Private/Public Split Debate

beavo5

First of all, that's not true. South Pitt won the state in 1994 and 1999 before the multiplier with all the ABC privates involved. Trousdale County won three state titles during the last 15 years. This does not even include the last two (after the multiplier) which were won by TC and SP.

Pretty easy to speculate, isn't it? We'll never know if your claim is true or not for sure because we DO have the multiplier. IMHO last year's South Pittsburg team was as good as any team that won the class A state title the last 15 years. How's that for speculation?

By the way, there are ninety-five counties in Tennessee, not nine.

So youre saying they should have them from 95 counties or that only having them from 9 instead of 1 like most publics doesn't give them an advantage?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So youre saying they should have them from 95 counties or that only having them from 9 instead of 1 like most publics doesn't give them an advantage?

YOU are the one who said that privates get players from "all over the state." This simply is not true. I know you were exaggerating for effect. So am I.

Personally, I don't think it makes that much difference WHERE you get your students from assuming they are not screened for athletic prowess or that they are not illegal in some other way (like being too old). Is there something in the water of some counties that makes their athletes more special than others? I refuse to believe that kids in Blount County are better athletes than kids in Madison County, for instance. I believe the difference is in coaching, emphasis, support from administration and community, etc. In other words, I believe Jackson Northside could have 11 state championships in football at the 4A level if they had the will to duplicate the conditions that exist in Maryville. I don't think they will, but I believe they could.

BTW, did my other points change your mind? LOL! You didn't respond to them.

YOU are the one who said that privates get players from "all over the state." This simply is not true. I know you were exaggerating for effect. So am I.

Personally, I don't think it makes that much difference WHERE you get your students from assuming they are not screened for athletic prowess or that they are not illegal in some other way (like being too old). Is there something in the water of some counties that makes their athletes more special than others? I refuse to believe that kids in Blount County are better athletes than kids in Madison County, for instance. I believe the difference is in coaching, emphasis, support from administration and community, etc. In other words, I believe Jackson Northside could have 11 state championships in football at the 4A level if they had the will to duplicate the conditions that exist in Maryville. I don't think they will, but I believe they could.

BTW, did my other points change your mind? LOL! You didn't respond to them.

I agree I don't think kids from one county are always better athletes than those from others , thus proving my point. EVENTUALLY if you can only have the kids from your county on your team you are going to have a down year or two. BUT , when allowed to draw kids from everywhere , Alcoa , Maryville open zones allow them to have players from all over blount county and half of Knox county. FCS says they getem from 9 counties . I guarantee your boys down there at Boyd don't all come from inside a 50 mile radius nor does Goodpasture or any other private.

You pick any County in the state and pick your top 25 ballplayers in that county and coachem up. Then give me ANY 9 counties to pick mine from and tell me who will win. Again I know this is exageratted some but it is basically what is going on.

Privates and( those 2 out of hundreds of public schools) alcoa and maryville that has success consistently Get a slew of transfers and out of county , zone ,area whatever freshmen every year. THAT IS AN ADVANTAGE , and it DOES happen , like it or not , call it cheating or not it is an advantage.

. . . I guarantee your boys down there at Boyd don't all come from inside a 50 mile radius nor does Goodpasture or any other private . . .

50-mile radius? That would mean that CPA would be getting kids from places like Murfreesboro, Lebanon or Portland. Goodpasture would be getting kids from Clarksville and Spring Hill. Do you really believe that is true? Do you have any idea how long it would take to drive 50 miles one-way to get to those schools?

50-mile radius? That would mean that CPA would be getting kids from places like Murfreesboro, Lebanon or Portland. Goodpasture would be getting kids from Clarksville and Spring Hill. Do you really believe that is true? Do you have any idea how long it would take to drive 50 miles one-way to get to those schools?

Yes I believe that.

It would take about an hour to drive that far give or take, traffic being a factor.

Hey for a quality private school education and a chance for an athletic title I'd drive that far ...........especially if a booster was giving me gas money......................................that's a joke by the way.

I agree I don't think kids from one county are always better athletes than those from others , thus proving my point. EVENTUALLY if you can only have the kids from your county on your team you are going to have a down year or two. BUT , when allowed to draw kids from everywhere , Alcoa , Maryville open zones allow them to have players from all over blount county and half of Knox county. FCS says they getem from 9 counties . I guarantee your boys down there at Boyd don't all come from inside a 50 mile radius nor does Goodpasture or any other private.

You pick any County in the state and pick your top 25 ballplayers in that county and coachem up. Then give me ANY 9 counties to pick mine from and tell me who will win. Again I know this is exageratted some but it is basically what is going on.

