State of Oak Ridge Football

bbulldog

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that Bearden had 95 players at the scrimmage last night and OR had 41. So before Stevens or his family gets on here and blames it on everyone being in spring sports.....I'm pretty sure Bearden has the same number of spring sports as Oak Ridge. The good news is that the equipment budget can be cut in half.

Ole Dad

Neeaaah ha ha the plot thickens! That sneaky bunch at Powell did this just so Stevens would look bad. They're all ganging up on him. As if he can't screw-up bad enough all by himself.

Before maryville started its run in 1997, high school football in tennessee was all about oak ridge. What has happen! It has gone down hill in the last 2 years. After i saw stevens act the way he did at the end of the clinton game last year i had a ideal of what was wrong. Then what happened this week leaves no doubt. if i was a oak ridge backer i would be worried right now. oak ridge has gone from great history to the laughing stock of east tn football. how can you forget to call other teams coach and check and see if everything is still a go. wonder what will happen this year when clinton beats oak ridge. go dragons.

I understand that Bearden had 95 players at the scrimmage last night and OR had 41. So before Stevens or his family gets on here and blames it on everyone being in spring sports.....I'm pretty sure Bearden has the same number of spring sports as Oak Ridge. The good news is that the equipment budget can be cut in half.

Ole Dad

So does anyone have any info or details on how the scrimmage went besides numbers of players? Trying to get info from outside OR is extremely difficult.

So does anyone have any info or details on how the scrimmage went besides numbers of players? Trying to get info from outside OR is extremely difficult.

Both teams looked very nonathletic or unathletic or however you say that. Not much speed on either side. OR's offence was horrible. I know at least one running back did not play. I hope they have more because as tough as the guys were who ran, they just arnt very fast. The QBs looked okay to me. Neither one was great. #7 is still the best one. I hope some of our receivers are in track. The O-Line looked decent at times and not so good at times. I guess some or all of this is to be expected in a spring scrimmage. I hope we have a good field goal kicker and a heck of a defense if this spring was any indicator of what our offence will be like.

The defense looked pretty good. Defense is always ahead of offence at this point I think. The D looked more aggressive than last year. There was a lot of moving aroudn before the snap. I dont know if it will do good, but it looked pretty neat. Bearden did not move the ball at all on the defense, but Bearden is not very good. They are not even close to the team they had last year. They will struggle, even in that upper east tennessee weak region.

I can't say I'm very optimistic about this year. Our region is tough, and right now, I don't know for sure that we coudl beat anybody. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the guys that are out make that much of a difference. Time will tell.

And yes, the difference in numbers was very noticeable.

Ok first off offense is spelled with an s just like defense, not a c. Secondly, Bearden had alot of guys out also, Including their top two running backs & their starting QB.

You are right they probably wont be as strong as last year & its just spring plenty of time for improvement by both teams. As far as your comment about the upper east weak region, you guys say that every year & granted your region is very tough but that doesnt make this one weak. Last season everyone said that your #5 team Mcminn could beat our #1 Bearden. But, through 3 play-off games Bearden vs your very tough region....the score was Bearden 93 Tough guys 14....how you like that. You need a run down? 35-0 vs #4 Ooltewah, 30-0 vs #2 Willy Blount(they stomped all over you guys on Blankenship), 28-14 vs #1 Farragut (another Sterling performance on Blankenship). So much for that region being so tough, hey when was trhe last time a team from that great region won the state?

Ok first off offense is spelled with an s just like defense, not a c. Secondly, Bearden had alot of guys out also, Including their top two running backs & their starting QB.

You are right they probably wont be as strong as last year & its just spring plenty of time for improvement by both teams. As far as your comment about the upper east weak region, you guys say that every year & granted your region is very tough but that doesnt make this one weak. Last season everyone said that your #5 team Mcminn could beat our #1 Bearden. But, through 3 play-off games Bearden vs your very tough region....the score was Bearden 93 Tough guys 14....how you like that. You need a run down? 35-0 vs #4 Ooltewah, 30-0 vs #2 Willy Blount(they stomped all over you guys on Blankenship), 28-14 vs #1 Farragut (another Sterling performance on Blankenship). So much for that region being so tough, hey when was trhe last time a team from that great region won the state?

I could not have said it better myself coach1076.....I did see a lot that needs improvment from Bearden. But, it is spring practice. When we get our speed back from the track program, look out.

Neither team was very impressive. But, if this was a game, the Bulldogs would have came out on top.

I watched a little bit of the scrimmage at Bearden, I did not see all of it..here is what I saw: The defense was average, but there was some good tackling, and they did not allow Bearden to score, but they got to get stronger up front or these tough region teams will be hard to stop. The offense was weak, QBs were having a hard time getting time to throw and the running backs are small and not very fast, the offensive line was leaky, poor on pass protection and run blocking both. I would say # 7 should be the starter, but he needs a stronger supporting cast around him. The lone Bearden TD was an interception thrown by # 11 returned for a score, and later a safety, making the score 9-0 Bearden, what I saw. Bearden definately is not the team they were last year, but you can tell that year had a positive effect on the numbers they had out, around 95 I heard. They had a baseball game and soccer game the same night, so I am not sure who they have from that. They will be a 6-4 or 7-3 team this year, but might be a lot better in 2009. Oak Ridge had several hurt, not dressed, some out for track, and baseball, not sure how many or if they will be of help this fall. This is not a typical Oak Ridge team of the early 2000s, numbers are down, not much speed, not a lot of enthusiam either. They need to really work hard in the weight room in the off season, and work on passing with recievers and QBs working together to improve timing and catching the ball, way too many drops, and find a consistent running back to have a chance to play 500 ball this year. Coaches need to check the hallways and be trying to get out kids that might help, play as many young players as they can. Work hard on the JV and Freshman Programs to try to have better years in 09 and 10. The numbers need to be up at least 20-30 before August. The schedule is tough, this region is tough, so you can't not prepare or you are toast in the fall. This is a crossroads year for Oak Ridge, I hope the coaches and the kids work hard to be better then what they looked like Wednesday. I also strongly suggest that the Administration take a stronger interest in the program and if next year is not good, they need to evaluate the program and make decisions from there, unless this is what they want, which is not Oak Ridge Football. They need to quit sticking their heads in the sand and pay attention, if Oak Ridge Football continues to decline, I would lay as much of it or more at their feet as well as coaches...in closing, I heard one guy say standing along the fence last Wednesday night that "Bearden looked like Oak Ridge and Oak Ridge looked like Bearden" (the way it used to be)...