Private/Public Split Debate

beavo5

Right off the bat, I am a public supporter and always will be. But, two years ago I was living in Hamilton County while working in a neighboring county's public school system, we had two boys attending HC public schools with a daughter about a year away. My wife and I had several discussions about sending her to a private. It had went against everything I believed in but after several years of dealing with the unbelievable burden that our boys had dealt with in HC public schools there was no way my daughter was going. Luckily one incident at the school was bad enough for my wife to say enough was enough and we moved to the county in which I was employed. My wife loves the school system, our middle son loves school for the first time, and my daughter has a kindegarten teacher whom she adores and has progressed quite satisfactorily. My daughter this year has played softball, basketball, and soccer and seems to have a knack for the former two.

Since our ordeal I have came to a new understanding of why some parents send their kids to private schools. I have several friends who send their children to privates. What I have noticed though, the parents that tend to send their children to private schools tend to be involved in the development of their child academically and athletically. I kow that their are public school parents that are just as involved, I'm one but I think the percentage is much higher in a private school than a public.

I have also heard the same stories in the Valley that OP has referred to on occasion. I don't know what to make of them. I understand the arguments Grunt makes also. I must admit to that I have read some posts that did not seem very Christian at times on both sides of the fence. But I would also like for my friend's and family's children to compete against one another without ever saying that one had an unfair advantage over the other because of where the PARENTS decided that child should attend school.

Am I Nieve? Well if you knew me that answer would almost certainly be yes, but I just don't have the heart to tell my cousin's daughter that she can't play with my daughter, advantage or not. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or, you could substitute public, where you have private, and

make an equally good argument. You're arguing the same

thing in reverse.

Give TC only the surrounding counties to pick from...Sumner,

Wilson, Smith, Macon. Just 4, you can keep the other 5, and

I'll see you in the 'Boro on a regular basis, while watching the

trophy case stretch down the hallway.

Grunt,

Your argument ASSUMES that privates "Pick" athletes. That isn't the case. If we gave TC a wider zone but the same amount of slots for students, and they had to take kids RANDOMLY from the wider zone, then they would have no greater chance of getting good athletes than they do now. Less of a chance probably as TC has a great tradition.

Do you not see that your assumption is that the small privates cheat?

Mentally challenged. Ha!

Reaction says speak for yourself.

Old Pirate says react, We've spared with words many times before and OP truely wonders what sport you played or were you a sorority sister?

OP knows all too well about what licks to the head can cause and as far attempting to hurt OP feelings, well it won't happen. Maybe, we should just suit up and have a wrestling match. OP would put money on the old timer, don't forget OP has plenty of practice with the wife. Heck....... OP would probably let The Grunt handle his light work. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Old Pirate says react, We've spared with words many times before and OP truely wonders what sport you played or were you a sorority sister?

OP knows all too well about what licks to the head can cause and as far attempting to hurt OP feelings, well it won't happen. Maybe, we should just suit up and have a wrestling match. OP would put money on the old timer, don't forget OP has plenty of practice with the wife. Heck....... OP would probably let The Grunt handle his light work. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Haha. You can find me in the gym at Boyd somewhere. Look closely and you will see me. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Grunt,

Your argument ASSUMES that privates "Pick" athletes. That isn't the case. If we gave TC a wider zone but the same amount of slots for students, and they had to take kids RANDOMLY from the wider zone, then they would have no greater chance of getting good athletes than they do now. Less of a chance probably as TC has a great tradition.

Do you not see that your assumption is that the small privates cheat?

The Grunt doesn't mince words much. That is exactly what I

am assuming. You are assuming just the opposite. We're not

going to agree, and we both know it. He said, he said. There is

no law that says when a private draws from multiple counties,

that they have to pick one scholar for every athlete. I would have to be the most naive person on the planet to think they

would pass over a star athlete in favor of a 4.0 non- athlete,

given a choice with X amount of slots to fill.

TC does have a great tradition vs privates & publics alike. But

just take this past year for example. At the beginning of spring

practice, our starting QB was lost for the season. Had to start

someone who had never played QB at all. A Sophomore, as well. He did rather well considering his lack of experience. Early

in the season, we lost our best RB, for most of the rest of the year. He came back for the playoffs, but not 100%. There were

other injuries as well. Now, had we had all these other counties

to draw from, think of the depth we could have had, and the difference that would have made. TC never has more than 25 - 30 players. A few critical injuries, and we have a problem.

And you are right, that is my assumption, no bones about it,

no sugar coating, etc.

Maybe you'll make a convert on here somewhere, but it won't

be old Grunt.

Having said all that, I still wish you well this season.

Or, you could substitute public, where you have private, and

make an equally good argument. You're arguing the same

thing in reverse.

Give TC only the surrounding counties to pick from...Sumner,

Wilson, Smith, Macon. Just 4, you can keep the other 5, and

I'll see you in the 'Boro on a regular basis, while watching the

trophy case stretch down the hallway.

You've been "in the 'Boro" far more frequently (at least in the championship game -- wherever is has been played) than ANY private school ever has. What I'm for is "leveling the playing field" for all these private schools against TC! They obviously need more counties from which to choose because of TC's superiority.

Yeah...and I guess you are "prejudiced" against DII schools. You think they have an advantage over you...right?

You know I am for NO classification. I've said it many times. The DII thing was legislated by the TSSAA's governing boards. The small private schools had NO voice in the matter. Most of the DII schools are dramatically different from the small Christian schools, but we competed against them for years -- still play some of them in the regular season. "You" (public schools) put them in a different class.

Oh PUHHLEASSE. steve why would you try to take this there.

Take it where?

You're right. Let's separate all of the public schools out because of those advantages. Let the privates stay where they are.

I will freely admit, that was a very snappy comeback! I like witty banter.

1. Simply put YES IT DOES. No matter where or why you getem you getem from a bigger selection.

2. If tution is too high for joe blow off the street to go to your school it is also too high for any trouble students or broken home children to attend. This is also an ADVANTAGE.

3. Your slap lying through your teeth to tell me BBS would turn away a 6'3' 200 lb freshman QB that runs a 4.7 and has a rocket arm and a 3.0 gpa only to accept the short little overweight kid with coke bottle glasses and a 4.0 gpa

If high tuition turns away students then you have plenty enough $$$.

4. Trying to turn this into something racial makes you and stevie both sound like desperate idiots.

I said nothing about race. It's called a "pun" -- a play on words. If this is turned into "something racial" it is done in your mind, not mine.

No need to resort to name calling. It makes you look "desperate."

You've been "in the 'Boro" far more frequently (at least in the championship game -- wherever is has been played) than ANY private school ever has. What I'm for is "leveling the playing field" for all these private schools against TC! They obviously need more counties from which to choose because of TC's superiority.

Old Pirate says TC & SP have the "1" thing that the privates don't understand. Small publics like TC & SP normally have players that have been together since little leagues and develop the closeness that privates seldom duplicate.

Old Pirate says TC & SP have the "1" thing that the privates don't understand. Small publics like TC & SP normally have players that have been together since little leagues and develop the closeness that privates seldom duplicate.

Would that be an admission that public schools have an advantage over private schools?

You know I am for NO classification. I've said it many times. The DII thing was legislated by the TSSAA's governing boards. The small private schools had NO voice in the matter. Most of the DII schools are dramatically different from the small Christian schools, but we competed against them for years -- still play some of them in the regular season. "You" (public schools) put them in a different class.Take it where?I will freely admit, that was a very snappy comeback! I like witty banter.

I wasn't talking to you about the DII comment. I do know your stance.