to be in the box during games. I guess the OC in the box in college is irrelevant to play calling in your view. In a tied game between two superior teams vying for a conference championship...yes, I think play calling is everything and is exactly what will win or lose the game. Many things win games...blocking and tackling being just a couple of them. If the game I see is not really happening then by all means tell me where the game is being played.

It you want to hack on me at least don't make yourself look stupid in the process.

I don't care what offense you run, if you are not balanced and can make adjustments you will get beat. Riverdale proved this point the last two years. Congrats to both Smyrna, and Wilson Central for making adjustments.

Amen! The 2 most important words in football...Balance and Adjustment. Enough said.

You can make adjustments that are very sound, but if you are playing a team with superior athletes than yours, it isn't really going to matter how you adjust. I have seen it happen more than once....fellows in the right spots to make the plays, but they aren't quick enough or big enough to compensate for the athlete in front of them.

I have stayed off of this thread as long as I could... First of all the reason Riverdale has lost in the playoffs the last two years is because they didn't show up to play they over-looked Smyrna two years ago and they were looking ahead to Smyrna last season... I have talked to some of their players and they admitted that. In Coffee County the last decade we have ran both the wing-t and the spread... the wing-t works MUCH MUCH better for us... the wing-t when ran correctly is a very powerful offense... two years ago we had two runningbacks with over 1,000 yards rushing and a quarterback with 1,500 yards passing, last season we were very close to having three runners with over 1,000 yards and one of them had 1,800... you can win a state championship at any level running the wing-t if you have the horses and it is run correctly.... after saying all of that, the wing-t is not my favorite offense, my favorite offense is the west-coast offense but for high school football the wing-t is as good an offense as any and better than most.

The majority of the male fans in the stands understand the game. It's against the rules for our coaches to be in the box during games. I guess the OC in the box in college is irrelevant to play calling in your view. In a tied game between two superior teams vying for a conference championship...yes, I think play calling is everything and is exactly what will win or lose the game. Many things win games...blocking and tackling being just a couple of them. If the game I see is not really happening then by all means tell me where the game is being played.

It you want to hack on me at least don't make yourself look stupid in the process.

What have you been smoking? Most people have no idea about the ins and outs of football! Are you that insane? And since when are coaches not allowed in the box? Are you nuts? And are we talking about college??????????? NO!

Everything being equal, sure, a play call here or there can make a difference..........but SELDOM is everything equal.

Not allowed in the box..........maybe thats why your team doesnt win many..........they dont even have an eye in the sky!

You can make adjustments that are very sound, but if you are playing a team with superior athletes than yours, it isn't really going to matter how you adjust. I have seen it happen more than once....fellows in the right spots to make the plays, but they aren't quick enough or big enough to compensate for the athlete in front of them.

Well said. Superior athletes equals wins if all other things are equal.

Your point is valid, however Riverdale beat both Smyrna (2006), and Wilson Central (2007) handily during the regular season, and were beaten during the playoffs. Anyone who attended both of those games will tell you that we did not make adjustments. Having superior athletes had nothing to do with it.