Private/Public Split Debate

beavo5

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you this. The statement you made above also applies to private school transfers. Why are you hard charging (other posts) the privates if you are able to rationalize (yeah - I saw your question about regulating) Alcoa and Maryville?

And to answer your regulating question, there is no "regulation" of public schools setting their zones. The primary goal of a public school is to educate - so they are allowed to set their attendance rules as they see fit (within federal/state regulations).

ps - Antwan doesn't like to hear the Alcoa and Maryville stuff because it invalidates his arguments. /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

What argument is that...oh spreaded one? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> Old Pirate loves this stuff. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yes watching would probably be your strong point. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

What argument is that...oh spreaded one? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> I actually love the moniker! How do I change to the Oh Spreaded One? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> I actually love the moniker! How do I change to the Oh Spreaded One? /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Just e-mail the coach...he can tell ya'. Of what argument are you referring? I have said for some time Alcoa has similar advantages. I don't think Maryville wins because of it. The larger the school...the less open or tuition paying athletes matter.

Except for a very few rural publics that are the only schools in their respective counties ALL publics are open zoned to some extent.

But even if they were NOT (and all of the ones in metro areas certainly are) the idea that the DI privates can go out and cherry pick athletes is simply not supportable.

1) They don't have the money

2) They emphasize many other things OVER athletics

3) It is illegal to recruit

4) The DII schools can offer financial aid legally, and philosophically they NEED to be the best at everything, so they have not only cherry picked the best athletes already, but they also cherry pick the cream of the crop from the DI privates

5) There just aren't very many kids out there who could and would go to a small private that aren't already in a small private...the idea that there is some huge untapped pool is false

But none of this matters since 90% of the public schools in the state are essentially open zoned.

Your point #1 drives me crazy!

MAYBE just MAYBE your school doesn't have much cash ............. but you being in the Chattanooga area I find it hard to believe. I'm not calling you a liar because I have never been to Boyd so I don't know , I just find it hard to believe.

All of the Knoxville area privates with the exception of TKA which is in sevier county has the BEST fascilities ,practice equipment etc. You have to have some $$$$ for that. One K-town private has only had sports for 4-5 years and has already surpassed all small area publics and most larger publics in quality of fascilities and competiteveness.

I watched a game at FCS a couple of years ago that place is like a small college fascility , There are 4 and 5A schools around here that don't have the fascilities they do.

Quality practice fascilities , equipment , weightroom etc. Makes for a HUGE competitive edge.

old24eagle,

Look at the facilities at most small D1 private schools like Boyd, CPA, DCA and Ezell before you post. These schools have don't have opulent facilities like MBA, Knox Webb, Baylor and MUS.

Most small D1 private school do not have tons of money whether you believe it or not. Most struggle to pay their bills while keeping tuition at a reasonable level.

Your point #1 drives me crazy!

MAYBE just MAYBE your school doesn't have much cash ............. but you being in the Chattanooga area I find it hard to believe. I'm not calling you a liar because I have never been to Boyd so I don't know , I just find it hard to believe.

All of the Knoxville area privates with the exception of TKA which is in sevier county has the BEST fascilities ,practice equipment etc. You have to have some $$$$ for that. One K-town private has only had sports for 4-5 years and has already surpassed all small area publics and most larger publics in quality of fascilities and competiteveness.

I watched a game at FCS a couple of years ago that place is like a small college fascility , There are 4 and 5A schools around here that don't have the fascilities they do.

Quality practice fascilities , equipment , weightroom etc. Makes for a HUGE competitive edge.

They (FCS) also have one of the worst football stadiums in the state. RBS' may be better. You are right about the weight rooms etc.

old24eagle,

Look at the facilities at most small D1 private schools like Boyd, CPA, DCA and Ezell before you post. These schools have don't have opulent facilities like MBA, Knox Webb, Baylor and MUS.

Most small D1 private school do not have tons of money whether you believe it or not. Most struggle to pay their bills while keeping tuition at a reasonable level.

I have ............. And the new K'town school is in our region and has the best fascilities in our region only having played sports for 4-5 seasons.WHY because they have $$$$$$$$ to build them.

I know the next words from baldy will be BBBButt you get all that FREE tax money ........BALONEY!! That tax money stops the minute you walk outside the school building. Virtually no tax money goes to support athletics in MOST public schools.

They (FCS) also have one of the worst football stadiums in the state. RBS' may be better. You are right about the weight rooms etc.

Gotta agree with that. At least at RBS, you don't have to wade

thru sewage, to get to the visitors' side, and stand when you get there.

I have ............. And the new K'town school is in our region and has the best fascilities in our region only having played sports for 4-5 seasons.WHY because they have $$$$$$$$ to build them.

I know the next words from baldy will be BBBButt you get all that FREE tax money ........BALONEY!! That tax money stops the minute you walk outside the school building. Virtually no tax money goes to support athletics in MOST public schools.

I said you have NOT seen Boyd. Have you or haven't you? Have you seen CPA or DCA or Ezell?

Virtually no tax money? Where do you think that private schools get the money to pay for anything?