Privates and( those 2 out of hundreds of public schools) alcoa and maryville that has success consistently Get a slew of transfers and out of county , zone ,area whatever freshmen every year. THAT IS AN ADVANTAGE , and it DOES happen , like it or not , call it cheating or not it is an advantage.

Bighurt has already addressed it but I would be willing to bet a substantial sum of money (if I were a betting man) that Boyd Buc does not have a SINGLE student that drives from 50 miles away to come to school on Bonnieway Drive. That would be as far away as Athens, Monteagle, Copperhill, and Cartersville, GA. That is a ridiculous assertion. Boarding schools may have students from that far away, but BBS is not a boarding school. (My kids said sometimes it was a "boring" school, but that's another matter! That was just a joke Baldcoach!)

You have created a straw man with your "you pick any county in the state..." example. It might be relevant if a given school screened students for athleic ability. BBS does not screen students for athletic prowess. (If she does, there needs to be a re-evaluation of the recruiting coordinator!) If athletic ability is not taken into account, your example/argument beomes irrelevant.

Look, I think you are a Cosby fan, correct? (If not, I'm not trying to offend you, just to make a point.) In 1996 BBS had the best basketball team she has ever had. They beat a young Cosby team in the sub-state after trailing at halftime by a pretty good margin. They went on to win the state title. Not a single one of those players ever played college ball at any level. The next season, BBS lost the region finals and travelled to Cosby for the sub-state. It was one of the most electric, loud basketball atmospheres I have ever been in. The Eagles demolished my Bucs and went on to the state tourney. Since then, how many state tourneys has Cosby been to -- three or four? I'm not sure, maybe it's more. BBS has never been back. IN fact, they haven't even gotten to the sub-state/sectional level. Does that mean that Cosby has better athletes than BBS? Do they have unfair advantages in basketball? I'm not knocking Cosby or BBS for that matter. I'm just pointing out that there are advantages and disadvantages everywhere. Apparently, based on success and results, Cosby has advantages over BBS in basketball. Something needs to be done about it by the TSSAA!!!! (Exaggerated for effect.)

Bighurt has already addressed it but I would be willing to bet a substantial sum of money (if I were a betting man) that Boyd Buc does not have a SINGLE student that drives from 50 miles away to come to school on Bonnieway Drive. That would be as far away as Athens, Monteagle, Copperhill, and Cartersville, GA. That is a ridiculous assertion. Boarding schools may have students from that far away, but BBS is not a boarding school. (My kids said sometimes it was a "boring" school, but that's another matter! That was just a joke Baldcoach!)

You have created a straw man with your "you pick any county in the state..." example. It might be relevant if a given school screened students for athleic ability. BBS does not screen students for athletic prowess. (If she does, there needs to be a re-evaluation of the recruiting coordinator!) If athletic ability is not taken into account, your example/argument beomes irrelevant.

Look, I think you are a Cosby fan, correct? (If not, I'm not trying to offend you, just to make a point.) In 1996 BBS had the best basketball team she has ever had. They beat a young Cosby team in the sub-state after trailing at halftime by a pretty good margin. They went on to win the state title. Not a single one of those players ever played college ball at any level. The next season, BBS lost the region finals and travelled to Cosby for the sub-state. It was one of the most electric, loud basketball atmospheres I have ever been in. The Eagles demolished my Bucs and went on to the state tourney. Since then, how many state tourneys has Cosby been to -- three or four? I'm not sure, maybe it's more. BBS has never been back. IN fact, they haven't even gotten to the sub-state/sectional level. Does that mean that Cosby has better athletes than BBS? Do they have unfair advantages in basketball? I'm not knocking Cosby or BBS for that matter. I'm just pointing out that there are advantages and disadvantages everywhere. Apparently, based on success and results, Cosby has advantages over BBS in basketball. Something needs to be done about it by the TSSAA!!!! (Exaggerated for effect.)

Maybe 50 miles is a bit of a stretch but it is still plausible and I would bet that it happens way more than you think.

I don't care if you screen them for athleticism or not if I can draw kids from every county surrounding me all I have to do is have 1 or 2 good seasons and I have kids beating my door down to play for me from all over. soooooo if I can legally let them in the door I have an advantage.

Since Cosby beat BBS in that game we had the best 10 year run in school history WITHOUT winning a title. We have 2 silver balls and 4 -5 trips to the boro. Do we have an advantage NO, we had what I have been trying to tell you schools should have "a good run". We havent been to the boro since 2006 and doesn't look very good for the near future either. Why? Our small town doesn't produce athletes at breakneck speed and we can't getem from another county like privates can when thier cupboard goes dry.

