David Jones, SP's RB turning Heads

OLD PIRATE

I'm not saying Jones isn't an SEC player, but Riggs, in high school ran over teams like Riverdale (they won the 5A title his junior year then moved down to 4A). Regardless of how he did in college he was probably the most dominant back ever in Chattanooga. All that post mean was it's a difficult comparison, 1A to 4A/5A. How did Jones do against Tyner, probably the closest to a large school on their schedule in terms of talent, even if it's dropped off in the last couple of years.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying Jones isn't an SEC player, but Riggs, in high school ran over teams like Riverdale (they won the 5A title his junior year then moved down to 4A). Regardless of how he did in college he was probably the most dominant back ever in Chattanooga. All that post mean was it's a difficult comparison, 1A to 4A/5A. How did Jones do against Tyner, probably the closest to a large school on their schedule in terms of talent, even if it's dropped off in the last couple of years.

Old Pirate can't give #'s on David but he carried a high average per touch in all games. He was very limited last year on his touches. That could have been a blessing in that he should be ungry this year to show the beast in him.

OP didn't think Riggs was tougher than Eddie Moore but with a tiny bit more speed. The post OP replied to was a question about the attention surrounding him so early. Riggs was OP's comparsion.

Indian, you may be a Tn fan. Don't you think Riggs's name helped him on his recruiting? Regardless SP has a stud in their backfield with a whole lot of options that'll only help David acheive huge #s.

Rigg's was one of the most dominating running backs in Tennessee high school football history name or no name... If david is being compared to Rigg's wow thats awesome.. I just hope David will carry the mail on the next level a little better than Riggs did.. but in high school Riggs was a man against boy's that just show's you how different the next level can be! To have almost 2,500 yards rushing at that level is amazing....in one year

Rigg's was one of the most dominating running backs in Tennessee high school football history name or no name... If david is being compared to Rigg's wow thats awesome.. I just hope David will carry the mail on the next level a little better than Riggs did.. but in high school Riggs was a man against boy's that just show's you how different the next level can be! To have almost 2,500 yards rushing at that level is amazing....in one year

The problem with Riggs at the next level was not his ability it was his work ethic. He was always in Fulmer's dog house because of his class room work, he had to make up hours in the summer time to become eligible every year. This also carried over in how hard he would work out in the off season. If Riggs would have had the work ethic he would have had an NFL career. He was 215 his senior year and I believe he was a little faster than David.

I believe David is big enough and strong enough, I am not sure about his speed it may be an issue, but he would have no problem rushing for a 1000 yds on the 4A level behind a good line. I think David is a better running back than Robert Roberts even as good as he was but some of these schools might be looking at David also as a LB.

The problem with Riggs at the next level was not his ability it was his work ethic. He was always in Fulmer's dog house because of his class room work, he had to make up hours in the summer time to become eligible every year. This also carried over in how hard he would work out in the off season. If Riggs would have had the work ethic he would have had an NFL career. He was 215 his senior year and I believe he was a little faster than David.

I believe David is big enough and strong enough, I am not sure about his speed it may be an issue, but he would have no problem rushing for a 1000 yds on the 4A level behind a good line. I think David is a better running back than Robert Roberts even as good as he was but some of these schools might be looking at David also as a LB.

Old Pirate agrees with you. Players that want it given to them just never set well with this OP. David appears to be a different sort. Great student with what all say is great work ethic. He can help his speed with continued efforts and dedication.

OP wonders how many games Geno say Riggs play in high school? Had to be several unless he has just been reading some Chattanooga sports writer articles and was impressed with what he read. The Chattanooga press will soon come knocking at the SP locker room, bet on it.

Personally OP saw him a few times and wasn't overly impressed with him while at RedBank. Glad he went to Tn and not Auburn. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Vic does have 3 rings, but only 2 as a head coach. He got one in 1994 as assistant I believe. Congrats to David on the looks. The difference between Eddie Moore and David Jones vs. Gerald Riggs is that Eddie and David won't let anything go to their head. They both have/had excellent work ethic unlike Riggs.

Old Pirate agrees with you. Players that want it given to them just never set well with this OP. David appears to be a different sort. Great student with what all say is great work ethic. He can help his speed with continued efforts and dedication.

OP wonders how many games Geno say Riggs play in high school? Had to be several unless he has just been reading some Chattanooga sports writer articles and was impressed with what he read. The Chattanooga press will soon come knocking at the SP locker room, bet on it.

Personally OP saw him a few times and wasn't overly impressed with him while at RedBank. Glad he went to Tn and not Auburn. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I saw Gerald a few time and he was a great runner... I sat with his dad during a few games.. You do remember his dad was the announcer of a couple south pittsburg games!!! the former Atlanta Falcon great...

You are correct Pirate mike Vic does have 3 rings and as for the players...Lets see here

94- Vincent Banks- Cumberland or ETSU CB

94- Perry Hutchins- Junior College

95- Corey Tipton-Junior College

96- Mayfield-UTC offered

98- Eddie Moore -UT

98- Dan Merriman- Navy & TT

99- Starkey- TT

99- Reames-Sawanee

99 -J.B. Mount -Maryville

99-Pickett and Chambers had many offfers just couldnt get pass the TCAPS

99-Stone Cumberland offered

03-Ron Cook-Sawanee offered instead walked on at UT

03-????? Im sure some others had the chance

05-A. Robinson TT

07- Witherspoon-Tenn. State

07-R. Robinson- Tenn. State

07- A few to Tusculum and Cumberland

Dont get me wrong Im not saying all these guys stuck with it but the offer was there, they just didnt stick with it.

So not too shabby of a resume if you ask me...SP has been notorious in the past for having guys that just didnt have the grades or heart to make it passed High School..

You are correct Pirate mike Vic does have 3 rings and as for the players...Lets see here

94- Vincent Banks- Cumberland or ETSU CB

94- Perry Hutchins- Junior College

95- Corey Tipton-Junior College

96- Mayfield-UTC offered

98- Eddie Moore -UT

98- Dan Merriman- Navy & TT

99- Starkey- TT

99- Reames-Sawanee

99 -J.B. Mount -Maryville

99-Pickett and Chambers had many offfers just couldnt get pass the TCAPS

99-Stone Cumberland offered

03-Ron Cook-Sawanee offered instead walked on at UT

03-????? Im sure some others had the chance

05-A. Robinson TT

07- Witherspoon-Tenn. State

07-R. Robinson- Tenn. State

07- A few to Tusculum and Cumberland

Dont get me wrong Im not saying all these guys stuck with it but the offer was there, they just didnt stick with it.

So not too shabby of a resume if you ask me...SP has been notorious in the past for having guys that just didnt have the grades or heart to make it passed High School..

Perry nor cory went.. they could have but didnt..... a few others fr om the 94 team had offers