Private/Public Split Debate

beavo5

Should public and private schools be split?

I believe they should and here is my reasoning... Private schools can pull kids from anywhere they would like too and Public schools have to use what they got! Is it unfair? Yes very! Give public schools a chance to pull kids from wherever and the private schools will want to be split!

Why do private schools not want to be split from public schools?

Do they want an advantage or something? Or are they scared of the Division II private schools?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should public and private schools be split?

I believe they should and here is my reasoning... Private schools can pull kids from anywhere they would like too and Public schools have to use what they got! Is it unfair? Yes very! Give public schools a chance to pull kids from wherever and the private schools will want to be split!

Why do private schools not want to be split from public schools?

Do they want an advantage or something? Or are they scared of the Division II private schools?

Let me ask you a question then. Do you know there are two VERY successful public school programs that allow out of "zone" students? You do not have to live in the city, county or state to attend these public schools. There is a very nominal tuition applied (roughly 1/5th the ABC privates), but there is also zero oversight of tuition accounting like with privates.

Can you guess who they are (think VERY successful)? Were you aware of this? If so, why are you not outraged about their "advantages"?

ps - I'm a public supporter too.

Let me ask you a question then. Do you know there are two VERY successful public school programs that allow out of "zone" students? You do not have to live in the city, county or state to attend these public schools. There is a very nominal tuition applied (roughly 1/5th the ABC privates), but there is also zero oversight of tuition accounting like with privates.

Can you guess who they are (think VERY successful)? Were you aware of this? If so, why are you not outraged about their "advantages"?

PBandJ ya beat me to it. I was going to state this as well. I haven't seen beavo on the private/public debate forum much, but on the bball boards I did. Welcome to the everlasting argument beavo. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yes I do and am outraged about the one I know! Liberty! and I don't think I know the 2nd one you are talking about!

And thank you Reaction for welcoming me to this wonderful debate!

Maryville?

Bingo! That is one of them. Now the second school is literally 5 miles away. Hmmm - who could it be? (tongue firmly in cheek)

Maryville and Alcoa both employ a public school "benefit" in that they can make their own "zone" rules. Both schools are city run school systems. They make their own rules on attendance including whether someone lives in their respective cities proper (which is literally what the schools were chartered to do), the county, or the state. Yes, both have kids that live outside of their "city" areas. Yes, both have kids that do not reside in the county. In reality, any public school system can do this as seen in the past with the Riverdale zone transfers in Rutherford Co and Hillsboro in Davidson Co.

Now why in the world is everyone picking at privates with the last 8 combined 4A and 2A state championships have resided within 5 miles of each other over the last 4 years (and it doesn't stop at the last 4 years either)? IF all this hooting and hollering was about equality and fairness, then a fair system that regulated all inequalities would be put into place.

Bingo! That is one of them. Now the second school is literally 5 miles away. Hmmm - who could it be? (tongue firmly in cheek)

Maryville and Alcoa both employ a public school "benefit" in that they can make their own "zone" rules. Both schools are city run school systems. They make their own rules on attendance including whether someone lives in their respective cities proper (which is literally what the schools were chartered to do), the county, or the state. Yes, both have kids that live outside of their "city" areas. Yes, both have kids that do not reside in the county. In reality, any public school system can do this as seen in the past with the Riverdale zone transfers in Rutherford Co and Hillsboro in Davidson Co.

Now why in the world is everyone picking at privates with the last 8 combined 4A and 2A state championships have resided within 5 miles of each other over the last 4 years (and it doesn't stop at the last 4 years either)? IF all this hooting and hollering was about equality and fairness, then a fair system that regulated all inequalities would be put into place.

I hear you there! How can they get away with that? Are there no rules or regulations over that? I know you can get transfers as long as they sit out a recommended amount of time!

Except for a very few rural publics that are the only schools in their respective counties ALL publics are open zoned to some extent.

But even if they were NOT (and all of the ones in metro areas certainly are) the idea that the DI privates can go out and cherry pick athletes is simply not supportable.

1) They don't have the money

2) They emphasize many other things OVER athletics

3) It is illegal to recruit

4) The DII schools can offer financial aid legally, and philosophically they NEED to be the best at everything, so they have not only cherry picked the best athletes already, but they also cherry pick the cream of the crop from the DI privates

5) There just aren't very many kids out there who could and would go to a small private that aren't already in a small private...the idea that there is some huge untapped pool is false

But none of this matters since 90% of the public schools in the state are essentially open zoned.

I know you can get transfers as long as they sit out a recommended amount of time!

Let me ask you this. The statement you made above also applies to private school transfers. Why are you hard charging (other posts) the privates if you are able to rationalize (yeah - I saw your question about regulating) Alcoa and Maryville?

And to answer your regulating question, there is no "regulation" of public schools setting their zones. The primary goal of a public school is to educate - so they are allowed to set their attendance rules as they see fit (within federal/state regulations).

ps - Antwan doesn't like to hear the Alcoa and Maryville stuff because it invalidates his arguments. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Let me ask you this. The statement you made above also applies to private school transfers. Why are you hard charging (other posts) the privates if you are able to rationalize (yeah - I saw your question about regulating) Alcoa and Maryville?

And to answer your regulating question, there is no "regulation" of public schools setting their zones. The primary goal of a public school is to educate - so they are allowed to set their attendance rules as they see fit (within federal/state regulations).

ps - Antwan doesn't like to hear the Alcoa and Maryville stuff because it invalidates his arguments. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

To answer your question... I wasn't exactly rationalizing I know that is a "rule" and it has nothing at all to do with Alcoa and Maryville (I'm for neither school)! Private/magnet schools can HAND pick the kids they want most of them being athletes!!!