How do you think Boyd-Buchanan would have done in basketball the last 10 years with Temple, Chattanooga Christian and Grace not being in the Class A district? I'd say BB would be well ahead of the area Class A public schools (Whitwell, South Pittsburg, Copper Basin, Sale Creek, Hardy, 21st) except one, Arts and Sciences.

Maybe 50 miles is a bit of a stretch but it is still plausible and I would bet that it happens way more than you think.

I don't care if you screen them for athleticism or not if I can draw kids from every county surrounding me all I have to do is have 1 or 2 good seasons and I have kids beating my door down to play for me from all over. soooooo if I can legally let them in the door I have an advantage.

Since Cosby beat BBS in that game we had the best 10 year run in school history WITHOUT winning a title. We have 2 silver balls and 4 -5 trips to the boro. Do we have an advantage NO, we had what I have been trying to tell you schools should have "a good run". We havent been to the boro since 2006 and doesn't look very good for the near future either. Why? Our small town doesn't produce athletes at breakneck speed and we can't getem from another county like privates can when thier cupboard goes dry.

I understand that schools have "runs" like that (unless you are Alcoa! LOL!). We had one like that in the late eighties and early nineties in basketball. We had one like that in football in the last ten years or so. Neither run was anywhere near like any ten-year run made by Trousdale County, Alcoa, South Pitt, Riverdale, Maryville, Union City or any number of other public schools, even Cosby!

I am sure I do not understand all of Cosby's problems. I won't claim to know what frustrations, limitations, etc. you face. I would humbly and kindly suggest that you may not know what the situation is at most private, Christian schools either. You've had a better basketball run. We've had a better football run. Both may be coming to the end of a cycle. That doesn't mean we should throw out the baby with the bath water. We can't go out and "Presto" magically produce athletes any more than you can. Nobody is "beating our door down."

I do think I understand something of your frustrations. I have two siblings and two in-laws who teach and coach in small public schools in this state. I'm glad we both exist (public and private schools). Each kind of school serves an important purpose. I wish you and the Eagles the best.

How do you think Boyd-Buchanan would have done in basketball the last 10 years with Temple, Chattanooga Christian and Grace not being in the Class A district? I'd say BB would be well ahead of the area Class A public schools (Whitwell, South Pittsburg, Copper Basin, Sale Creek, Hardy, 21st) except one, Arts and Sciences.

Well, the only time we played South Pitt in recent memory (about four years ago) they beat us in the Region semis in our last year in class A. Our next to last year in class A 21st Century beat us twice. Sale Creek was very competitive with us during our last couple of years in class A. No offense, but Whitwell, Copper Basin and Hardy weren't very competitive with anyone the last few years except each other. Hardy was pretty good last season and the Bucs were down, so who knows? You didn't mention Lookout Valley, but I will. They pretty much owned us during the time I'm familiar with. We have beaten them a whopping twice in a row, both while we were in AA. CSAS has beaten us a few times in a row (at least three) even while we were in AA. All of these facts don't even take into account the recent success of Grace and the historical dominance of Temple and CCS over BBS in basketball (don't hate on me BBS fans -- just stating facts -- even if I don't like it!). We might or might not have been "well ahead" the last three years but we'll never know that, will we?

On this site's scoreboard, I looked up BB's record against the area Class A publics as 29-8 in the four years before the multiplier. I might have missed a few as I did it quickly. I don't think they were hurting except against the private schools, and I'd expect Temple, Grace and Chattanooga Christian to have stronger winning percentages.

On this site's scoreboard, I looked up BB's record against the area Class A publics as 29-8 in the four years before the multiplier. I might have missed a few as I did it quickly. I don't think they were hurting except against the private schools, and I'd expect Temple, Grace and Chattanooga Christian to have stronger winning percentages.

Those numbers are fairly accurate although I'm not sure that coacht has all the facts in place -- not his fault, just not sure if everything has been properly recorded. Frankly, most of those wins were against three or four of the public schools that, like I said earlier, haven't been very competitive with anyone except each other. There are areas of the state where the class A publics are notably better, like West Tennessee with Union City, Humboldt, Huntingdon, Trenton Peabody, Lake County, Middleton, West Carroll, etc., upper East Tennessee with Hancock County, Hampton, Cosby, Unaka, etc. and some areas of Middle Tennessee (Pickett County, Clarkrange, Perry County, etc.). My point is that if BBS had been in a different territory playing against thoise schools, I'm not sure how they would have faired overall. Jackson Christian, a similar sized and missioned school as BBS has not dominated by any stretch during the last ten years in West TN. The Bucs record against the public schools in basketball in this area does not prove that they have athletes running out of their ears.

I'm not sure what point you are making because to have winning records against most of those schools is frankly no big deal. I'm not making fun of or criticizing any of the kids or coaches at those schools by saying that. It's just true.