Wet Fields

Rebel1202

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are some things that can be done to dry out a baseball field?

Two years ago when Warren County hosted Cookeville, a sudden downpour drenched the field shortly before the game was to start. The Warren County Sheriffs Department flew their helicopter in to help dry the field, and after a lengthy delay, the game was played. Not something you'll see everyday.

I can't imagine many high schools having the budget, but I took the tour of Camden Yards, and they can take 12 inches of water and play 1 hour later. My numbers may be off a tad, but it was incredible. After a hurricane went up the east coast a few years ago, they were playing ball in Baltimore 2 days before they were able to play in Boston.

They have only an inch and a half of top soil. Under that is 18 inches of gravel and sand. The company that designed and installed the system has since put it in at Fenway. So do your research and have a car wash or two.

Two years ago when Warren County hosted Cookeville, a sudden downpour drenched the field shortly before the game was to start. The Warren County Sheriffs Department flew their helicopter in to help dry the field, and after a lengthy delay, the game was played. Not something you'll see everyday.

They do this all of the time at McCallie.

They have Ted Turner's helicopter come in, hover for several minutes, and Voila!, the field is dry.

I would imagine it was more than one gallon. One gallon would dry maybe seven or eight square feet. I had to use five around the home plate circle one time to get a game in and the fire department came to visit me. Seems that kind of burn is illegal in the city limits. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Who knew????? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I would imagine it was more than one gallon. One gallon would dry maybe seven or eight square feet. I had to use five around the home plate circle one time to get a game in and the fire department came to visit me. Seems that kind of burn is illegal in the city limits. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Who knew????? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

So no one gets hurt. Pls use diesel or kerosene for this trick. Works better and a LOT less dangerous.

If you have a couple of hours and the field is not completely under water, you can nail drag the infield. Don't use a mat drag or one of those chain link fences with cinder blocks on top. It won't work near as well. The nail drag worked like a champ not too long ago at all for me. Winds were gusting at about 10-15. The wind was able to air out underneath the field. Within ten minutes, the conditioner on the field was turning from dark dark red to its usual whitish color. I took about an hour to completely dry out with the wind. Then I mat drug it and we were good to go. Unfortunately, we didn't try this until after we canceled the game. But the infield was definitely playable.

Jackson Christian Manager, announcer, waterboy, go-fetcher, idea guru and whatever else coach calls me.

I've seen all of these in practice.

The first line of defense is a good design. That's where the 18" of gravel with field lines that positively drain the field come into play. Typically another 4-6" of sand is on top of the gravel and then a thin layer of topsoil for Bermuda fields. This field doesn't dry fast. It never gets wet. The rainwater just passes on through to the gravel layer which has enough voids to take the water. Field lines take the water away from the field in a hurry. Most high schools do not have the budget for this sort of field.

A more economical way to drain a field is to have positive drainage for the surface water to just drain off the field. No low spots or collection points that will hold water.

If you don't have either a field that is designed to drain, the next best thing is to condition the dirt areas with expanded clay to absorb the rainwater. Once the standing water is down to a sheen, nail dragging doubles the surface area of the soil and decreases the drying time.

Helicopters and diesel fuel are last minute measures to dry a field with too much water on it. Absorbent rollers, kitty litter or other water removal methods should be used early, then nail drag to increase the surface area of the soil. The grass areas are still going to be slick if they aren't addressed. Top dressing with sand will help as will the rollers that pick up excess water. The weather is going to have to cooperated. A lot of sun and or wind will decrease drying times. Don't get on the dirt areas too early or you'll just make a mess. The nail drag has to be able to leave furrows in order to dry.

I'd say for most high schools or rec leagues a well drained field with dirt areas covered with an expanded clay top dressing is the biggest bang for the buck.

A quick way to get standing water off is with a hand pump. A small hole made with a post hole digger or such for water to collect can be pumped off in a matter of minutes. The hole can be placed back, like what is done on a golf green. The water is pumped into a 5 gallon bucket and carried off. Five gallons can be removed within 1 minute. Go to Bass Pro with about $30 and your in business. The wind, sun and a good rake will take care of the rest.