Private/Public Split Debate

beavo5

This might sound harsh, but I don't feel sorry for the kids that went there to play football. The kids should be there for the education. That to me sums up this whole debate on recruiting and open zoned/ private schools. Parents are more interested in moving their child to a good sports program than to a school that will best educate their child. No Sir...not sorry at all. And to the parents that have their child in a private/ open zoned public school just because of the sports program....SHAME ON YOU.

Old Pirate says, there is a place for both......... It kinda sounds as if you don't have a clue the positive effect sports can have on kids.

Yes, they need education and OP believes it's there in the public system as well as the privates. It boils down to 1 question, do the kids want to get it? I for 1, get tired of hearing....... oh, the public schools don't educate. "Bull snot" OP has to watch out for the regulators, kinda like the moonshiners always on the lookout. Hopefully, SHAME ON YOU, is a mom.

SPORTS, My friend also...... educates players and fans alike.......

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote name='supersteve17' date='Apr 16 2008 - 06:37 AM' post='826762497']

I suspect that as many of these kids will go to public schools as wind up at privates. Just my hunch.

OP This is the statement that I was referring to and I believe SSteve will be correct, that many of those kids will wind up back in public schools. Then my question is this WHY did they leave the public school system in the first place? Answner; a sports progam and not for the education.

Private school posters will post till their blue in the face, that private schools do not have an advantage in their sports programs because they don't recruit. I believe that most privates don't recruit, but they don't have to if they have a winning sports program. Some Moms and Dads will do whatever it takes, go where ever they have to, to make sure little Suzy/Jr. get in a winning sports program. Remember, in the movie "Build it and they will come".

I agree that sports are great for the kids and yes it can teach players so many things about life in general. But when we show our kids to do whatever it takes to win, like bending the rules, or cheating then I have little tolerence or respect for the program or the parents that knowingly went along for the ride.

I am not ANTI-Sports at all, But I am not a win at all cost parent either. Some of these parents went to Temple for the wrong reason a better sports program. So no I don't feel sorry for Temple or the parents.

I suspect that as many of these kids will go to public schools as wind up at privates. Just my hunch.

OP This is the statement that I was referring to and I believe SSteve will be correct, that many of those kids will wind up back in public schools. Then my question is this WHY did they leave the public school system in the first place? Answner; a sports progam and not for the education.

Private school posters will post till their blue in the face, that private schools do not have an advantage in their sports programs because they don't recruit. I believe that most privates don't recruit, but they don't have to if they have a winning sports program. Some Moms and Dads will do whatever it takes, go where ever they have to, to make sure little Suzy/Jr. get in a winning sports program. Remember, in the movie "Build it and they will come".

I agree that sports are great for the kids and yes it can teach players so many things about life in general. But when we show our kids to do whatever it takes to win, like bending the rules, or cheating then I have little tolerence or respect for the program or the parents that knowingly went along for the ride.

I am not ANTI-Sports at all, But I am not a win at all cost parent either. Some of these parents went to Temple for the wrong reason a better sports program. So no I don't feel sorry for Temple or the parents.

I understand that perspective and tend to agree with it. Perhaps it would be better to say (as you have stated) that you do not feel sorry for the parents in this situation. As usual, the kids have been the innocent (or unwise) victims. They are the ones who will have to sit out for 12 months!

Old Pirate obviously took it a little different than you intended.

It's just difficult to see the privates or anyone else put down our school systems as a whole. Yes, OP does understand and know how you feel. SP is currently feeling the effects of some how went up the road to a better facility and some think better program. Well OP can say ......

"SP HAS WON A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP IN BASEBALL"

OP is one who has NEVER SPENT A DOLLAR and won't with the business parents who fail to support the community school in which they have a busines.

As Rhett Butler said in the movie Gone With The Wind.......

Frankly my dear I don't give a ding dong about their lively hood.

Just as soon they moved their business too..............

OP realizes this post has taken a huge side step, but it is a shame we just have way too many fence jumpers in todays society.

From what I hear 2 have transferred to Silverdale and 1 to Grace. A couple of others are looking at Silverdale. I'm not sure many will end up back at public schools

Old Pirate says, there is a place for both......... It kinda sounds as if you don't have a clue the positive effect sports can have on kids.

Yes, they need education and OP believes it's there in the public system as well as the privates. It boils down to 1 question, do the kids want to get it? I for 1, get tired of hearing....... oh, the public schools don't educate. "Bull snot" OP has to watch out for the regulators, kinda like the moonshiners always on the lookout. Hopefully, SHAME ON YOU, is a mom.

SPORTS, My friend also...... educates players and fans alike.......

There certainly is education in public schools. Unfortunately, it's not good education. That's not to say that all public schools are terrible places to learn. Oak Ridge, for instance, is a fantastic school, much better than a lot of private school, and frankly it's probably better than some universities. However, in general, the public school system is broken, and it's a shame because poor education is what got this country in this mess in the first place. Of course, you don't have to believe me. If you don't, you're an idiot though. But then again, it sounds like you went to a public school...

There certainly is education in public schools. Unfortunately, it's not good education. That's not to say that all public schools are terrible places to learn. Oak Ridge, for instance, is a fantastic school, much better than a lot of private school, and frankly it's probably better than some universities. However, in general, the public school system is broken, and it's a shame because poor education is what got this country in this mess in the first place. Of course, you don't have to believe me. If you don't, you're an idiot though. But then again, it sounds like you went to a public school...

I totally disagree. Some public schools are broken...but not all. Some are very good. In many...you can get a good education if you want it.

It's a generalization. There are exceptions to all generalizations. Good students will learn no matter where they go; however, they will learn better in better schools. That much is obvious, of course. The concern is the poor students. They must be taught; otherwise you end up like the country we have right now. America is uneducated. Approximately 90% of the people I meet are idiots. That's not an exaggeration. If anything, I'm underestimating the problem. The blame isn't solely on the public school system. Frankly, I haven't been too impressed with the majority of the private schools, either. However, the public school system "educates" the majority of this country, and so when the majority of the country ends up being idiots, clearly most of the blame should go to the public school system.

It's a generalization. There are exceptions to all generalizations. Good students will learn no matter where they go; however, they will learn better in better schools. That much is obvious, of course. The concern is the poor students. They must be taught; otherwise you end up like the country we have right now. America is uneducated. Approximately 90% of the people I meet are idiots. That's not an exaggeration. If anything, I'm underestimating the problem. The blame isn't solely on the public school system. Frankly, I haven't been too impressed with the majority of the private schools, either. However, the public school system "educates" the majority of this country, and so when the majority of the country ends up being idiots, clearly most of the blame should go to the public school system.

It must be nice to be so smart...or think so. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Old Pirate says you must be a friend of my wife. Have you two been exchanging notes on the internet? OP doesn't take likely to someone calling him an idiot, unless you know me a little better. Sounds as if you are the ALL KNOWING one. Curious just how many schools do you know anything about. OP says............... the # 1 problem today starts at home.

Old Pirate has his doc/degree, how bout you? OP thinks the wife needs

to quit talking to you. Does your wife or boy friend know of your internet experience? OP says it would be a save bet.. you are known as Goober around your area. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />